Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mate of mine at work said he thinks this show is awful, used the words too cheesy and girly. I just said that I love the show. This shows definitely like marmite.

There is still a good amount of shows doing worse at the moment.
The problem is the drop week to week. The first drop is to be expected, though you would hope it wouldn't drop that much. Bit another .5 between the 2nd and 3rd week? That is pretty bad. If it drops about .2 or more next week, might be time to start worrying quite a bit.

That is not the demographic that the advertisers look at....they look at the 18--49 demographic and it is out performing the other shows in its genre in that age group. Sorry, but the 18-34 just don't spend the money like the 18-49. :cwink:
The Flash is on the CW, Supergirl is on CBS. That Supergirl is only .2 higher on the ratings is actually pretty bad.

Are we just living in a time where ratings are allowed to be lower than they once were? There is so much programming now not everything can get massive ratings.

A mate of mine at work said he thinks this show is awful, used the words too cheesy and girly. I just said that I love the show. This shows definitely like marmite.

My friend saw it the firsttime yesterday and said it was cheesy. But i still enjoy it.

I wouldn't call it girly, and am I honestly quite sure if I know what that means. But the show doesn't seem to have that "classy" edge to it. It has some good energy, but it also doesn't have what feels like a well thought out direction. It is fluffy, very lightweight, not well crafted. It reminds me a bit of early Arrow in that regard, so I am hoping it can improve like that show did. It is nothing like the Flash, that hit me right out of the gate.

Are we just living in a time where ratings are allowed to be lower than they once were? There is so much programming now not everything can get massive ratings.

Yes, ratings are down in general. DVRs, OnDemand, DVD, Blu Ray, digital sales, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, syndication, etc mean people have a ton of different ways to watch their shows and a ton of different shows to choose from.

Almost all scripted shows on network television are down versus last year. including Gotham, SHIELD, iZombie, Arrow, and even Flash (Flash and Arrow are only down very slightly).

But Supergirl still needs to level off soon, or it's in serious trouble. The other shows have settled into a 1.3-1.7 range (except Arrow and iZombie), but CBS has higher standards than ABC, Fox, or CW. If Supergirl settles anywhere above a 1.5, it's probably safe. Anywhere below 1.3, it's a goner. Anywhere in between is a true toss up.

Pretty much, though the channel matters. A .7 is great for a CW show, it would instantly cancel a CBS show. They still can't be that low however. If Supergirl drops to say a 1.2 in the live ratings, it is done.

I wouldn't call it girly, and am I honestly quite sure if I know what that means. But the show doesn't seem to have that "classy" edge to it. It has some good energy, but it also doesn't have what feels like a well thought out direction. It is fluffy, very lightweight, not well crafted. It reminds me a bit of early Arrow in that regard, so I am hoping it can improve like that show did. It is nothing like the Flash, that hit me right out of the gate.

I don't think he meant it in a sexist way, I think he meant that it was female orientated program and I actually agree with that but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment. If anything I'm glad for it, Supergirl is easily my favourite female superhero.

It is light and fluffy but I love that about it, not every show has to be the same. Arrow in season one was gritty and dark which is fine.

I think a thing to remember is it always take a show a little while to find its footing, I am currently rewatching season one of the Flash and barring the Harrison Well's tidbits at the end of the episodes it's very similar in a way to Supergirl in that a villain is revealed, he fights him or her at the end. This is how they all start, Smallville did the same. It's about picking it up enough toward mid season then flying out the gate in the second half.

Yes, ratings are down in general. DVRs, OnDemand, DVD, Blu Ray, digital sales, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, syndication, etc mean people have a ton of different ways to watch their shows and a ton of different shows to choose from.

Almost all scripted shows on network television are down versus last year. including Gotham, SHIELD, iZombie, Arrow, and even Flash (Flash and Arrow are only down very slightly).

