Comics Storm & T'Challa: Royal Wedding Countdown Discussion

Cyclops said:
Acting all big and tough is so cool, especially when you're on the Internet.

HEY! Don't make me e-thug yer ash!! *glares threateningly*

:p

weatherwitch said:
HEY! Don't make me e-thug yer ash!! *glares threateningly*

:p

E-StormThugs R' Us
duct08.jpg

"Like a true Storm-freak yo!" :rolleyes:

Naw man, dat thug be all up onz da Wolverine. See da Ws?

'Word? Oh, Aiight--keep it gully! Cuz for real doh, Storm is da sheezy for heezy cuz she controls the breezy!!"

:cool:

And now the picture becomes a little clearer.

Since I'm sure you're coming back... I don't ban anybody. Even when I was a moderator, I didn't have the power to ban people.

I think you have me confused for someone else.

Okay, got it. My bad - I always thought moderators could ban people.

If you are unable to debate this subject with civilty and respect of your peers it can be arranged to where you won't discuss anything at all.

Still waiting on this...by the way, when are you people going to figure out my user name - y'know, the one with nearly 400 posts?

Just read Black Panther #16. Ororo certainly seems giddy as a school girl in T'Challa's presence! I liked the meeting with his mother and her nervousness about how she looked! Ororo certainly fits the princess/warrior woman mold that T'Challa's mother would deem fit for her son. Reading this along with the Storm mini series is starting to make this union more palatable for me. I've never seen T'Challa this human before. It seems however that if they are going to get together Ororo will have to sacrifice ALOT. She wont be an active X-Man and I doubt her royal duties will allow her to continue her crusade against the slave traders throughout Africa. Wakanda still appears to be a very xenophobic society and I fear that they will expect her to do the same. I hope i'm wrong with this of course. I just hope that T'Challa is willing to make some sacrifices of his own for Ororo.

You mean 15, right? 16's not out yet, unless you've got a hookup that I don't know about. :)

weatherwitch said:
Human character, fine-- but that wasn't Panther (at least not before Hudlin) and the fact that Hudlin is jovially promoting the strippers says a lot about how he really thinks (bad place watch BET for more than 15 minutes if you can and get the gist of his oversexed undersubstantiated POV)

The half naked comes from the cover art and the more than risque wedding dress that was designed specifically to have "her boobs pop out". Granted, it's not so much the attire (comic heroes are known for their skimpy clothing) but the need to put her in a bikini all of the sudden.

No, we don't need #6, their backstory was already written. It is being unraveled and rewritten to fit Hudlin's version of panther (a complete bastardization of Priest's).

I own most of Priest's run and all of Hudlin's, so I feel comfortable saying that.

It's on a jet, regardless of quality. Call me a romantic, but I want epic love to have more substance than an implied bump and grind on a plane.

But regardless of circumstance and real life, this is not real life it's a comic with 30-40 year established characters so the old "Life is funny like that" doesn't quite work in this genre where the foundation of good comics and good stories is continuity.

I'm off to bed now, sweet dreams all.

You make interesting points there. What can I say when it comes to The Panther Characteristics Debate, I own zero of Priest's Panther and barely any of Hudlin's. :(

But Hudlin did say he is trying to depict his own version of the Panther/ a different side of T'Challa or was it someone else who said that that was his intentions ? [foot in mouth part of post]

Hope Hudlin's Storm depiction clears up a bit though. Like I was not feeling the whole "blow up the jets with people in them" and Storm casually landing back to continue her conversation. Admittedly that is sauve, maybe even humourous?, and shows off her powers but its not her characteristic to be so calm about killing...

Lol Storm looks good on the cover of BP #15, very regal and proud. As for BP #18 cover, Cho is known for giving his breast effort when drawing women. Storm looks good in the Wedding pic though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
weatherwitch wassup with UIG and KC? :up:

toya thegr8 said:
You make interesting points there. What can I say when it comes to The Panther Characteristics Debate, I own zero of Priest's Panther and barely any of Hudlin's. :(

But Hudlin did say he is trying to depict his own version of the Panther/ a different side of T'Challa or was it someone else [foot in mouth part of post].

Hope Hudlin's Storm depiction clears up a bit though. Like I was not feeling the whole "blow up the jets with people in them" and Storm casually landing back to continue her conversation. Admittedly that is sauve, maybe even humourous?, and shows off her powers but its not her characteristic to be so calm about killing...

