Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
What decade is it? I'm pretty sure ratings mean very little in today's TV landscape.

Warner Bros. makes over $1 billion dollars from their DC related TV shows from things like the Netflix deals. That's almost as much as their superhero movies. Really the main purpose of the CW is to give a platform for first run episodes.
That's why the CW can renew shows like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which gets a season average 0.2 rating and an audience of around a half a million. While a ratings dependent network like CBS cancels a show like The Great Indoors, which had a season average of 1.4 and 7 million viewers. What Supergirl haters fail to realize by only concentrating on Supergirl's numbers is it is the 2nd highest rated show on their network. Basically they would have to wipe almost their entire slate clean if Supergirl's numbers aren't good enough for them. Because there is only one show on the CW that does just a little bit better.

So you are going to blast Theophilus because of his conservative leanings? What happened to DIVERSITY?

I CANNOT STAND the fact comic books these days are now being used as progressive political propaganda.

Look at the "M" company. They had to cancel a series of comics based on Black Lives Matter. Reason being...the market did NOT demand it; the free market. That company is losing money had admitted it did so because of going progressive. I do not knwo about DC Comics, though.

And I need not mention about ESPN and how it's losing hundreds of millions of subscribers.

And as for the ratings, though some on here say they don't matter...THEY DO NOT LIE!

Looking at the season averages

RATING--0.72 (-56.90%)
MILLIONS OF VIEWERS--2.356 (-69.34%)

HOWEVER, in defense, this comes from the move from CBS to CW which despite CBS being a 50% owner of the network doesn't have the cache as a CBS. It's the CW's own model, knowing that they might not make it on the level of even a Fox, which has been on the air 30 years. CBS and NBC date back to 1941; ABC to 1948.

Also consider in Chicago, WGN-TV 9 dropped CW sending it to FOX-OWNED WPWR-TV 50.

It's the business.

Kids have less trouble with with those who are gay/lesbian, it's the grownups that has the problem with it

As someone with a young daughter and old friends and relatives....I have to say this is SO true. Kids see it, shrug, and move on. The adults see it, go into a fit, rant and rave, create petitions, organize boycotts, and complain and complain and complain.....

And the kids shrug and move on.

I want to see a story in which the entire population of National City knows that Kara Danvers is Supergirl, but Supergirl doesn't know that everyone knows, and everyone else thinks that's she so sweet that they just roll with it and play along.

I want to see a story in which the entire population of National City knows that Kara Danvers is Supergirl, but Supergirl doesn't know that everyone knows, and everyone else thinks that's she so sweet that they just roll with it and play along.

How can they have that? It's not like it can be a one-off thing that they can take back once they open that can of worms. Either they have that all the time or they don't. And not everyone will think she's so sweet, because there will be villains.

I almost feel like the citizens of National City may be doing that already :cwink:

But anyway, it's true that, once everyone officially knows, you can't really take that back.

There's always the "I am Iron Man" way of handling it.

But Benoist as Kara is so genuinely endearing, I'm not sure we would want to lose that.

Kara should know who these people are from her time on Krypton.
I'm not yet convinced she will on the show, if Reign was a baby when sent off and they were still a top secret experiment. Unless you're referring to the "Worldkillers" myth that they got their namesake from. She's probably familiar with that.

I'm not yet convinced she will on the show, if Reign was a baby when sent off and they were still a top secret experiment. Unless you're referring to the "Worldkillers" myth that they got their namesake from. She's probably familiar with that.

But aren't they one of the guilds.....she should know the symbol.

kara will like go to her mother's holo ram if she doesn't know and there's the fortress of solitude as well .

But aren't they one of the guilds.....she should know the symbol.
In the comics, the Worldkillers aren't their own guild. Not sure what that symbol was supposed to be. They were an experiment and biological weapon created in a secret Kryptonian lab (that was NOT actually on Krypton, I might add), which Zor-El had a hand in. They were eventually deemed too dangerous by the science guild and ordered to be destroyed, orders which Zor-El did not follow through with. And I believe at THAT point, yes, most Kryptonians knew of their existence, and the danger they posed. However, the way they set it up here, it appears that they (or at least Reign) had just been created so I'm not sure Kara ever knew about them.

But I'm sure she is at least very familiar with the Kryptonian myth they're based on.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that you have conflated dissent with fear as well. To be fair, it's a common and pretty much accepted tactic. But it is a tactic (see ad hominem attack), not an honest striving for truth. This is ironic (and amusing) in a Supergirl forum (truth, justice, etc.). :)

So, as long as we're talking morality (since you've implied that I am "bad" for voicing objections to depictions of homosexuality), you might want to consider the merits of defending the portrayal of promiscuous sexual relations between 2 people (of whatever stripe) in a show that appeals largely to children.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

In the comics, the Worldkillers aren't their own guild. Not sure what that symbol was supposed to be. They were an experiment and biological weapon created in a secret Kryptonian lab (that was NOT actually on Krypton, I might add), which Zor-El had a hand in. They were eventually deemed too dangerous by the science guild and ordered to be destroyed, orders which Zor-El did not follow through with. And I believe at THAT point, yes, most Kryptonians knew of their existence, and the danger they posed. However, the way they set it up here, it appears that they (or at least Reign) had just been created so I'm not sure Kara ever knew about them.

But I'm sure she is at least very familiar with the Kryptonian myth they're based on.