But Supergirl still needs to level off soon, or it's in serious trouble. The other shows have settled into a 1.3-1.7 range (except Arrow and iZombie), but CBS has higher standards than ABC, Fox, or CW. If Supergirl settles anywhere above a 1.5, it's probably safe. Anywhere below 1.3, it's a goner. Anywhere in between is a true toss up.

Exactly and yes it does, I'm sure it will eventually.

Pretty much, though the channel matters. A .7 is great for a CW show, it would instantly cancel a CBS show. They still can't be that low however. If Supergirl drops to say a 1.2 in the live ratings, it is done.

That may not be the case anymore though for all we know. We don't know what the networks expectations for the show are as I and famicommander said ratings are down everywhere. It's to be expected it happens to everything, sports attendances, music/film purchases, cinemas etc.

Supergirl had the largest percentage drop from episode 1 to 3 of any drama this season.

That's why we should be worried. It's falling like a rock. If it's below 1.5 on Monday, it's really time to panic.

Supergirl had the largest percentage drop from episode 1 to 3 of any drama this season.

That's why we should be worried. It's falling like a rock. If it's below 1.5 on Monday, it's really time to panic.

If it keeps falling it's a big worry but hopefully it steadies. I'll be honest been on CBS did worry me and I'm from the UK. It would be such a shame if it only got one season or worse yet half a season. How many episodes have been ordered?

I don't think he meant it in a sexist way, I think he meant that it was female orientated program and I actually agree with that but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment. If anything I'm glad for it, Supergirl is easily my favourite female superhero.

It is light and fluffy but I love that about it, not every show has to be the same. Arrow in season one was gritty and dark which is fine.

I think a thing to remember is it always take a show a little while to find its footing, I am currently rewatching season one of the Flash and barring the Harrison Well's tidbits at the end of the episodes it's very similar in a way to Supergirl in that a villain is revealed, he fights him or her at the end. This is how they all start, Smallville did the same. It's about picking it up enough toward mid season then flying out the gate in the second half.
Ah, that is fair. I grew up a Momma's boy, who spent a lot of time watching the Lifetime network, so it is all television to me. But I get your friend's point. :yay:

When I say it is light and fluffy, I don't mean the general feel of the show, I am talking about it being kind of disposable. I am having a hard time putting this into words. See The Flash is fluffy and light a lot of the time as well. But it grabbed me because it had characters and a clear direction in the story, and from the word go it had some real meaning to imo. They set up this big mythos, and for the most part kept delivering on that for me. This is the story of a larger then life hero. A good way of looking at it to me would be to explain it is how they show each origin. Both are tragic stories, but while The Flash has some real filmmaking flair to it, Supergirl gets a very standard montage.

And Smallville is a bad example for me because that show was lacking from the start, and never ended up being good television imo. I was a dedicated Superman fan and watched it through 5 seasons, but at some point my Chloe love couldn't keep me going. Older now, I don't have that same kind of time. I got through two and half episodes of SHIELD, and just couldn't. I think I will stick with Supergirl for at least a few more weeks, but if it is more of the same, I am probably going to jump off.

That may not be the case anymore though for all we know. We don't know what the networks expectations for the show are as I and famicommander said ratings are down everywhere. It's to be expected it happens to everything, sports attendances, music/film purchases, cinemas etc.
No, it is still the case. You can't be pulling in 1.2s with Supergirl's budget on CBS. CBS isn't even making all the money off this show. Remember, this isn't in-house. That makes it actually hard to keep on air.

Ah, that is fair. I grew up a Momma's boy, who spent a lot of time watching the Lifetime network, so it is all television to me. But I get your friend's point. :yay:

When I say it is light and fluffy, I don't mean the general feel of the show, I am talking about it being kind of disposable. I am having a hard time putting this into words. See The Flash is fluffy and light a lot of the time as well. But it grabbed me because it had characters and a clear direction in the story, and from the word go it had some real meaning to imo. They set up this big mythos, and for the most part kept delivering on that for me. This is the story of a larger then life hero. A good way of looking at it to me would be to explain it is how they show each origin. Both are tragic stories, but while The Flash has some real filmmaking flair to it, Supergirl gets a very standard montage.

