Suicide Squad box office prediction - Part 3

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...superman-alone

"“Batman v Superman,” one of the most expensive films ever made, is on pace to produce a $278 million profit for Warner Bros. once home video, TV and merchandise proceeds are tallied, according to SNL Kagan analyst Wade Holden. That’s less than the estimated $300 million the studio earned from “Man Of Steel.”"

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Man...ab=video-sales
Total Domestic Video Sales $109,226,383

That's excluding international sales

b.o = 300M profit WW, minus 225M budget+150M marketing, add 170M sponsorship = 95M profit.

Total 300M profit means MOS earned over 200M from home entertainment and merchandising/toys.

It's b.o is 73rd on the all time ranking, 17th on blu ray sales, take out maybe near half of pre 2009 movies b.o is still around 35th, so 17th post 2009 is pretty dominating.

Overall, MoS Blu-ray has sold very well though (#17 of all time in the US with ~3.2M copies):

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

Thank you for these links @Greenlite and @Geetard, thanks a ton. It's incredibly satisfying to know that one of my favorite CBM of all time did so well in terms of revenue from the Blu-Ray and DVD sales and merchandises. I'm really so happy right now. :chd::chd:

Was there ever any conclusion made about whether the Ultimate Edition being on Blu Ray helped sales for Dawn of Justice?

Was there ever any conclusion made about whether the Ultimate Edition being on Blu Ray helped sales for Dawn of Justice?

For the first time I saw specific numbers for how many Blu-Rays Batman V Superman sold in it's first week. It sold 1.2 million units.

That's similar to Zootopia and Fast and Furious 7.

Jurassic World sold 1.5 million units.
Deadpool sold 1.7
Star Wars sold 3.4.

This was posted in the BvS main thread.

Now from this link it's clear that Furious 7 made good money from Blu-Ray and DVD sales even though it's only at the top in it's first week of release while BvS UC was at the top in it's first 4 weeks after release and it probably was on top for another week before The Jungle Book released.

After almost 7 weeks, BvS still remained a top seller in the Blu-Ray and DVD market.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-jungle-book-notches-second-week-atop-disc-charts-1201860880/

Warner’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” out since mid-July, finished the week at No. 3 on the Blu-ray Disc chart and No. 5 on the overall disc sales chart.

I think it's fair to say that the UC definitely helped BvS a great deal when it comes to Blu-Ray and DVD sales.

It really dispels the myth that the theatrical box office is when the film stops making money. The DVD/Blu Ray/Digital Download is more important than ever.

It really dispels the myth that the theatrical box office is when the film stops making money. The DVD/Blu Ray/Digital Download is more important than ever.

Exactly. :up:

Among CBMs, the best performers when it comes to Blu-Ray and DVD sales are....

1>The Avengers

2>TDKR
3>GotG
4>MOS

I love it, MOS got a lot of love from people and it makes me so happy. :woot::woot:

Really? The Dark Knight isn't there, but Rises is? Interesting, though I don't think that Blu Ray had caught on in 2008 versus 2012, so maybe that's part of the reason.

Really? The Dark Knight isn't there, but Rises is? Interesting, though I don't think that Blu Ray had caught on in 2008 versus 2012, so maybe that's part of the reason.

'Sales estimates are for sales since July 21, 2009, when our Blu-ray sales tracking started. Sales for The Dark Knight are therefore incomplete. All other titles have complete data.'

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

TDK came out in December 2008, so a lot of sales figures missing there since their list begins in July 2009.

Did you read link? Only time it was number 1 was first week. So you wrong that it was top seller for month.

I did read it. If I drop a link, it means I read it. If you read it, you'll see there are separate unit sales charts for standard DVD ad Blu-ray.

This article which I will link to now was published 4.5 months after Man of Steel dropped on home video/digital. It's generated a minimum of another $40 million in those formats, and as you can see by the Nash chart in the other link, the Blu-ray continues to sell.

Man of Steel, which was 2013's third best-selling Blu-ray according to the story (behind Despicable Me 2 and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey), generated more than $69 million on the format, compared to about $49 million for Iron Man 3. What's significant about that separation is that Man of Steel sold nearly twice what Iron Man 3 did (more than 2.7 million units, compared to less than 1.5 million).
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/04/0...-3-in-dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-by-a-wide-margin/

Forget the Blu-Ray sales bro, the DVD sales of TDK is pure madness. :woot::woot::woot:

On DVD sales alone, TDK made $282,292,956. :yay:

