Steven Soderbergh/Clive Owen - Cinemax's The Knick

One day closer. Reviews say its better than season one and even more gruesome when it comes to the operating room.

I was just about to talk about the reviews. Looks like Soderbergh and co. cranked things up to 11 this go around, and I'm stoked. Let's get back to this horror show disgusied as a medical period piece!

Some thoughts on the S2 Premier -

. I always love how The Knick's opening credits appear. It's sometimes abrupt, sometimes really early on in the episode or maybe a few minutes in. But the way it's edited in, it's simultaneously this little quarter note rest that acts a transition and a little punch of its own. It's nothing fancy, but its placement each episode by Soderbergh gets me.

. I found the S1 finale heartbreaking in a really humanistic way. The Knick is not a show where there are strictly defined heroes and villains. Everyone is shades of gray. Algernon, as talented and accomplished as he is, is angry, embittered and results to violence as a result of not being able to handle his emotions. Gallinger, even while he is racist, isn't cartoonishly racist to the point where he's just a one-note character. He is a struggling husband and in 'Ten Knots' we get a lot of insight into what makes Gallinger what he is. This episode in general took each of our main characters from the Knickerbocker Hospital and spread them apart trying to reconcile with their personal demons, and since we were more or less invested in the fates of these characters from S1, it really managed to pull it off without having some big overarching plot to pull everyone together.

. That being said, Philip's dad is a total creep.

. Harriet's conversation with Mother Superior was heartbreaking too, but I think there's a lot of relevant stuff that could be taken out of that conversation.

. Martinez's soundtrack during the wrestling scenes were top notch.

. The cinematography out on the Atlantic on Gallinger's boat was outstanding. Just gorgeous.

Detached retinas, peeled-back noses, gigantic abcesses - buckle up, because it's only 1901 on The Knick!

I was just about to talk about the reviews. Looks like Soderbergh and co. cranked things up to 11 this go around, and I'm stoked. Let's get back to this horror show disgusied as a medical period piece!

You think its really a horror show? I think its really just a drama.

The way the show depicts doctors, their procedures and their experiments clearly intend to show how horrifying and nearly insane these medical procedures were in 1900. To the characters of The Knick, they are on the precipice of great discovery, but the dramatic irony is that to us, we see them as obsolete and sometimes horribly misunderstood compared to today's medical procedures. There's no nostalgia for 1900 here, we are meant to be grossed out and not want to live in that time period.

It's not overtly trying to be a horror show - not in the way that say, American Horror Story or Hannibal might be. But the way Soderbergh and co. depict medicine back in its most realistic form lets us bear witness to the reality that these people were more or less working by the seat of their pants sometimes.

I feel comfortable enough to discuss the second episode of Season 2!

This episode felt like a lot more table setting. Amiel and Begler had to reunite the majority of the gang at the Knickerbocker Hospital to get the story rolling, and so while it didn't necessarily advance major plotlines, it set the foundation from which this season will probably move forward from. But thankfully, one of the great things of the Knick is enjoying it's visual inventiveness rather than focusing entirely on its story.

The surgery with Algernon was frightening and I'm really curious as to how he'll fix his eye. I can't even imagine how stuff like optometry came about into becoming an actual field of medicine - all the gristly experiments they must've had to perform. -shudders-

Oh and I just love how the world of the Knick seems to be expanding at such a rapid rate. The introduction of new characters, places and settings help fuel the progressive and modern atmosphere of the show. The world is expanding and we're just barely keeping up with everything.

Last edited:
If someone could please knock Everett out with a hammer and give him a vasectomy that'd be great.

I loved the way Soderbergh just focuses on reactions a lot of the time, and props to Gallinger's actor, because I think many of us for just a moment, thought that eugenics was overboard even to a racist like Gallinger.

But Gallinger's racism is like, opportunistic. He's backed into a corner by life and turns to blame people he deems inferior because his wife is nuts, he's lost two kids and he's not even half the surgeon or man Algie is. His racism reveals his absolutely feeble moral center and how he's so desperate to cling to whatever will allow him to remain atop society.

This season is really strong so far, and still beautiful. I know some were critical of the 5th ep, but I feel like it's just giving us a breather while setting the table for the latter half of the season.

Thackman and Cleary, the dynamic duo! :funny: ...that Brockhurst creep deserves a good beating.

Loving Season 2 so far. Good to see Bertie back where he belongs and Lucy has certainly learned something from those ladies of the night.

I wonder if this season is gonna have a Get The Rope kinda episode. Every episode this season has done some crazy ass surgery and I keep anticipating an entire episode dedicated to some large historical event, but this season has just been spinning so many plates at once it's hard to tell where it's gonna necessarily move besides a few key plot points. Somethings might be resolved in an episode like Bertie's mother's death.

Either way, cool stuff again this episode. Each episode is so captivating.

The sheer visual power of The Knick is astonishing, and the last 1/4 of "This is All We Are" demonstrates that. The Knick is as much an immersive and sensual experience as it is an period drama and it has just been a pleasure to literally see what Soderbergh sees inside his head flow through his camerawork and his editing onto our TV and computer screens these past two years.

I didn't know The Knick was only scheduled to run for 2 seasons. Cinemax has ordered a script for the third season pilot, but I'm glad that the showrunners and Soderbergh got to tell the story that they wanted to initally tell and if we don't have anymore Knick, I will be at peace. This show has been a technical marvel and perhaps the finest example of cinematic TV in this golden age of TV we reside in, and it is a damn shame it hasn't been recognized as such compared to the work of its sister channel, HBO.

Has THE KNICK won any major awards? It's a travesty if it hasn't. What Steven Soderbergh has created is damn near genius.

Steven Soderbergh Says He's About To Pitch Next Two “Extreme” Seasons Of ‘The Knick,’ Wants To Direct

“I told [the network] that I’m going to do the first two years and then we are going to break out the story for seasons 3 and 4 and try and find a filmmaker or filmmakers to do this the way that I did. This is how we want to do this so that every two years, whoever comes on, has the freedom to create their universe,” Soderbergh told us last fall.

“It was always conceived in two-year chunks,” he elaborated earlier this year.*“The writers met yesterday to talk about what year three and four would look like — when would it take place, who are the characters...And that’s what we’re doing now.”

A whole different time period and new characters? Sounds interesting.

‘The Knick’ Returns: Steven Soderbergh Says Barry Jenkins & André Holland Are Plotting A New Season & A Pilot Is Written [Exclusive]

Soderbergh even confirmed that original creators, showrunners, and writers Jack Amiel and Michael Begler were back on board and had already written a pilot episode. “[André and Barry] came up with a really great approach with Jack and Michael,” he explained. “And that seems to be advancing rapidly. I just read the pilot, which is terrific.”

I asked Soderbergh if Jenkins would direct the new ‘Knick’ series, or parts of it, but he didn’t want to speak on the filmmaker’s behalf.

NeERZUZ.gif

Not sure why they need a pilot or new series. Just make a third season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"