Comics Storyline info for Brubaker's upcoming run on Uncanny

Specter313

Ghost of all things X
Reaction score
UNCANNY X-MEN #475 & #476
Written by Ed Brubaker
Pencils & Wraparound Cover by Billy Tan
“THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SHI’AR EMPIRE” Parts 1 & 2!
A brand new era for the Uncanny X-Men begins here! Fresh off X-Men: Deadly Genesis, Ed Brubaker takes the helm of Marvel’s mighty mutants. Billy Tan joins Ed for a story that won’t just affect earth, but will rock the foundations of the entire galaxy! Vulcan is out for revenge and has his sites set on the Shi’Ar Empire! Get ready for the ride of your life! A perfect starting point for any new reader!
32 PGS. (each)/Rated T+ …$2.99 (each)

UNCX475cvrcol.jpg

Heck, I say let Vulcan wipe them damn Shi'ar out!​

I think overall that this and the new X-Men line ups have too little main/"star" X-Men.

I mean, here the only one really is Nightcrawler. And in X-Men Rogue and Iceman.

They both sound cool, but the overall line ups are a little underwhelming. We've lost Storm, Gambit, Psylocke and Bishop!!

It's nuts.

NocturnalMadman said:
I think overall that this and the new X-Men line ups have too little main/"star" X-Men.

I mean, here the only one really is Nightcrawler. And in X-Men Rogue and Iceman.

They both sound cool, but the overall line ups are a little underwhelming. We've lost Storm, Gambit, Psylocke and Bishop!!

It's nuts.

That, I'm actually a bit happy about, believe it or not. Some of those characters that aren't on have become a little stale, and could use some time off, and some of these new line ups give more characters chances to shine, such as Warpath, Sabes, and Mystique.

NocturnalMadman said:

I agree with this. I know many would like to see the lesser characters developed, but darnit, I'm old-school about that. When I want to read about the X-Men, I want THE X-MEN... the characters I grew up with, watched in the movie, etc.

So I'm sticking just with Astonishing for now, because it's got most of the big names... although, since Nightcrawler and Rachel are both among my favorites, I may give in to temptation and start getting Uncanny before long. OTOH, I really could take or leave the Shi'ar. There's only so many times the X-Men can do their take on "Star Wars" before I decide I'd really rather just read X-Men stories and pop in my DVD of Star Wars...

I digress. What I'm trying to say is, I really think the books could benefit from getting back to basics a little bit-- the classic characters with their classic themes. Just MHO.

NocturnalMadman said:

In that cover alone, and in Bru's line-up, are Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Marvel Girl, Warpath, and kinda-sorta Xavier. Um. Too few main X-Men? Let's see. Uh... Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Marvel Girl, and kinda-sorta Xavier. That's five out of six. That's 83% main X-Men on the cover. (Yes, I forgot if Bru mentioned any others in the interview he did a while back.)

El Bastardo said:
In that cover alone, and in Bru's line-up, are Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Marvel Girl, Warpath, and kinda-sorta Xavier. Um. Too few main X-Men? Let's see. Uh... Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Marvel Girl, and kinda-sorta Xavier. That's five out of six. That's 83% main X-Men on the cover. (Yes, I forgot if Bru mentioned any others in the interview he did a while back.)

There's one more mystery character that no one knows yet.

Brubaker better stay on Cap and DD,that's all I gotta say.

El Bastardo said:

I think he means A-list X-men, which would be Nightcrawler, Rogue and Iceman, the ones he listed.

I wish Mystique and Sabertooth had actual reasons for joining the X-men, instead of "hey, I was a crazy murdering psycho who killed Moira yesterday, let me on the team please..."

I guess the phrase "main X-Men" here is supposed to mean "characters who were in the first two movies." You know, because heaven forbid two characters who've been part of the X-Men since the 1970s (Havok & Polaris) count as "main X-Men."

Or even A-list X-Men.

Havok's only Cyke's brother and led the team of one of the X-titles. Definitely not A-list material.

Manic said:
I guess the phrase "main X-Men" here is supposed to mean "characters who were in the first two movies." You know, because heaven forbid two characters who've been part of the X-Men since the 1970s (Havok & Polaris) count as "main X-Men."

But they have spent a lot of that time as reserves, members of X-Factor... even villains. And these days... I like Havok, but isn't he the "second-string Cyclops," sorta? And writers don't know *what* to do with Lorna except make her crazy...

FieryBalrog said:
I wish Mystique and Sabertooth had actual reasons for joining the X-men, instead of "hey, I was a crazy murdering psycho who killed Moira yesterday, let me on the team please..."

Well, it wasn't yesterday. In comic time, it was more like a week! Everybody knows somebody who was a serial killer last week and a social worker today, don't they? Don't they?!

Huh... I must be hangin' in the wrong social circles...

(All I wanna know, is it too much to ask for Rahne to come back and at least contemplate ripping faces off? I would enjoy that...)

^ I meant Mystique's face, specifically.

C'mon, it's not as though she can't morph herself another!

rjb182 said:
^ I meant Mystique's face, specifically.

C'mon, it's not as though she can't morph herself another!
So long as she survives it, yeah...

Havok, Polaris and Warpath....on a team together...Dude, I am sold. Screw the old school X-Men....well dont screw them but give others a chance to shine. Times change, besides its not like the "old school" arent in the limelight anymore... Havok and Polaris have been around for as long as the "original team" that would qualify most as older characters

so...Vulcan is the bad guy? is he gonna stay one though? methinks not

Manic said:

Havok and Polaris have been around since the 60's and I love both of them, but they're not A-list X-men, anymore than Sauron is a major villain and he's been around as long as they have.

That said, I am pleased they are being given more of a chance to shine, Adjectiveless was supposed to be that chance but its been terrible what with Austen then Milligan screwing things up and Emma and Storm being given more screen time than Alex & Lorna.

At least Austen wrote Havok in a positive way. Austen's Adjectiveless was pretty peachy, and maybe if he'd had more time to write it, Iceman wouldn't have come off quite as bad as he did.

Personally, I like what Austen did for Havok's team.

OutcryX said:
so...Vulcan is the bad guy? is he gonna stay one though? methinks not

For probably the next year he will be.

El Bastardo said:
At least Austen wrote Havok in a positive way. Austen's Adjectiveless was pretty peachy, and maybe if he'd had more time to write it, Iceman wouldn't have come off quite as bad as he did.

Personally, I like what Austen did for Havok's team.

Eh, I couldn't disagree with you more. Austen is the one who set the precedent for the whiny Havok-Iceman-Lorna *****-fest, back in his first arc on Adjectiveless. He set up the roots for even worse soap operatics back in Uncanny with the terrible Lorna-Havok-Mary Sue Annie triangle, and after that he just randomly disposed of Annie (small loss, but at least put some LOGIC into her sudden departure and Havok not caring at all) and tried to have Havok working for Lorna's affections again, as if it made any sense after what happened at the Wedding.

I like to refer to that moment as "The Austen Cop-Out." As soon as he left the book, he decided to just magically undo his entire run over the course of one or two issues. So suddenly, Annie & Carter are gone and no one cares, Juggernaut and Nocturne (a left-over from Austen's run on Exiles) have faded away, and half of his cast isn't on an active team.

I get that the guy's run wasn't exactly popular, but he should've at least had the guts to leave something behind for the next writer. Even the stuff that some of us liked was gone.

why i don't like is what happened to carter and his "imaginary" friend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"