Supergirl Supergirl S2, Episode 7 "The Darkest Place" MAJOR SPOILERS

I guess it was supposed to be an opening "shock" teaser. And to be fair, the subsequent scene was clearly marked as "24 hours earlier." :cwink:

Doesn't the comic book version of CS have comparable strength to Superman? And the Supergirl version did beat up Kara quite handily. Seems like picking up the heavy FOS key would be within his capabilities.

I thought this ep. was one of the better ones - nicely balancing several storylines.

I missed the 24 hour thing, I was watching it on my Kindle since they are having issues getting it to Amazon.com and Amazon.Tv.....:yay:

Yeah it said "24 Hours Earlier" as soon as it cut to everyone having a good time at the bar. Basically a flashforward trick to make us think she'd soon be fighting a blood-crazed J'onn.

Yeah it said "24 Hours Earlier" as soon as it cut to everyone having a good time at the bar. Basically a flashforward trick to make us think she'd soon be fighting a blood-crazed J'onn.

Yeah, I don't always catch those things on my Kindle...10" screen, NOOOOOOT quite big enough to catch all the details. LOL

But hey, I'm not complaining, at least they got it to my Kindle....I would have been beyond pissed if this glitch at Amazon had included my Kindle and not just my computer and TV.

Yeah, I don't always catch those things on my Kindle...10" screen, NOOOOOOT quite big enough to catch all the details. LOL

But hey, I'm not complaining, at least they got it to my Kindle....I would have been beyond pissed if this glitch at Amazon had included my Kindle and not just my computer and TV.
Honestly, I missed the "24 hours earlier" thing on my phone (I have to watch Supergirl on the way to work on Tuesdays 'cause it's pretty late in Argentina), but I didn't have any trouble figuring it out, it's such a common trope.

Honestly, I missed the "24 hours earlier" thing on my phone (I have to watch Supergirl on the way to work on Tuesdays 'cause it's pretty late in Argentina), but I didn't have any trouble figuring it out, it's such a common trope.

Hey, it was early for me....sue me. :o:oldrazz:

Hey, it was early for me....sue me. :o:oldrazz:
youve-been-served-300.jpg

Way too packed. Really should've dropped one of the four storylines going on. I'm excited to see what David Harewood does with Cyborg Superman. I do think that the Cyborg Superman may have been a bit premature, as I don't think he is finished. The J'onn and M'gann stuff really needed more time. I don't mind the Guardian stuff, but it felt really out of place this episode.

I am not going to offer a rating on this because i would be alone. Sure this episode was fast paced, but unlike "Bizarro" from last season there was a lot to offer.

I agree with the action scenes. If this was James Bam Bam Bamford's work, he gets one of my high fives.

Other 5's...

Jeremy Jordan for making this Guardian thing palatable with his Cisco like antics...the sort of Robin to Guardian's Batman and yes i loved Kara's shade at the Caped Crusader as well.

Chyler Leigh...She was named Spoiler TV's actress of the month for October, and I think you are seeing why. Whether with Kara or Maggie, there is always a spark. And her slap at Winn...A RIOT.

Dean Cain...one poster on Twitter said "You still got it (clap 5X)" like they do for a missed pro wrestler or something. I was a little emotional with Supergirl and Jeremiah's meeting. And yes...HE STILL has it. (OT, this week he and fellow 90's TV icon Melissa Joan Hart star in the Hallmark Channel movie "Broadcasting Christmas." He talked about that and Supergirl on Access Hollywood Live.)

Chris Wood...his Mon-El I am getting used to and this relationship with Kara has more ups and downs than Wall Street. But the way he plays the character is kind of cool; s guy's guy; a dude's dude.

Floriana Lima...for looking badass and hot as a cop, but a total heartbreaker for Alex. I guess Alex is in the old friendzone for the duration.

Melissa Benoist, for still being the beacon of light, hope, and junk food for all of us. i mean pizza and potstickers may as well be like spinach for Popeye...now there's a dichotomy for ya!

I did like the Thanagar drop...could it be that Ciara Renee might come to the show as Hawkgirl after leaving Legends of Tomorrow?

A high ten to David Harewood...WOW playing Jonn/MM and the real Henshaw/Cyborg Superman...MIND BLOWN!!! You sir deserve to throwback a good pint or two. The star of this episode no doubt!

