Comics Storm & T'Challa: Royal Wedding Countdown Discussion

There's seeeerrrious competition/friction between T'Challa and Logan. I'm expecting a brawl at the wedding. And no, I'm not kidding. :o

Lightning Strikez! said:
There's seeeerrrious competition/friction between T'Challa and Logan. I'm expecting a brawl at the wedding. And no, I'm not kidding. :o

STORM SQUAD.....is there an official list...huh...huh...I want on!!!

mightiest_mortal said:
Pah ive got my own :D

Yes, brilliant. Truly. Why is it that people who don't like Storm are frequently found in Storm threads? Is it that she has made such an impact that they feel the need to bash her to feel better about...? What exactly? low self-esteem? Their favorite character not up to snuff? What exactly? I'm genuinely curious as to why the need to bash. I rarely find Storm fans in other threads calling Scott a limp-d**ked pushover, or Colossus a hunk of tin, or Wolverine a feral neanderthal...

Perhaps a Storm basher would care to enlighten me on their petty antics in regards to a fictional character.

weatherwitch said:
Yes, brilliant. Truly. Why is it that people who don't like Storm are frequently found in Storm threads? Is it that she has made such an impact that they feel the need to bash her to feel better about...? What exactly? low self-esteem? Their favorite character not up to snuff? What exactly? I'm genuinely curious as to why the need to bash. I rarely find Storm fans in other threads calling Scott a limp-d**ked pushover, or Colossus a hunk of tin, or Wolverine a feral neanderthal...

Perhaps a Storm basher would care to enlighten me on their petty antics in regards to a fictional character.

its because recently, pretty much every thread in this place has been turning into a storm discussion thread or an argument on wether shes an omega mutant or a powerful sorceress or god knows what else. Even the "what dont you like about your favourite creator" thread has descended in to another Storm debate now. Seriously... its impossible to get away from her.
People keep going on about how great she is because shes so powerful, but the Way I see it, theres only been two issues where ive actually found storm interesting.

Uncanny X-Men 290 - Where Forge takes back his marriage proposition

X-Men Unlimited #1 - Where Storm is burning up because of a SERIOUS flaw in her mutant power.

Its not because i like seeing her in pain, but these brought a different side out to her, and showed that she was vulnerable. 290 especially. She actually seemed like a real person and not some ridiculously overwritten uber goddess women.

mightiest_mortal said:
its because recently, pretty much every thread in this place has been turning into a storm discussion thread or an argument on wether shes an omega mutant or a powerful sorceress or god knows what else. Even the "what dont you like about your favourite creator" thread has descended in to another Storm debate now. Seriously... its impossible to get away from her.
People keep going on about how great she is because shes so powerful, but the Way I see it, theres only been two issues where ive actually found storm interesting.

Uncanny X-Men 290 - Where Forge takes back his marriage proposition

X-Men Unlimited #1 - Where Storm is burning up because of a SERIOUS flaw in her mutant power.

Its not because i like seeing her in pain, but these brought a different side out to her, and showed that she was vulnerable. 290 especially. She actually seemed like a real person and not some ridiculously overwritten uber goddess women.

Right, so the fact that some of her fans irritate the crap out of you, you formed a "skanky ho" squad?

I can understand being irritated in another thread that the discussion was about Storm when not intended--however, coming to a Storm thread and bashing is not the most mature or intelligent response to that.

I could argue every thread has remnants of a Phoenix debate as well. Or that Cyclops' death/not death clouds many discussions. Regardless I have yet to see anyone form a Scott's a dukee squad, or a Red-head haters Guild.

I don't care if you like or dislike Storm--everyone is entitled to their opinion. The bashing and purposeful instigating are tiresome though. Not just from you, from many Storm haters. Just as tiring are those that see her as an infallable goddess and all powerful supreme being. If she were those things I guarantee that I would not find her as appealing a character as I do.

Where even are all these storm bashers?
I wasnt exactly doing extensive bashing there, and my follow up post, explained my reasons for dislike and my opinionis.

There really isnt all that much Storm bashing on these forums.. youl find most of the storm discussion goes...

