Supergirl Movie

Since a young Nicole Eggert is visually more or less my ideal for Kara, Angourie looks as close as anyone I can think of offhand. Kathryn Newton would be good, too (I mean, both of them would be good in general). If they cast really young (and honestly, Tom Holland was 20 when they started filming Homecoming even though it's a high school trilogy), then I wouldn't know who to fancast.
Young Nicole Eggert definitely had the look :up:

Someone will bring her up eventually.

Esme Creed-Miles, the lead of Amazon's "Hanna," might be someone WB would look at if Supergirl ever happens. Esme Creed-Miles - IMDb

e40d5723-e0cf-4f37-87f0-be16c996d291-Hanna.jpg

61bxMZLn1sL._RI_.jpg

armed-and-dangerous-hanna-s2e5.jpg

There's no active script commissioned now though, so Supergirl is just a pipedream at the moment.

Last edited:
From Spider-man? lol. She's 5'2 and doesn't look like a superhero though.

They should at least cast a blonde who has a sharp model-esque look and a decent height. Helen Slater and Vandervoort had that look in their prime.
Wallis Day from Krypton had that look as well. Could believe she was from a genetically-engineered alien race.
She's beautiful, super charismatic, actually looks like a teenager and really does look like Kara. I don't see why the standard needs to be model style traditional hawt babe. The whole gunning for the generic model look for these roles needs to die very very badly.

She's beautiful, super charismatic, actually looks like a teenager and really does look like Kara. I don't see why the standard needs to be model style traditional hawt babe. The whole gunning for the generic model look for these roles needs to die very very badly.

Looks play an important role for an outworldly, god-like character like this.

They play a big part when casting Superman, so Supergirl shouldn't be any different.

Looks play an important role for an outworldly, god-like character like this.

They play a big part when casting Superman, so Supergirl shouldn't be any different.
Yeah, Kara should be pretty and blonde. Apart from that who gives a damn if she conforms to a narrow minded, obvious definition of attractiveness?

Yes. Superman needs to be big and handsome. That's it. He doesn't have to be a cartoonishly chiseled slab of man like Henry Cavill. Christopher Reeve wasn't even that, he was just... a handsome man. Same principle.

Disagreed. Reeve was as close to the quintessential Superman look as you could get. Especially at 6'4.

Sure he was skinny when first cast, but that's something that can be easily fixed by training and movie magic. He had an outworldly god-like look to him. Definitely not your average dude.

In fact, if they had cast him as a (really tall) Jesus, I'd buy it.

Still can't believe he was only in his 20s during this
-VuzcA-j9vL_udOq8SpRnqXBf5-p8Xj_DqsFuon9H3XZejWo6cRiR5DHjD-OTgeZ0YHvWd-NjiK5SSSmb7syjWAZsYBvpVXn7REENZPtPK0AfF5-wJH3RgOaUbezRIBwfFSyAkZUDxrK_Gx_2dXI2mvrq19-cbkMBF1Wp2CzFqMBbC3dP7fGUjbNbvIRLQ

Here I am thinking Melissa Benoist is the most attractive woman on the planet :shrug:

Here I am thinking Melissa Benoist is the most attractive woman on the planet :shrug:

She's okay for the 'girl next door' type. A lot of people question Hoechilin's look for Superman as well.

To me, they're both decently acceptable for a cheap CW show that barely has an audience.

The films can do better.

I can’t conceive of anyone thinking Melissa Benoist not being attractive enough for...anything, really. Anyone would be lucky to date someone as beautiful as her.

In any case, very few superheroes need to look like literal models to live up to their own myths. Attractive, sure, but a “sharp model esque” look is so unnecessarily specific.

I can’t conceive of anyone thinking Melissa Benoist not being attractive enough for...anything, really. Anyone would be lucky to date someone as beautiful as her.

People have different tastes. It's the same with attractive people as it is with food or music or movies.

I'll acknowledge that I have an idea of what Superman looks like, and it's not a matter of him being handsome, although handsome seems to be a natural consequence of it. I have my idea of what Kara looks like, too, like I demonstrated before. Melissa Benoist didn't particularly fit not because she wasn't attractive enough but because she wasn't much of a blonde, which is why they went with a darker shade of blonde. It's something I can move past, though. Even if they gave Kara dark hair for whatever reason, I could deal with it. It just doesn't match my mental image of the character.

