Supergirl Movie

I wonder if they plan on going for a high school setting. Lotta potential there, especially if they play up the fish out of water angle.

I could see them reworking the classic Brainiac stories (specifically what became Superman Unbound) to put Supergirl at the center.

Very good choice. My other thought would be loosely adapting parts of The Supergirl from Krypton if they want to give Superman (presumably played by a new actor) a supporting role.

I could see them reworking the classic Brainiac stories (specifically what became Superman Unbound) to put Supergirl at the center.

I like the ties in Geoff Johns' Brainiac comic, and in Superman Unbound, where Brainiac takes Kandor with Supergirl's parents in it. It ties Superman and Supergirl together in the plot while giving them both importance. If they want to keep the focus on Supergirl they can still do that, keeping it mostly to her point of view, having Superman being captured by Brainiac, and Superman needing Kara's help and Supergirl saving the day.

So it's either both Superman and Supergirl working together in this movie to defeat Brainiac

or

This is a period piece set in the 70s with Superman not involved at all (and not yet on Earth, or still young). I wouldn't prefer this but if it is the case I wonder if they would go with the idea suggested in the Man of Steel prequel comic where Supergirl arrived in the past and was maybe frozen/hidden for a long time. Just so she can move up to present day a la Captain America.

dld9rpx0uogtgtxprjce

Reactions: MbJ
I wonder if they plan on going for a high school setting. Lotta potential there, especially if they play up the fish out of water angle.

Very good choice. My other thought would be loosely adapting parts of The Supergirl from Krypton if they want to give Superman (presumably played by a new actor) a supporting role.

It will probably be high school. Which is a good way to also separate it from the TV show. Brainiac following her from Krypton to Earth while she is just trying to cope with life in high school as well as her superpowers could be interesting.

I can see WB not wanting to include Superman in this scenario, so that it can be something Supergirl has to deal with on her own. But partly adapting the "Supergirl from Krypton" comics story could have it that Superman sends her off to live with the Danvers (or Kents), trying to give her a normal life, which is shattered by Braniac searching for her and capturing her (instead of Darkseid in the comics.) They could have her entering the bottle city of Kandor and finding her parents.

Supergirl should be really young IMO. For a few reasons. WB already has two franchises centered around adult women (BOP and WW). Marvel also has two franchises centered around adult women (Captain Marvel and Black Widow). The Supergirl tv series focuses again on an adult woman.

Casting a child actress as Supergirl is a great opportunity to snag that elusive demographic that powers so many of those Disney movies to 1B+ grosses. It’s a no brainer. Plus it was always weird for a grown ass woman to go by the name SuperGIRL.

Also, if Brainiac isn’t the villain, we riot. It’s gotta be him.
Yep :up:
It also creates more differences between her and Supes.
If they’re going to use this to reboot Superman and have both characters running at the same time in different movies, I’d like for them to be different in a lot of ways.

I don’t want either of them to seem unnecessary.

Supergirl should be really young IMO. For a few reasons. WB already has two franchises centered around adult women (BOP and WW). Marvel also has two franchises centered around adult women (Captain Marvel and Black Widow). The Supergirl tv series focuses again on an adult woman.

Casting a child actress as Supergirl is a great opportunity to snag that elusive demographic that powers so many of those Disney movies to 1B+ grosses. It’s a no brainer. Plus it was always weird for a grown ass woman to go by the name SuperGIRL.

Also, if Brainiac isn’t the villain, we riot. It’s gotta be him.

Agree, although I don't think it's weird for a grown woman to use the name Supergirl. Women do still refer to themselves as girls. They're using it in a different sense to denoting a child. Rather, it's a less formal way of saying woman or female. Its male equivalent would be "guy" rather than "boy".

It's like how they might use the phrase "girls' night out", or even use it for a band like the Spice Girls (as opposed to the Spice Women). Or like how Cyndi Lauper sang "Girls just wanna have fun". She wasn't refering to little girls in the song.

But in any event, I do agree Supergirl needs to be a teenager rather than a woman in her mid to late 20s like the series.

Last edited:
Apparently they are looking at Hailee Steinfeld and Elle Fanning for the role. I'd prefer Hailee, I dont get the hype for Elle. Dakota is the better actress of the sisters (imo)

I’d prefer Elle, but both are a bit older than I was hoping they’d go, tbh. If this is the age they want then both are good options though, imo. Elle just naturally looks more like the character.

Apparently they are looking at Hailee Steinfeld and Elle Fanning for the role. I'd prefer Hailee, I dont get the hype for Elle. Dakota is the better actress of the sisters (imo)
Source? Fanning was my fan-cast a while ago... wanted Steinfeld for Batgirl, not sure how they can do that considering the Pattman's age.

I’d prefer Elle, but both are a bit older than I was hoping they’d go, tbh. If this is the age they want then both are good options though, imo. Elle just naturally looks more like the character.

Not a fan of either for the role, nor of Dakota Fanning either. If forced to choose, then Elle rather than Hailee, but I'd prefer they find someone else, and someone with a naturally warmer face like Helen Slater or Melissa Benoist had.

Is it too much to hope that they'll cast a new girl? Or somebody who's come up as a really strong performer in smaller films and is ready for a shot at the big leagues? Isn't that the tradition?

Is it too much to hope that they'll cast a new girl? Or somebody who's come up as a really strong performer in smaller films and is ready for a shot at the big leagues? Isn't that the tradition?
I would certainly prefer this.

I like Fanning as an actress (thought she was fantastic in Super 8) but facially Steinfield looks more like CB Supergirl to me (as far as I know I haven't seen her in anything).

My mental image of Supergirl is pretty much a young Nicole Eggert. Elle doesn't really jump out at me for the role (I like suggestions I've seen of Angourie Rice or Kathryn Newton better), but that'd be fine. I'd choose her over Hailee.

Source? Fanning was my fan-cast a while ago... wanted Steinfeld for Batgirl, not sure how they can do that considering the Pattman's age.

Looking around, the source is "We Got This Covered" so this is not reliable.

I seriously hope Supergirl does not have big boobs. She needs to seem approachable and not intimidating at all. I'd still like someone similar to Helen Slater for a modern audience.

She would seem less approachable because she has larger breasts?

This thread has gotten kinda pervy now.... :o

I'll just be glad if WB casts an actual teenager in the role, because that's how I've always seen Supergirl, largely thanks to STAS/JL/JLU. The younger the better, so that the actress can be in more than one movie, maybe even a trilogy. I don't want a repeat of a late 20s woman like on the CW show—although it works on that show, but for a movie we should get something different. That episode on the CW show where it went back to high school, complete with high school-aged Kara and Alex, is kinda what I'd prefer to see in a movie.

I'll just be glad if WB casts an actual teenager in the role, because that's how I've always seen Supergirl, largely thanks to STAS/JL/JLU. The younger the better, so that the actress can be in more than one movie, maybe even a trilogy. I don't want a repeat of a late 20s woman like on the CW show—although it works on that show, but for a movie we should get something different.
Ditto on the teenager/teenaged looking actress. Although I'm not a fan of the CW show I like what Benoist does with the role. But yeah, I want a young Kara now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"