Super Mario Super Mario Bros 3 vs Super Mario World

I went with SMB3. It's the only game with the raccoon, frog, and hammer bro. suits. Mario World just feels like a "prettier" Mario 3 with parallax scrolling. It's like Win7 vs XP. Win 7 is just a prettier XP, although XP beats Win7 in every performance areas except newer hardwares are reluctant to write drivers for it.

Now that I think about it, Mario U just didn't feel like a "traditional" Mario based off of SMB3. It felt more like Mario World, which is why I wasn't as excited as I could have been watching its debut in an E3 trailer... In fact, I was more excited watching the Mario World 3D (U) trailer with the cat suits b/c that's closer to SMB3. (Squirel suit = same as cape. Cat suit = closer to raccoon suit)

Last edited:
Mario World is more violent than Mario 3. Things like Mario stomping down a whole castle, stomping koopas out of their shells, Yoshi eating koopas alive...

Not to mention Mario's crualty to said Yoshi to eat it's victims alive by punching it in the back of the head.

Mario definitely has a dark side. :ninja:

dkjrheader--article_image.jpg

There's a youtube vid all about it. A 2-parter, even

Common guys... In SMB3, Mario can throw hammers in the hammer suit, and I wouldn't call that violent, more like cute. Nobody in their right mind would go around throwing hammers in real life. Even a preschool toddler will play Mario 3 and laugh at all the silly things Mario does...

It's the way the video game has an impact on your emotions after you turn the system off. If you take the time to observe your emotions, you'll find playing SMW makes you inwardly angry afterwards (b/c of all the violence you just consumed), while playing SMB3 usually has no impact on you. To me SMB3 is like a light escapism adventure, while in SMW, you're trying to find an outlet to release your anger, only you become angrier afterwards...

Mario 3 makes you believe you're beating up plush toys and models, while SMW makes you believe you're actually killing/consuming koopas that exist in real life.

Last edited:
Well, it helps that in SMB3 it is presented as a stage play to make it seem less violent. That all of it was fake...

What the **** are you guys talking about in here?

lol I see a segment of Mario on Robot chicken on him in GTA again, which I haven't seen for a while and now this is talked about on how violet he is.

lol it's been an interesting and entertaining weekend.

Also, Mario may be a Communist.

Late to the thread, but SMB 3. The level theme was more addictive, and I liked the power ups more. Yoshi was a decent new addition, but I prefered not to used him, even though his inclusion kinda compels you to.

SM World has strong nostalgia factor though. I still remember my first time playing it actually. They had it up in a Walmart on one of those small monitors. I played for about 30 mins while my parents shopped, and a line of 2-3 kids formed behind me, lol. I got stuck at the part where you run up that little corner deal up the side of a pipe. I didn't get it at the time, and kept trying to jump over the pipe, or running back and forth to fly up. I finally got frustrated and went to look for my mom, heh.

Super Mario World. One of my favorite games ever.

Super Mario 3 revolutionized the new Mario game play. Got to go with that one. Mario World just added some new dimensions.

I would say it was more of a natural evolution than a revolution, and that goes for both games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"