So I can understand MCU King having a particular idea of what Supergirl looks like, and I think I understand what he has in mind. At the same time, it's just a fact that not everyone is going to see her the same way. That Esme Creed-Mills actress, for example, is not who I would pick. I think Wallis Day works appearance-wise (I mean, ignoring age) but not as well as Angourie Rice.

People have different tastes. It's the same with attractive people as it is with food or music or movies.

Sure. But there’s a difference between saying, “I don’t think this person is attractive” and “I don’t think this person is attractive enough.” Both of those statements lead to subjective conversations, but those conversations aren’t exactly the same. Here, in this context, that person isn’t saying that they don’t find Melissa Benoist attractive (which would be fine); they’re saying she isn’t attractive enough to play Supergirl. And the reason for that is because she doesn’t look like a stereotypical model. That, to me, is such a weird and super specific criticism that is itself worthy of critique.

So I can understand MCU King having a particular idea of what Supergirl looks like...

Yeah, and it’s an incredibly specific one that I don’t think actually matters for the character in question. I don’t have a problem with wanting Kara to be attractive or not finding Melissa Benoist attractive; it’s the criteria I think is odd.

Sure. But there’s a difference between saying, “I don’t think this person is attractive” and “I don’t think this person is attractive enough.” Both of those statements lead to subjective conversations, but those conversations aren’t exactly the same. Here, in this context, that person isn’t saying that they don’t find Melissa Benoist attractive (which would be fine); they’re saying she isn’t attractive enough to play Supergirl. And the reason for that is because she doesn’t look like a stereotypical model. That, to me, is such a weird and super specific criticism that is itself worthy of critique.

Yeah, and it’s an incredibly specific one that I don’t think actually matters for the character in question. I don’t have a problem with wanting Kara to be attractive or not finding Melissa Benoist attractive; it’s the criteria I think is odd.

I don't know if he cares more than I do about how exactly she looks or if he's operating under the belief that there's a consensus as to how she should look. People create associations based on their experiences and how they engage with them, so knowing his (or anyone's) background with the character would make it easier to understand.

Like, my first real experience with Supergirl was reading the novelization of the Helen Slater movie. Not really seeing her and reading things from her perspective and not even being at an age where I was into girls I think helped me see her more as a teen girl rather than a space goddess or idealization of female attractiveness or whatever. Whereas if I'd begun by watching the movie as a teen and seeing Helen Slater looking like she does and being dignified and larger than life, it probably would have had a big impact on my perspective.

Helen Slater was excellent and elevated that movie a lot, but I didn't actually watch it until much later. At least when I was a kid, the novelization read differently, so my absolute dream Supergirl movie would be more of a naturalistic, relatable teen film with an eighties vibe, so more like ...Say Anything with superpowers.

(And that is me being hyperspecific. I'm up for different approaches to the character.)

Got to meet her at a convention once, just a ridiculously beautiful woman in person, and was incredibly nice to all of her fans, we were lucky to have her in the role.
I believe it!
59162f853a88e4aedb332df31c0d0bdf.jpeg

Melissa is the perfect mix of hotness and cuteness. Not so ridiculously hot to be intimidating to talk to, friendly enough face to be able to strike up a conversation with. Wasn't fond of her hair bangs looks though. Too bad I think her talents are wasted on these cheap TV shows, her personality and charisma would work well for rom-com movies.

Helen Slater embodied Supergirl perfectly, IMO.

The movie was a dog breakfast but she was perfectly cast. The 2 Disk DVD they released about 15 years ago has supplemental behind the scenes material that was significantly better than the actual film.

...they said, completely un-ironically, with an avatar of Henry Cavill in a Superman costume.

Melissa is the perfect mix of hotness and cuteness. Not so ridiculously hot to be intimidating to talk to, friendly enough face to be able to strike up a conversation with. Wasn't fond of her hair bangs looks though. Too bad I think her talents are wasted on these cheap TV shows, her personality and charisma would work well for rom-com movies.

Agreed 100%. She can finally go on to bigger and better things now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"