And Smallville is a bad example for me because that show was lacking from the start, and never ended up being good television imo. I was a dedicated Superman fan and watched it through 5 seasons, but at some point my Chloe love couldn't keep me going. Older now, I don't have that same kind of time. I got through two and half episodes of SHIELD, and just couldn't. I think I will stick with Supergirl for at least a few more weeks, but if it is more of the same, I am probably going to jump off.

I understand what you mean.

No, it is still the case. You can't be pulling in 1.2s with Supergirl's budget on CBS. CBS isn't even making all the money off this show. Remember, this isn't in-house. That makes it actually hard to keep on air.

What do you reckon it needs to get to sustain?

Like I already said:
if it stabilizes above 1.70, it's definitely safe
if it stabilizes above 1.50, it's probably safe
if it stabilizes between 1.30 and 1.49, it's a toss up
if it stabilizes under a 1.29, it's probably gone
if it stabilizes under a 1.20, it's definitely gone

Let's be clear this isn't NBC or Fox, CBS knows that this property has potential and because it's Superman related so much like how Elementary is Sherlock Holmes brand. CBS is going to keep this show on

Elementary is still on TV because it has a massive syndication deal, and it's owned by CBS. CBS gets the money from syndication, OnDemand, streaming, digital sales, DVD/Blu Ray, etc.

CBS does NOT own Supergirl. They get paid based on television advertising, and the ratings are what drives that. Supergirl will not get any special treatment on CBS. Either the ratings will be good enough and it'll get renewed or they won't and it will get cancelled.

Like I already said:
if it stabilizes above 1.70, it's definitely safe
if it stabilizes above 1.50, it's probably safe
if it stabilizes between 1.30 and 1.49, it's a toss up
if it stabilizes under a 1.29, it's probably gone
if it stabilizes under a 1.20, it's definitely gone
I agree with this.

Elementary is still on TV because it has a massive syndication deal, and it's owned by CBS. CBS gets the money from syndication, OnDemand, streaming, digital sales, DVD/Blu Ray, etc.

CBS does NOT own Supergirl. They get paid based on television advertising, and the ratings are what drives that. Supergirl will not get any special treatment on CBS. Either the ratings will be good enough and it'll get renewed or they won't and it will get cancelled.
Yep, it isn't in-house. Longmire was by far the highest rated scripted show on A&E and it got cancelled because of the demo numbers and because it was not an in-house show. So they didn't make anything off those other revenue streams.

Last edited:
Fami's analysis is absolutely correct.

I am loathe to do this but I'm going to predict next episode to a 1.4 either way.

I understand the whole showing girl heroes in a positive light. But, she fights a villain who Superman was never able to defeat and she is angry that he came to her rescue when she was nearly killed. Yes, she wants to prove herself. But, the show constantly throws girls are equals and don't need help in our face. Even when not needed.

I understand the whole showing girl heroes in a positive light. But, she fights a villain who Superman was never able to defeat and she is angry that he came to her rescue when she was nearly killed. Yes, she wants to prove herself. But, the show constantly throws girls are equals and don't need help in our face. Even when not needed.

I think it went much deeper than simply a "prove herself" kind of thing. Taking it down to simply a female superhero vs. male superhero is a pretty shallow way of looking at it actually. BUT, it is the way some will look at sadly, and that is something that this show will have to combat on a constant basis.

They didn't do a stellar job of executing it. She got angry at Superman and James because they saved her life. Reactron would have murdered her if Superman hadn't shown up. Her frustration should've been directed at herself and her inexperience, not at the people responsible for her continuing to draw breath. I understand what they were trying to do, and I like it, but the execution was sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"