Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh... Flash had some great moments. But there were more than enough CGI moments that just looked absolutely bad. Supergirl easily keeps up with the Flash. And I thought the flying was one of the highlights of the episode. That whole plane sequence was just amazing.

I don't know... maybe you're right. Flash may have had some bad CGI but it ended on a such a high note that I may have forgotten.
Maybe I'm just comparing Supergirl's flight with Man of Steel which isn't fair at all, but after seeing Kal-El fly, I can't help but feel let down by Kara.
Still hoping that the effects aren't finalized yet and that it will be much more natural in the premiere.

I don't know... maybe you're right. Flash may have had some bad CGI but it ended on a such a high note that I may have forgotten.
Maybe I'm just comparing Supergirl's flight with Man of Steel which isn't fair at all, but after seeing Kal-El fly, I can't help but feel let down by Kara.
Still hoping that the effects aren't finalized yet and that it will be much more natural in the premiere.
Yeah, I don't think it's fair to compare those two. It's like comparing the speed effects of TheCW's Flash vs both cinematic Quicksilvers.

Also, I really love the VFX on The Flash for TV. Sure, there are some shoddy stuff here and there but Grodd looked nice even though dark scenes helped. The black hole and buildings during the finale's climax look really neat.

I love the look of The Flash, and Supergirl. Loved the plane scene, epic looking in my opinion.

I sorta felt that the real close-up shots of her inflight looked worse than the ones from farther away. All of it was still good but the better ones were really, really good.

They are now back in production so hopefully we will be getting some new tidbits here and there coming soon.

They are now back in production so hopefully we will be getting some new tidbits here and there coming soon.
Nice heads-up. :up:

Here's the new synopsis according to Supergirl.tv:
An action adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex (Leigh), and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant (Flockhart), who just hired the Daily Planet’s former photographer, James Olsen (Brooks), as her new art director. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw (Harewood), head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime.

And [BLACKOUT]Helen and Dean[/BLACKOUT] are back in episode 2!

http://www.supergirl.tv/supergirl-production-resumes

Wow, I thought the CGI was horrendous. I'm really hoping they'll fix it for the premiere.
The way Kara flies.. it feels awkward, slow and clunky.
I feel exactly the opposite way, Avenging Angel. To me Flash has probably one of the best CGi on TV, I've seen recently and if Supergirl managed to get to that level and develop some characters, I'll be happy.

I think it's more of a budget issue with Flash. They couldn't get Grant himself to slow motion super sonic punch they had to get a cartoon? Just funny to me. Supergirl looks clean in the CGI department.

People were complaining about the First Look trailer feeling too much like a rom-com because of the way it was cut together and because of the inclusion of a pop song (Rachel Platten's "Fight Song"), but if you actually listen to the song's lyrics, they so perfectly correlate with the overall conceptual approach to the series that it could've conceivably been written specifically for the show.

Berlanti and Co.'s take on Kara, in a nutshell, is that she's not really living until she saves that plane, puts on that suit, and becomes a superhero, and the lyrics to "Fight Song" perfectly encapsulate that idea, to the point that I almost wish they'd deviate from their established pattern, give Supergirl a full credits sequence, and ask CBS to license the rights to use "Fight Song" as the theme music.

Oh no....I want them to use this theme song....

just kidding.... ;)

SUPERGIRL: DC'S GEOFF JOHNS ON THOSE SNL / BLACK WIDOW COMPARISONS
“When they first saw his suit, when we cast [Flash actor] Grant [Gustin], people were like, ‘That’s not the Flash!’ and now people are like, ‘Oh my god, he is the Flash!’ I’m so proud of that show and -- in so many ways the Flash was my favorite character growing up -- to see it realized and to see people embracing it. And it truly is a Flash TV show, we’re not shying away from anything. We jokingly said, yeah we’re doing Gorilla Grodd and I think people were like, ‘Okay...’ Yeah, no, we’re doing Gorilla Grodd! And we’ve got a lot of great plans for Supergirl in the same vein as that.”
“I’m just really excited that we have a female superhero that’s so iconic and strong. We’re so overdue for a female-centric superhero show that’s really good. We’re going to try to execute to the best of our ability and we’ve got great people we’re working with and I’m really excited about it. It’s really important; it’s an important show for us,”
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/05/supergirl-dcs-geoff-johns-on-those-snl-black-widow-comparisons

That's already the theme song to MY life, so Kara can't have it!

