Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not worried about ageism, at least, not with this show, they've not shied away from casting women who are older than their respective parts.

Very true.... :)

I'm not worried about ageism, at least, not with this show, they've not shied away from casting women who are older than their respective parts. I see no reason to worry about the casting of someone like Lois until the time comes for the role to be cast.

I'm not either. That's why the suggestion that age doesn't matter when it comes to casting seemed out of touch. It does matter. It absolutely matters.

It matters in that yes, more parts, should be written, for and about certain groups within our society, the mature of our society being one of them.

I think what was being presented earlier was simply that actors play people older and younger than their actual age, and do it quite well. Your argument about Tyler had nothing to do with ageism, it had everything to do with whether or not Tyler could pull the part of, and will it (his younger age) make a difference in the portrayal. Then we state that his age really shouldn't have anything to do with his portrayal, because someone's age doesn't necessarily mean that the character will be wrongly played. Then all of the sudden we are in a debate over ageism????? You turn the smallest discussions on something into huge global debates, and no one was going there. It's like if the discussion isn't going the way you think it should, you blow it up. There is no need for that...not every discussion has to turn into an outcry for the oppressed. It becomes very tiring and overbearing after awhile.

Everyone around here is just excited to have a 2nd season of one of our fav Superhero shows, and excited to see Supergirl and Superman on the small screen, totally decked out in all of their glory. We aren't debating global unrest here, we are just discussing and having fun getting excited for October 10th.

Last edited:
This is probably the show that comes back on again the latest out of all returning shows (not just including CW shows). October 10 is pretty late while everything else is back either next week or the first week of October.

BTW, do we think that Supergirl will now get more episodes per season now that it's on the CW? Season 1 had maybe just one or two episodes too few. I believe it was only 20 compared to others like the Flash or Arrow which have about 22 or 24. That meant that Supergirl season 1 felt a little rushed.

This is probably the show that comes back on again the latest out of all returning shows (not just including CW shows). October 10 is pretty late while everything else is back either next week or the first week of October.

BTW, do we think that Supergirl will now get more episodes per season now that it's on the CW? Season 1 had maybe just one or two episodes too few. I believe it was only 20 compared to others like the Flash or Arrow which have about 22 or 24. That meant that Supergirl season 1 felt a little rushed.

Where have you been.....LOL, they announced 22 episodes back during the Upfronts....in May. Legends of Tomorrow starts the same week as Supergirl, and the other Monday night shows don't start until the Monday after Supergirl as far as the CW.

Arrowverse this year:
Flash: 23 episodes, premieres October 4
Arrow: 23 episodes, premieres October 5
Supergirl: 22 episodes, premieres October 10
Legends of Tomorrow: 13 episode initial order with option for more, premieres October 13
Vixen: 6 episodes, premieres October 14

CW has started off their year with the Flash the last few seasons because it's their biggest show.

It matters in that yes, more parts, should be written, for and about certain groups within our society, the mature of our society being one of them.

So, then, you agree that the blanket statement that age doesn't matter isn't actually true?

I think what was being presented earlier was simply that actors play people older and younger than their actual age, and do it quite well. Your argument about Tyler had nothing to do with ageism, it had everything to do with whether or not Tyler could pull the part of, and will it (his younger age) make a difference in the portrayal. Then we state that his age really shouldn't have anything to do with his portrayal, because someone's age doesn't necessarily mean that the character will be wrongly played. Then all of the sudden we are in a debate over ageism????? You turn the smallest discussions on something into huge global debates, and no one was going there. It's like if the discussion isn't going the way you think it should, you blow it up. There is no need for that...not every discussion has to turn into an outcry for the oppressed. It becomes very tiring and overbearing after awhile.

My comments about ageism had nothing to do with Tyler Hoechlin. I made that very clear when I strictly applied my comments about ageism to the casting of younger actresses to play characters who are older women. This is the original post to which you responded:

Based on the show's own storytelling, a character like Lois has to at least be in her 40s. I think it's okay to get "hung up" on the ages of the performers if it is a detail that hurts the story and casts a shadow on the show's stated social justice themes. Casting a woman in her late twenties or early thirties actively undermines the story the show is telling. Plus, when there's so much made of the fact that Hollywood doesn't cast older women, casting younger is even more problematic. That doesn't mean there isn't wiggle room when it comes to age and casting. There are definitely actors who have the looks, talent, or both to play a wide range of ages. Still, if the character you are casting for is a 40+ year-old woman, and your choice is a woman between the ages of 25-35, then I do think some criticism is warranted.

So far, I think the show has done a pretty good job with casting. I'm a little concerned about Hoechlin's ability to play someone a decade older than himself, but I'm more worried about the script giving him and the cast around him something to work with in that regard. I'm disappointed with casting M'gann as older because I think she would have been a great peer for Kara. Miss Martian just works better for me as a younger character and sort of surrogate daughter for J'onn. I'm not sure how I feel about her being aged up to serve as a potential love interest.