Lol Storm looks good on the cover, very regal and proud. Cho is known for giving his breast effort when drawing women. Storm looks good in the Wedding pic though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
weatherwitch wassup with UIG and KC? :up:

LMAO. UIG will be done soon and KC is on hold-- But check out Convergence. I think you'll like it!

Toya, all I can say is hunt down some of Priest's Black Panther in trade format. It'll be more than worth your while if you find some. I particularly like the "Return of the Dragon" three-parter featuring Iron Fist with the "Nuff Said" chapter in the middle. It's a very fun story that will probably give you a pretty decent idea of who the real T'Challa is.

As for his origin, well, it was written in one single issue, "Avengers # 87" from1971 that clearly points out all of Hudlin's errors and inconsistencies in his retelling of the origin. It's currently available packed in with one AWESOME action figure of the Panther under the Marvel Legends banner (and I suspect placed there specifically to contradict Hudlin's depiction, but that's only a suspicion). Included inside are the true origins of BP's archfoe Klaw, who is not an assassin who wanted revenge for his grandpa's death but a scientist who wanted Wakandan vibranium for his experiments and was willing to kill to get it, the true origins of Wakanda's super-technological prowess (contrary to Hudlin, Wakanda wasn't always super-high tech like he claims. Only T'Challa made it so. Wakanda's tech is solely dependent on T'Challa's incredible intellect, not his culture), and so-on and soforth.

And that is specifically why Hudlin's re-imagining of the Panther irks me so, because it is SO INCREDIBLY EASY to get his true backstory and get it right, but instead Hudlin went the entirely disrespectful route of scrapping his origins entirely and the origins of everything around him and making it all his own.

And with any comicbook character who is as established as the Panther, you just can't do that. It's not fair to everybody who's read him and respected him before.

weatherwitch said:
LMAO. UIG will be done soon and KC is on hold-- But check out Convergence. I think you'll like it!

Checked it out and loved it! Excellent and fun as usual. :up:

Cyclops said:
Toya, all I can say is hunt down some of Priest's Black Panther in trade format. It'll be more than worth your while if you find some. I particularly like the "Return of the Dragon" three-parter featuring Iron Fist with the "Nuff Said" chapter in the middle. It's a very fun story that will probably give you a pretty decent idea of who the real T'Challa is.

As for his origin, well, it was written in one single issue, "Avengers # 87" from1971 that clearly points out all of Hudlin's errors and inconsistencies in his retelling of the origin. It's currently available packed in with one AWESOME action figure of the Panther under the Marvel Legends banner (and I suspect placed there specifically to contradict Hudlin's depiction, but that's only a suspicion). Included inside are the true origins of BP's archfoe Klaw, who is not an assassin who wanted revenge for his grandpa's death but a scientist who wanted Wakandan vibranium for his experiments and was willing to kill to get it, the true origins of Wakanda's super-technological prowess (contrary to Hudlin, Wakanda wasn't always super-high tech like he claims. Only T'Challa made it so. Wakanda's tech is solely dependent on T'Challa's incredible intellect, not his culture), and so-on and soforth.

And that is specifically why Hudlin's re-imagining of the Panther irks me so, because it is SO INCREDIBLY EASY to get his true backstory and get it right, but instead Hudlin went the entirely disrespectful route of scrapping his origins entirely and the origins of everything around him and making it all his own.

And with any comicbook character who is as established as the Panther, you just can't do that. It's not fair to everybody who's read him and respected him before.

Thanks for the references Cyclops. It's a good thing I planned to visit my local shop tomorrow anyways and have extra cash to spare.

G'Night

And the real T'Challa returns to take back his throne? :D

LittleMissVixen said:
I hope the Civil War makes Storm an early widow....

Preferably with three adimantium claws stuck up his...*shuts mouth*

As with T'Challa Huldin never bothered to read anything on Storm, not even the angry fan posts at his forum (which would have thought him the essence of Ororo).

LittleMissVixen said:
I hope the Civil War makes Storm an early widow....

Yes,got any more stupid x-smoree jokes?

Cyclops said:
Acting all big and tough is so cool, especially when you're on the Internet.

You do it all the time hypocrite.

This thread can be summed up with the following:

"Hudlin sucks,Storm killed,Storm should be with Forge,Wolvie doesn't talk like that,etc and blah bla bla"

What really pisses me off are x-smorees who haven't even picked up an issue,or any other Marvel book that doesn't have an X on it, of BP going off about how the book sucks and whatever based upon message board responses.This really pisses me off,clueless idiots who don't have a clue who BP is or a what a good comic is.