GenericStormFan "Storm is the greates there is.. By the Goddes... she can beat any one"

notStormFan "no.. she really couldnt"

GenericStormFan "Yes she can, Storm is all powerful.. noone is more powerful than her. If there is a reason someone is powerful, storm must have it too because she is more powerful than everyone"

notStormFan "umm... no....shes not [+extensive research why storm isnt all poweful]"

GenericStormFan "pah.. that means nothing.. Storm is more powerful than everyone else there is..."

notStormFan "...really not caring anymore...."

Then repeat this about 20 times

...now picture this... but EVERYWHERE!!!!

mightiest_mortal said:
Where even are all these storm bashers?
I wasnt exactly doing extensive bashing there, and my follow up post, explained my reasons for dislike and my opinionis.

There really isnt all that much Storm bashing on these forums.. youl find most of the storm discussion goes...

GenericStormFan "Storm is the greates there is.. By the Goddes... she can beat any one"

notStormFan "no.. she really couldnt"

GenericStormFan "Yes she can, Storm is all powerful.. noone is more powerful than her. If there is a reason someone is powerful, storm must have it too because she is more powerful than everyone"

notStormFan "umm... no....shes not [+extensive research why storm isnt all poweful]"

GenericStormFan "pah.. that means nothing.. Storm is more powerful than everyone else there is..."

notStormFan "...really not caring anymore...."

Then repeat this about 20 times :D
...now imagine this... but EVERYWHERE!!!!

The bashing is not so prevelant in the comic thread--I'm used to the combined Storm/Halle bashing of the movie thread. However, a vast majority of Storm fans are knowledgable and can back up what they say. There are a few that can't and won't and do not know when to shut up. But to have a mad-on for a character based on her fans (especially the ridiculous ones), well, I still don't quite get.

For the record, it's the 'skanky ho' tag on your sig that is currently what I consider bashing. Yeah, that's bashing. :p With each and every post.

megawatt said:
I just got them yesterday. I absolutely loved BP#14. The discussion on the plane between Panther and Cage was worth the issue alone. Panther's brief meeting with our favorite "troll" was icing on the cake!!! :up:

I don't think the lil runt is going to give up that easily!!!

I agree....Black Panther 14 was a great read. I loved seeing the vulerable side of Storm....I liked the line, "Where were you when I need you?....you left me alone, a child, in love for the first time!...I would have done anything for you...we would have had it all...it would have been perfect"

melodramatic...but I cant help it....i liked it

exploding boy said:
i want to be part of your squad!!

See Mightiest Mortal? On a Storm thread, perused by mainly Storm fans and this kind of instigating comment. Not in a Cyclops thread. Not in a general X-Men thread, but a Storm thread--in particular the Storm romance thread. Yeah, I'd say that was inflammatory and bashing. Not to mention juevenile and annoying.

"Boo hoo, I don't like Storm and she's crowding the threads so I'll call her ugly names and pout like petulant children. I know, I know, let's form an I don't like Storm club."

One sec, I'll fetch you boys your pacifiers and stuffed bears.

LittleMissVixen said:
I agree....Black Panther 14 was a great read. I loved seeing the vulerable side of Storm....I liked the line, "Where were you when I need you?....you left me alone, a child, in love for the first time!...I would have done anything for you...we would have had it all...it would have been perfect"

melodramatic...but I cant help it....i liked it

I just got BP 14. I haven't read it yet--and now, maybe I don't want to. Is that Storm whining like that? I disliked Hudlin before....now I loathe the man's depictation of Storm. Vulnerable? Sure. Feminine? Sure. Weak and Whiney? Gag.

weatherwitch said:
I just got BP 14. I haven't read it yet--and now, maybe I don't want to. Is that Storm whining like that? I disliked Hudlin before....now I loathe the man's depictation of Storm. Vulnerable? Sure. Feminine? Sure. Weak and Whiney? Gag.

Uh huh...:rolleyes:

Her first love finally wants to pick up where they left off and you don't think she wouldn't be emotional about it? She cried when Forge decided not to marry her. She just holds it in better than the rest.

Red Mask said:
Uh huh...:rolleyes:

Her first love finally wants to pick up where they left off and you don't think she wouldn't be emotional about it? She cried when Forge decided not to marry her. She just holds it in better than the rest.

