Supergirl Movie

It's a shame that they're not gonna be casting Melissa Benoist in the movie because to me she is a well respected Supergirl and almost everyone loves her but at the same time I'm intrigued to see the next lucky actress who's going to play the role of Kara Zor-El.

I'm hoping it's very different from the TV show.
This just might be the upcoming DC movie that I'm most interested in so I'll be really interested to see who they cast.

I agree Melissa Benoist makes a great Supergirl and I think she shines in the crossovers Invasion! and Crisis on Earth-X, although I'm not a fan of the SG show itself.

They should not touch Supergirl until they get Superman right

Supergirl will come across the same so called problems as Superman

No it won't. The problem with Superman in the last few years is that he's too dark, grim and dour and trying to be like Batman when that doesn't suit his character at all. If they don't go that route with Supergirl whatsoever, they're not going to run into those same problems.

Melissa Benoist could likely play a different kind of Supergirl TBH. She's a talented actress. That being said they're not going to cast her in the film.

I'm curious to see who the villain(s) might be in the film?

Melissa Benoist could likely play a different kind of Supergirl TBH. She's a talented actress. That being said they're not going to cast her in the film.

I'm curious to see who the villain(s) might be in the film?
Of all the CW leads Benoist is actually the one I could see best holding her own on the big screen opposite the likes of Affleck, Momoa, etc. But as you say, they won't cast her.

No it won't. The problem with Superman in the last few years is that he's too dark, grim and dour and trying to be like Batman when that doesn't suit his character at all. If they don't go that route with Supergirl whatsoever, they're not going to run into those same problems.

That did not stop them with Titans lol & Im talking more how they say hes over powered etc so they keep re using Lex & Zod etc. Are they gonna give Supergirl the special treatment in that regard & actually try doing her right or will they nerf her as well ? The WB already ruined Supergirl once on the Big Screen & they have not been able to do Superman right in decades. They are idiots

Last edited by a moderator:
They are making a huge mistake assuming she can just replace Superman. Her life is completely different, part of her character is her struggle to fit in having not grown up on Earth.

And it's also a coming-of-age thing, which Supes isn't really, outside of a few origin beats. Kara has to go through that thing we all do growing up, where we realize our world isn't what we used to think it was, our parents weren't the people we used to see them as, etc...just a on a grander scale. Unlike Clark, Krypton represents for Kara the innocence of her childhood, which she's forced to let go of a bit more quickly than the rest of us, and her gradually embracing Earth is what we do when we leave home and have to come to terms with the harsher realities of life and form our own worldview. Supergirl's a totally different beast from Superman, and embracing her differences should be the key to her success, imo. Don't just try and make Superman but female.

Last edited:
If it were up to me, this would be sold as the next Mean Girls, a modern ‘fish out of water’ high school story, dealing with social media, figuring out one’s image/identity, etc

So I wouldn’t have it feel like a Superman / classic superhero story at all, unlike the TV show.

If it were up to me, this would be sold as the next Mean Girls, a modern ‘fish out of water’ high school story.

So I wouldn’t have it feel like a Superman / classic superhero story at all, unlike the TV show.
The 1984 Helen Slater SG movie touched on that a little IIRC.

The 1984 Helen Slater SG movie touched on that a little IIRC.
It did a little. But the problem was the other stuff- the witch, the love potion etc.!

I saw Helen Slater in an interview saying that after 'Supergirl' she made 'The Legend of Billie Jean', that better explored the life of a teenage girl and how she wished that Supergirl did more of that.

Slater was a good Supergirl in a terrible movie.

I don't understand the "Replacing Superman with Supergirl" narrative. At all.

It's not like audiences aren't suddenly clamoring for something "Super" that isn't "Superman", and Shazam fits the bill already.

Based on the trailer, Shazam does not remotely fit the bill, lol.

Hell, Marvel's Captain Marvel will seem like more of a Superman stand-in than Shazam.

Meh. I have no interest in this, but we'll see. Who knows, I may change my mind.

If Cavill is out then I just hope Superman is an important part of the Supergirl movie. I don't see how she can suddenly be here before Kal, or make some reference to him but not see him as the 1984 movie did and the TV series initially did. It just feels awkward if Kara is on Earth and they don't meet/interact. I don't think they will change it where she arrives on Earth before he does, or have her arrive while Kal is still a baby growing up in Smallville (will they?!) That would make her a hero before Superman...

Last edited:
Reed Morano, who was rumoured to be on the top of WB's shortlist for director of Supergirl, says she hasn't been approached by WB, but would be open to the idea.

She also joked with Elle Fanning after they read fancasting of Elle playing Supergirl. (They have just worked together on the movie 'I Think We're Alone Now.')

Peter Dinklage, Elle Fanning Think Reed Morano Should Direct WB's 'Supergirl'

She wouldn't be a top pick for me, but she'd be fine.

Playlist rumour that film could be set in the '70s?

A source today, right after today’s news broke, echoed the same sentiment that Warner Bros. would shift focus to “Supergirl“ and that movie—likely a period piece set in the 1970s (though this could change) with the young Kryptonian as a teenager—would knock Cavill out of the running for appearing in that particular time period (he’d still be a child then). So, the actor could stick around, but if Supergirl were to go first and with no “Man of Steel 2” film in development, it’s very conceivable that Cavill could not turn up as Superman again for several, several years hence everyone kind of walking away for now, but keeping the door open.

WB Says "No Decisions Have Been Made" Regarding Henry Cavill's Future As Superman

If true, someone has gotten carried away with the idea of DC period pieces.

If true, someone has gotten carried away with the idea of DC period pieces.

Well, it's one way to avoid the current continuity as well as take advantage of the nostalgia/retro craze!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"