Oh sweetheart I had that theme song long before you were even a twinkle in your mama's eye. :grrr:

just kidding.... ;)

I have heard that song before but didn't know it came from an old TV show, a gloriously cheesy looking show at that! :D

I have heard that song before but didn't know it came from an old TV show, a gloriously cheesy looking show at that! :D

OMG, it was fantastic. I never missed an episode.

http://detective-comics.tumblr.com/post/120821478865

tumblr_noytwu98D21u96vjco1_250.gif
tumblr_noytwu98D21u96vjco2_250.gif

Oh sweetheart I had that theme song long before you were even a twinkle in your mama's eye. :grrr:
Fine, you walk on air all you want, I'll take the sunshine.

:oldrazz:

just kidding.... ;)

Argh...a hugely underrated series, IMO. Didn't get into it until much later in life, but it now ranks among my top 5 superhero series.

But it's funny you mentioned that. Someone on the main page said this of Supergirl: "Greatest American Hero meets The Devil Wears Prada." I kid you not. But really, there are no major correlations between the two superhero series aside from these:

- Both series feature a blonde-haired protagonist.
- Both possess superhuman powers.
- Both had a little trouble with flying at first.
- Both characters' first flights took place in an alley.

That's where the similarities end. Kara mastered her flight power almost immediately. But for Ralph (the protagonist of the older series), his aeronautical misadventures were among the more lighthearted moments of the first season and a half. The biggest difference? Kara's powers are part of her Kryptonian physiology. Ralph only had powers when he wore the suit.

Wow, I thought the CGI was horrendous. I'm really hoping they'll fix it for the premiere.
The way Kara flies.. it feels awkward, slow and clunky.
I feel exactly the opposite way, Avenging Angel. To me Flash has probably one of the best CGi on TV, I've seen recently and if Supergirl managed to get to that level and develop some characters, I'll be happy.

I love Flash, and it was my favorite superhero show under Daredevil...but no. Not even close. Flash's CGI was very obvious and quite bad at times, but given their budget I forgave them. SG's was much, much, much better. It's not even a contest. The CGI Flash was very poor at times. The first super punch being a notable one.

Really though, Flash has nowhere near the beat CGI on Tv. That would easily go to Game of Thrones. Flash isn't even the best CGI on network tv.

Fine, you walk on air all you want, I'll take the sunshine.

:oldrazz:

LOL, I'll share....

And I'm so glad you didn't use the Jump 5/Disney version. Those kids were cute and talented as they could be, but they just don't have what the original had.

Last edited:
Argh...a hugely underrated series, IMO. Didn't get into it until much later in life, but it now ranks among my top 5 superhero series.

But it's funny you mentioned that. Someone on the main page said this of Supergirl: "Greatest American Hero meets The Devil Wears Prada." I kid you not. But really, there are no major correlations between the two superhero series aside from these:

- Both series feature a blonde-haired protagonist.
- Both possess superhuman powers.
- Both had a little trouble with flying at first.
- Both characters' first flights took place in an alley.

That's where the similarities end. Kara mastered her flight power almost immediately. But for Ralph (the protagonist of the older series), his aeronautical misadventures were among the more lighthearted moments of the first season and a half. The biggest difference? Kara's powers are part of her Kryptonian physiology. Ralph only had powers when he wore the suit.

Oh...no, no, no...don't get me wrong. I wasn't comparing the two series even in the least.

We were talking about theme music. and I just found that one, being it was one of my fav shows in the 80s.

The 2 superheros are TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY different. Kara would wipe the floor with poor Ralph.

As far as the comparison to "Devil Wears Prada"...that was simply a slam to the teaser. The only comparison I saw was when Cat walks into her office. She had the same stride, authority, and *****iness to her. I loved it. hahahaha...

I'm also loving the small confrontations between Cat and Kara. Just knowing that Kara could shut her down in mere seconds is kind of fun, and to watch her NOT do that is an interesting dynamic.

LOL, I'll share....

And I'm so glad you didn't use the Jump 5/Disney version. Those kids were cute and talented as they could be, but they just don't have what the original had.
I'll take pride in the fact that I have no earthly idea what version you're talking about, lol.

Just having the logo and series interlude isn't enough. Smallville's theme song was the best one. I think if they find a really killer track they could pull it off with this one.

Just having the logo and series interlude isn't enough. Smallville's theme song was the best one. I think if they find a really killer track they could pull it off with this one.

It sure was, they couldn't have gotten a better fit than they did for Smallville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"