Her childhood crush. Big difference between the full fledged intimate love that she had with Forge and the childhood--again childhood--love she had for T'Challa. So I see her "we could have had it all, it could have been perfect" line a load of overdramatized bs by Hudlin. Especially considering the character and what she has been through, the life she has had, the difference she has made. I don't see Storm all that distraught over not having the 'perfect life' or 'perfect love' given the life she chose to lead.

weatherwitch said:
Her childhood crush. Big difference between the full fledged intimate love that she had with Forge and the childhood--again childhood--love she had for T'Challa. So I see her "we could have had it all, it could have been perfect" line a load of overdramatized bs by Hudlin. Especially considering the character and what she has been through, the life she has had, the difference she has made. I don't see Storm all that distraught over not having the 'perfect life' or 'perfect love' given the life she chose to lead.

You are right when you say "think about all she has been through"....Storm lost the two most important people in her life when her parents died. She falls in with petty criminals and spends the next few years of her life picking pockets. Then she meets someone...a kindred spirit and bam...HE IS GONE! That's twice the most trusted people in her life have left her. The girl is what 15 maybe 16...? Storm isn't whiny...but she does have feelings. It is her strength that got her through all of this instead of her degenerating into a major headcase. Perhaps it was because of all the disappointments and heartaches that she had to face early on, that she hesitated with Forge.

Sure it was a moment of weakness. After the trauma of losing her parents, being alone, destitute and having to fend for ones self made her a strong, independent, fierce…and yet a sad survivor. She finally opens herself up to someone…she takes the risk to love someone…and he leaves her…alone again.

No, she did not collapse in a puddle of tears. She picked herself up, and kept moving on. But, she withheld a part of herself from every further relationships (the very, very few). So the confrontation with T’Challa triggered a vulnerable and emotional response. She became that “hurt girl” for an instant, which is okay. Storm doesn’t always have to be the strong, badass ultimate superheroine diva.

Lightning Strikez! said:

Well...since they say it's such an universe changing event maybe...just maybe...she ends up marrying Wolvie instead of TChalla.

I never really applied for the Storm Squad...i just saw the mssage in STWOX and decided to stick it in my sig.

weatherwitch said:
I could argue every thread has remnants of a Phoenix debate as well. Or that Cyclops' death/not death clouds many discussions. Regardless I have yet to see anyone form a Scott's a dukee squad, or a Red-head haters Guild.

I'm up for it.

Now back to the topic at hand: I haven'ts een the comic, but it sounds good from what people have been saying about it. I think Storm should show emotions more frequently. She's been trough a lot, and she was there for a lot of people, but she never really had someone she could really open up to.

LittleMissVixen said:
Sure it was a moment of weakness. After the trauma of losing her parents, being alone, destitute and having to fend for ones self made her a strong, independent, fierce…and yet a sad survivor. She finally opens herself up to someone…she takes the risk to love someone…and he leaves her…alone again.

No, she did not collapse in a puddle of tears. She picked herself up, and kept moving on. But, she withheld a part of herself from every further relationships (the very, very few). So the confrontation with T’Challa triggered a vulnerable and emotional response. She became that “hurt girl” for an instant, which is okay. Storm doesn’t always have to be the strong, badass ultimate superheroine diva.

I don't want strong badass Storm all the time, I've said at least a dozen times I like her to have flaws, vulnerability and such. But that, no matter how you cut it, was a whine. It's been 15 years since their "romance" in Africa and she's all --"It could have been perfect".

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. I have yet to read the comic, it's sitting in the other room. Perhaps in context it will feel different, but as of right now, it sounds like a whine.

weatherwitch said:
I don't want strong badass Storm all the time, I've said at least a dozen times I like her to have flaws, vulnerability and such. But that, no matter how you cut it, was a whine. It's been 15 years since their "romance" in Africa and she's all --"It could have been perfect".

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. I have yet to read the comic, it's sitting in the other room. Perhaps in context it will feel different, but as of right now, it sounds like a whine.

give it a read when you have a chance, you "might" feel differently...or not ;)

On another note, i did like that Luke asked why Storm's Royal Kenya family never went looking for her....T'Challa's response seemed to be foreshadowing...