Supergirl Supergirl Costume Discussion Thread

It looks great in the Variety photos.

EIWPKck.jpg

TT5arxu.jpg

I have a slight issue with the belt, which could do with a buckle or something, but I'm absolutely fine with her boots. They may be slightly darker but that's a non issue for me.

Her hair looks quite blonde in these photos. I think Supergirl needs to be photographed in natural daylight instead of a dark studio. Her character just lends herself to that setting.

I would prefer her boots were below her knees though without the kneecaps on them.

I actually quite like the tights and the high boots. I think they give the costume a sense of personality that has always been missing from her Comic book one.

I'm loving her in those tights :eek: Very nice! Actually in the variety pics in makes her legs look better.

Kind of hate the tights. It looked so much better in the bank robbery scene without them.

the costume is fantastic! must be the first time in a looooong time that i seen a DC superhero costume that i want nothing tweaked :woot:

oh wait.... i also felt the same about The Flash's costume. hopefully this is a good omen.

The suit is just about perfect IMO. I wasn't a huge fan of how the :super: meshed with the rest of the suit, but once I saw the suit in the pilot it looks pretty good.

I'm digging the suit more than I thought when I first saw it. I think it looks fine, kind of Man of Steel-esq. Less bright colors, more deep sedated.

Anyone else noticed something about the cape?

They use two capes:

-a soft fabric one for up-close flying scenes
-a leathery one for any other scenes

Anyone else noticed something about the cape?

I noticed that.

I wonder if it had something to do with the final scene between Kara and Jimmy when Jimmy gifts her with Kal-El's baby blanket to serve as a new cape? Maybe they got confused about what material was meant to be used by Kara in which scenes (i.e. they didn't know when that scene with Jimmy was meant to occur)? Personally, I liked the "leather" cape which seemed to match the boots.

I prefer the white Supergirl outfit, I think it gives Supergirl more of her own identity instead of going with the Superman ripeoff colors.

Each to their own but I prefer the blue, I think it was great in the Timmverse that she started out with the white costume but eventually upgraded to the blue costume.

Blue for me, too. I'm also glad they went with the red skirt instead of blue.

Wrong thread.

Last edited:
Costume Designer Colleen Atwood on Making the Heroes of ‘Flash’ & ‘Arrow’ Look Super
What were your inspirations for the Supergirl costume? I love that it prioritizes practicality over the general comic book principle of revealing a lot of skin, as is the case with a lot of female costumes.

I feel like there’s a real love for Americana with Supergirl, and I wanted to really embrace that heart of women — there’s enough skin out there in the world, it’s not for everybody and Melissa was just the right person to pull it off. When I read the script I was just really blown away by how strong it was, and I wanted the character to have a strength and presence of self without a bunch of stuff.
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/supergirl-costume-colleen-atwood-flash-arrow-emmy-1201511007/

i really do enjoy the classic feel to it. :up:
and i appreciate the costume designer's approach to it as well

Colleen Atwood was the costume designer who was working on Superman Lives before that got canned.

I wonder, if and when Superman appears (he would have to, right?), that she will be able to finally create her Superman suit that will be seen on screen.

I would definitely like to see her take on the suit.

I'm mildly interested in seeing how she'd handle breaking up all the blue, because I doubt she'd be allowed to let him wear the briefs.

Just make it like her Superman Lives suit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"