Then,there are people like Cyclops,who have read BP in the past and most in particular Priest's run.Now I can respect these opinions more than 85% of the garbage in this thread.This is someone not talking out of their ash and someone who hasn't just started picking up x-comics because X3 is coming out.

Hudlin's run is a far cry from Priest's serious tone of a book.It has more humour and romance.Hudlin made it his own style and it is fresh as bad place.The last thing I would want is a Priest wannabee.

In terms of Hudlin's retelling BP's origin,which half of you expletives in here wouldn't have a clue about,yes it was different and tinkered with.As Cyclops mentioned there was an issue of Avengers which tackled it.With having said that,BP's origin was never fully expanded and explored to this magnitude.The history of Wakanda and the roots of the mantle of Black Panther were all delved into with great detail and I thought it payed off.Then again half of you clowns wouldn't know about this since you haven't read it.

Cyclops,you mentioned this not being T'Challa right?I can see where you're coming from.He's no longer the cold and calculating mastermind type he was before.Understood.I personally enjoy Hudlin's take of a more human T'Challa who is very sympathetic,generous and easy going.The royalty is still there and so is his noble character.He is still the strong and wise leader he always was.The arc with Luke Cage showcased his leadership qualities.Different strokes for different folks.

Seriously,if you don't know what you're talking about and simply basing your "arguments" on what's already been said on this board or another,please stop talking out of your ash.

You x-smorees can label Hudlin as bad a writer as you want,seeing as how x-stories these days involve Apocalypse walking into the UN making demands and what not,I can see your standards are obviously high.

GNR4Life said:
This thread can be summed up with the following:

"Hudlin sucks,Storm killed,Storm should be with Forge,Wolvie doesn't talk like that,etc and blah bla bla"

What really pisses me off are x-smorees who haven't even picked up an issue,or any other Marvel book that doesn't have an X on it, of BP going off about how the book sucks and whatever based upon message board responses.This really pisses me off,clueless idiots who don't have a clue who BP is or a what a good comic is.

Then,there are people like Cyclops,who have read BP in the past and most in particular Priest's run.Now I can respect these opinions more than 85% of the garbage in this thread.This is someone not talking out of their ash and someone who hasn't just started picking up x-comics because X3 is coming out.

Hudlin's run is a far cry from Priest's serious tone of a book.It has more humour and romance.Hudlin made it his own style and it is fresh as bad place.The last thing I would want is a Priest wannabee.

In terms of Hudlin's retelling BP's origin,which half of you expletives in here wouldn't have a clue about,yes it was different and tinkered with.As Cyclops mentioned there was an issue of Avengers which tackled it.With having said that,BP's origin was never fully expanded and explored to this magnitude.The history of Wakanda and the roots of the mantle of Black Panther were all delved into with great detail and I thought it payed off.Then again half of you clowns wouldn't know about this since you haven't read it.

Cyclops,you mentioned this not being T'Challa right?I can see where you're coming from.He's no longer the cold and calculating mastermind type he was before.Understood.I personally enjoy Hudlin's take of a more human T'Challa who is very sympathetic,generous and easy going.The royalty is still there and so is his noble character.He is still the strong and wise leader he always was.The arc with Luke Cage showcased his leadership qualities.Different strokes for different folks.

Seriously,if you don't know what you're talking about and simply basing your "arguments" on what's already been said on this board or another,please stop talking out of your ash.

You x-smorees can label Hudlin as bad a writer as you want,seeing as how x-stories these days involve Apocalypse walking into the UN making demands and what not,I can see your standards are obviously high.

The bold and underlined portion of your posts belittles what you have stated in the previous text, GNR4Life. You don't like the X-men comic books, I get that, since you've mentioned it quite alot. Yet, when others say the don't like the Black Panther you are offended? Wow, you even went on to call X-men readers smorees... Not helping.:down :o

The only X-Men comic I but is UXM 'cause Storm is in it..BP is a good comic book also. Haven't been able to get any of Priest's series but Hudlin's Panther is fun and cool.

I agree with GNR somewhat, yet I feel Hudlin was totally disrespectful Priest's work.

I'm feeling what Hudlin's trying to do with BP (especially the arc with Luke Cage and Blade.) I see what he's trying to do. Bring some comraderie between the black male superheroes, It's totally cool with me.

Yet, I can't get past the mishandling of the origin of BP. If marvel put a stronger editor with Hudlin this would be a really strong run on the character for me.

All in all I'm still enjoying Hudlin's Black Panther, but Marvel needs to get a stronger editor for BP.