The symbol looked like a skull to me, and apparently is going to be important because they showed at least 3x in that last scene. Yeah, I get that Kara won't know who Reign is, but she should know of this secret group.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Wasn't Promiscuous the villain in Season 5 of Arrow? He kept sowing seeds of destruction amongst all of Ollie's friends.

I'm looking forward to getting back to a storyline that delves more into Supergirl's Kryptonian past.

Ultimately, I think that is the core of the character. More than Kal-El, she experienced the loss of Krypton, and then she loses it again, indirectly, when her idealized view of her parents and life on Krypton is called into question.

That's the place to go for a story arc that is more focused on the lead, imho, and less focused on extraneous stuff.

As someone with a young daughter and old friends and relatives....I have to say this is SO true. Kids see it, shrug, and move on. The adults see it, go into a fit, rant and rave, create petitions, organize boycotts, and complain and complain and complain.....

Yeah that's been my experience as well. Kids/teens are fine with it, or at least don't care one way or the other. It's the older people who throw hissy fits about it. And the kids think that "they look silly."

In all kinds of popular entertainment, some fans always try to make the argument that being inclusive of something like a gay romantic relationship will turn off part of the audience.

I don't see any reason to believe that is the case, generally speaking, since for every individual who doesn't want to see lesbians kissing (for example), there is potentially one, or more than one, who is happy to see the show (or the movie or the game, or whatever) be more inclusive.

I do think that season 2, especially the middle of the season, was a very mixed bag in terms of quality, but portraying a lesbian couple is certainly not the root cause of that.

If some viewers don't like seeing that, and want to stop watching the show because of that, then fine. I will not mourn their departure.

Me right there. I have no problem with seeing same-sex couples on TV. There's nothing special about it. What is special is pointing it out when there are far more hetero couples on TV to make someone feel good about their own sexuality, if that's what someone needs. Showing both sides of romance is diversity.

People are certainly free to not like it. But that's the point where you shrug and move along to something else.

...So, as long as we're talking morality (since you've implied that I am "bad" for voicing objections to depictions of homosexuality), you might want to consider the merits of defending the portrayal of promiscuous sexual relations between 2 people (of whatever stripe) in a show that appeals largely to children.

I believe that is the definition of an exclusive relationship... And playing kissy-kissy is hardly having outright sex.

That would be so awesome!!

The symbol looked like a skull to me, and apparently is going to be important because they showed at least 3x in that last scene. Yeah, I get that Kara won't know who Reign is, but she should know of this secret group.
I agree it looked like a skull - definitely not a Kyptonese character like other "family crests." Maybe they're re-imagining the Worldkillers as the product of some rogue science cult or something, and that's their symbol. If they were some sort of notorious cult, then I suppose Kara probably would have been familiar with their existence.

So it's definitely a third baby from Krypton?

I thought (as I didn't know who Reign was) that it was just a bunch of aliens who went back in time and did something to Superman before he was sent to earth so as to infect the planet where he was headed with some kind of virus. I thought we were going to see a dark version of Superman.

But I suppose that's too big a storyline for Supergirl, as it would involve Superman for the whole season, and they're not going to go there. And it might be too much like the Flash.

Yeah it's definitely Reign, leader of the Worldkillers. TVLine confirmed it.

Yep:

Question: The Legion ring was shown in the fortress in Kevin Smith’s Supergirl episode. When will see it used in action? —Jen
Ausiello: When we delivered your Q to Supergirl star Melissa Benoist, she answered, “The Legion Ring, I believe, is on its way — but I don’t know exactly when.”

Question: Is it safe to assume that Cat Grant is back full time for Season 3 of Supergirl? She looked pretty cozy in her old office. —Kellen
Ausiello: It is not safe to assume that. Despite the fact that Flockhart was listed among the series regulars in Supergirl‘s official Season 3 press release, I’m told she will not rejoin the full-time ranks. But if the scheduling can be worked out, you can count on her putting in a handful of guest appearances, as she did in Season 2. BONUS SCOOP: Casting for Season 3 villain Reign is underway and rumor has it the Big Bad will have a major presence in Season 3 (i.e. appearing in possibly a dozen episodes).

http://tvline.com/2017/05/24/will-and-grace-series-finale-revival-estranged-children-spoilers/

THat's exciting. Here's hoping they do it justice.

He was a well-written and acted part that was under-utilized. Which happens with big casts and little time to show everyone.

I don't think it was the big cast. I think it was a fundamental problem- his role was to be the hard nosed veteran reporter, who was an antagonist for Kara in her newbie reporter role. The problem being, every one of his criticisms of her was 100% right, and the writers weren't willing to either write Kara as a better reporter, or allow for Kara to be wrong. So they largely just wrote him out of the show.

I don't think it was the big cast. I think it was a fundamental problem- his role was to be the hard nosed veteran reporter, who was an antagonist for Kara in her newbie reporter role. The problem being, every one of his criticisms of her was 100% right, and the writers weren't willing to either write Kara as a better reporter, or allow for Kara to be wrong. So they largely just wrote him out of the show.

She lost her job because of unprofessional conduct, essentially. While she did get it back, there wasn't any indication that she hadn't erred previously, it was because she had done a better job helping to break another story.

So I think it's more a question of emphasis. The incident felt more like a sub-plot or B-story, too easily resolved.

These two observations are not unrelated, IMO. The kind of adults who rant, rave, start petitions, etc, do so because they are worried that if kids regularly see this stuff? They'll grow up to be adults who view it as normal, or at least unextraordinary and unobjectionable. Thus the effort to keep it off TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"