Forget the Blu-Ray sales bro, the DVD sales of TDK is pure madness. :woot::woot::woot:

so with Blu-Ray sales it goes beyond $3 billion? that's pure madness lol

so with Blu-Ray sales it goes beyond $3 billion? that's pure madness lol

182a4a91a47ab4e2a406c1f8dc364dbc1592225b94e95c59ea242e86133b8e75_1.gif

I don't represent the mainstream or everyone else, but I bought the BvS UE on the first day it came out, and if SS doesn't have an UE and the blu ray features are the same on DVD, I'll just buy it when it's like $10 in 2 months. Here we got the same special features for both blu-ray and dvd for TDK, TDKR and BvS (except the UE, that's only blu ray, so I bought a blu ray player for it, helped by the fact that I found out blu ray players stream videos from my computer and online, so I managed to binge watch Gotham S2 on TV, way better than watching the little computer screen, very happy for an out of date guy like me)

Thank you for these links @Greenlite and @Geetard, thanks a ton. It's incredibly satisfying to know that one of my favorite CBM of all time did so well in terms of revenue from the Blu-Ray and DVD sales and merchandises. I'm really so happy right now. :chd::chd:

200_s.gif

I know!

Does anyone know how much $ MOS actually made on blu ray? Then we can work back on roughly how much its toys/t-shirts etc made.

http://screenrant.com/christopher-nolan-director-dunkirk-salary/
Nolan is being paid $20 million upfront plus 20 percent of the gross for Dunkirk

Wonder how much the DCEU directors are getting, I always thought directors get about 5M for big budget movies.

It really dispels the myth that the theatrical box office is when the film stops making money.

That was never a thing. When J.E. Epstein published The Hollywood Economist back in 2010 analyzing and detailing box performance for movies of the past 50 years, one of the thing he highlighted was that, back in the early 2000's, box office basically accounted for less than 18% of the total revenue a movie generates. The trend, all the way back from the late 40's actually, shows that share steadily decreasing over time and even though the home video market is not as strong and profitable as it was say 10 years ago there so many new factors, techs and players nowadays that it's safe to say that we probably are at an even lower level now. And that is just for your regular blockbuster not necessarily the merchandise inclined comic book movies.

Last edited:
A certain poster here insisted the revenue from home entertainment/merchandising takes so long to come in that it's not significant, or rather his point was b.o. revenue is the most most most important thing because you get it upfront basically.

10). Suicide Squad (WB), 1,638 theaters (-534) / $459K Fri. (-43%) / 3-day cume: $1.8M (-42%) / Total cume: $320.8M / Wk 9

Numbers from previously released CBMs

TASM grossed 257.8 million after 52 days. In the subsequent weekend it made 0.49 million and it's final domestic gross stands at 262 million.

Ant-Man grossed 174.5 million after 56 days. In the next 3 days it grossed 1.6 million and it's final domestic tally is at 178.3 million.

GotG made 315.4 million after 56 days and it's final domestic gross is 333 million.

If these numbers are any indication, SS will definitely reach 321+5=326 million.

If SS does 40% of what GotG did from this point onward, final domestic gross will be 321+(40% of 17.5)=328 million.

Numbers from previously released CBMs

TASM grossed 257.8 million after 52 days. In the subsequent weekend it made 0.49 million and it's final domestic gross stands at 262 million.

Ant-Man grossed 174.5 million after 56 days. In the next 3 days it grossed 1.6 million and it's final domestic tally is at 178.3 million.

GotG made 315.4 million after 56 days and it's final domestic gross is 333 million.

I think we should compare SS's 8th week with GotG's 10th week as both made 3.9M. Comparing their respective 56th day (and the money they made/ will make in the rest of their run) isn't quite apt, considering GotG made 477k and SS made 161k.

I think we should compare SS's 8th week with GotG's 10th week as both made 3.9M. Comparing their respective 56th day (and the money they made/ will make in the rest of their run) isn't quite apt, considering GotG made 477k and SS made 161k.

You're right and that's why I didn't say that SS will do GotG numbers. I compared TASM and Ant-Man's theatrical run and it indicates that SS will rake in at least 4.5-5 million from now onward to the end of its theatrical run.

As for GotG comparisons, in my last sentence I wrote SS might do 40% of GotG's gross from it's 56th day. Hence 40% of 17.5 million added to the existing domestic BO of SS, making the final tally closer to 328 million. I'm not really counting on it but it could happen.

A certain poster here insisted the revenue from home entertainment/merchandising takes so long to come in that it's not significant, or rather his point was b.o. revenue is the most most most important thing because you get it upfront basically.

If that was true and If the revenue generated from the sale of merchandise stuff was indeed insignificant, then.. Marvel Studios would not have cared to get back merchandise rights to Spider-man movie back from Sony Pictures.

And, Studios would never bother to release tons of merch stuff, if the profit was such insignificant amount, which is not the case at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"