Notice how I limited my discussion of ageism to Lois and my criticism of Hoechlin to his acting ability. I also went on to talk more about the importance of the script and supporting cast for Tyler specifically. I didn't even say that I know he will not be up to the task. I said that I wasn't yet convinced that Hoechlin will have everything he'll need to pull off his seasoned Superman. I'm saying "I don't know" (not I know he'll be bad) while you're saying you're fairly certain he'll be perfect. So I'm not even being negative. Furthermore, my statement that performance will be what matters is one you agreed with in your subsequent post. You agreed that only performance matters.

What I didn't agree with is that performance matters in all cases. Sometimes age does matter. In other words, I made the comments about ageism because a blanket statement was made that age doesn't matter. What's tiring to me is when simple statements become big debates because there seems to be no room for nuance here. I am not the one blowing up conversations. If you agree that age does matter in some cases, then all you had to do was agree and move on. That's not what happened. My clarifying comments about ageism were dismissed with a blatant derailment comment (i.e. questioning whether I am able to ever just enjoy something).

Everyone around here is just excited to have a 2nd season of one of our fav Superhero shows, and excited to see Supergirl and Superman on the small screen, totally decked out in all of their glory. We aren't debating global unrest here, we are just discussing and having fun getting excited for October 10th.

I appreciate that you are excited about the next season. So am I. What is not exciting is to come to a forum to engage in a discussion about the show to see that it seems that only positive and optimistic comments will be tolerated. What you are doing here is tantamount to tone policing, and it's just flat out bad form. A discussion forum is not a place where you get to curate what sort of opinions to which you expose yourself. Some people will disagree with you and even have strong opinions. Some of those opinions will be negative and pessimistic. The more you fight disparate opinions, the more those opinions will blow up. You don't have to agree with someone who isn't as excited as you. No one is suggesting that, but what you cannot do is shut down every conversation that moves out of the excitement zone. That is not okay.

Last edited:
My comments were about how you suddenly changed the subject not that you were specifically talking about our discussion....that doesn't change anything of how I see your pattern of discussion...you are extremely combative...and there is just no need to be...at all.

That is the bottom line. Once again the discussion has turned to nothing to do with Supergirl, so this discussion is also ending here.

As far as M'gann goes, I don't really know that much about her either.
But, I am looking forward to meeting her. ( so to speak)

So, then, you agree that the blanket statement that age doesn't matter isn't actually true?

What I didn't agree with is that performance matters in all cases. Sometimes age does matter. In other words, I made the comments about ageism because a blanket statement was made that age doesn't matter. What's tiring to me is when simple statements become big debates because there seems to be no room for nuance here. I am not the one blowing up conversations. If you agree that age does matter in some cases, then all you had to do was agree and move on. That's not what happened. My clarifying comments about ageism were dismissed with a blatant derailment comment (i.e. questioning whether I am able to ever just enjoy something).

Here was what I said:

I never get hung up on ages of characters in TV shows or films, it's about the performance and the story for me. I don't sit there thinking he's twenty six, or she's 18 etc.

How can my statement which is my own opinion not be true when it's how I feel. Are you trying to say I'm lying to myself. Also I see don't see how it's a BLANKET statement when I clearly said that I never get hung up on ages of characters.

You really need to accept that people have differing views to your own.

I appreciate that you are excited about the next season. So am I. What is not exciting is to come to a forum to engage in a discussion about the show to see that it seems that only positive and optimistic comments will be tolerated. What you are doing here is tantamount to tone policing, and it's just flat out bad form. A discussion forum is not a place where you get to curate what sort of opinions to which you expose yourself. Some people will disagree with you and even have strong opinions. Some of those opinions will be negative and pessimistic. The more you fight disparate opinions, the more those opinions will blow up. You don't have to agree with someone who isn't as excited as you. No one is suggesting that, but what you cannot do is shut down every conversation that moves out of the excitement zone. That is not okay.

I think there's an appropriate comment for posters like you "people in glass houses should not throw stones".

The first footage is here, just trying to find a link.

Looks awesome.

Legend I found it on facebook but couldn't find it on YouTube

Tell you what I lived about that to spot, it revealed absolutely nothing. Which is best I don't wanna be spoiled.

Something about seeing Supergirl and Superman together is so exciting.

Nah it's this waste of a month called Septober or septimber or some crap like that.

:funny:

My wife's dude to have our baby on Oct 14ty I bet you anything he comes early and I have to wait to watch the episode :woot:

wDTUC78.jpg

BOelbxO.jpg

cEzjckz.jpg

DBxCfp0.jpg

Last edited:
Dreamt of this moment? Didn't she chew Jimmy out for calling Superman to help her before? Though granted, that was a. third episode, b. unexpected, and c. done without her knowing he'd come.

Dreamt of this moment? Didn't she chew Jimmy out for calling Superman to help her before? Though granted, that was a. third episode, b. unexpected, and c. done without her knowing he'd come.

Maybe it actually is a dream. So it doesn't count. :o

Not quite, she chewed Jimmy out for calling Superman to save her. This is her standing side by side with Superman as an equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"