D-bags of the week...well to the writers for putting so much on at a fast pace and making Supergirl look weak when she could've simply kicked those Cadmus guards asses in. Maybe at Cadmus there is some Kryptonite radiation or because it's so darn dark the lack of sun weakens Supergirl.

The Doctor...she is George Soros, Bill Gates and any other of these power mad globalists I detest...COMBINED! She is one of those crazy population control people who claims to do good...LOOK BABY, A SO-CALLED PATRIOT DOES NOT KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE LIKE SUPERGIRL. LILIAN LUTHOR, LIKE HER SON LEX, IS ALL ABOUT POWER AND CONTROL! I only hope in Medusa (which starts the crossover next Monday), Lena helps Kara out and tells her psycho-b-word mom where to stick it!

James Olsen/Guardian...memo to James Batholomew Olsen...PACK YOUR BAGS DUDE; PERRY WHITE AND MR. KENT AWAIT YOU BACK IN METROPOLIS! And that is all I have to say about that.

I knew the reveal of Cyborg Superman depended on execution, knowing it would be the REAL Henshaw. And the reveal was more like a baby's first step. And why take Supergirl's blood.DNA to the fortress, so her identity can be stolen so the plot of Medusa or Myriad 2.0 can be revealed?

Well, the much anticipated crossover awaits us with Medusa...actually it comes at the end of the show when Barry Allen returns to National City and brings Cisco along. Wonder how smitten Mr. Ramon aka Vibe will be with Kara the cute Kryptonian kitten (meow!)?

This episode was a mixed bag for me. First the good stuff: David Harewood was superb in his portrayals of two very different characters in the same episode. He was excellent as both Hank/J'onn and as the real Hank Henshaw/Cyborg Superman. And in his debut as the Cyborg, Harewood was nicely menacing and threatening. His acting skills and natural charisma really came through.

The Cadmus storyline was accelerated in a way I appreciated, and I loved all of Mon-El's scenes. Mon-El continues to be one of the best new characters on the show, and his interactions with Kara have been quite good for the most part.

The episode's biggest problems, as most people have already said, were James and his whole masquerade as the Guardian. These things are clearly the weakest elements in the show right now. The Guardian storyline was pretty dull, which was especially unfortunate because it took up a fairly large chunk of the screentime in this episode. Every time James was onscreen, I kept wishing that the show would go back to Kara and Mon-El, or Alex and Maggie, or J'onn and M'Gann. Winn was good as always, but he still couldn't do much to improve James' scenes.

The whole conflict between James/Guardian and that violent vigilante was pretty boring for the most part, and it felt like a poor, sloppy use of the usually compelling theme in which a hero clashes with someone who is more violent, extreme, or unethical and thinks his more extreme methods of fighting crime are better than the hero's ways. This theme has been done so much better this year on Daredevil, Arrow, and Agents of SHIELD. We saw it portrayed in compelling, thrilling ways with Daredevil vs. Punisher, Green Arrow vs. Vigilante, and Quake/SHIELD vs. Ghost Rider. James' storyline, on the other hand, felt like a pale imitation of these epic conflicts.

The weak elements aside, I did like how the episode escalated the Cadmus arc and furthered J'onn's arc, and I'm hopeful this will lay the groundwork for a good midseason finale in December.

Hmm..

It feels like they threw the kitchen sink at making this one of the biggest and most important episodes of the season, but it just came out as mediocre.

Like you had Kara's dad, Cyborg Superman, the meeting with Cadmus and the end scene. Yet it just kinda all fell flat. Which is a shame and a bit surprising because the CW are usually really good with these kinda episodes.

And even stranger is that the CW is usually terrible with the melodrama but I really enjoyed Alex and Maggie (so cute), Kara and Mon-El and the M'Gann stuff.

But yeah.... I think this could have been so much more, just didn't click for me.

Also one thing that is really grating at me, has been most of the season, and I really hope they pick up on it soon is J'onn.

His behavior, while understandable at a reach, is completely and utterly indefensible. Who does he think he is to lock her up?

So far this season he's been a jerk because she wouldn't have martian mind sex with him, been a jerk because she was fighting, been a jerk because she wouldn't spend time with him, beaten up a woman because she isn't the same skin color as him and now he's just locked her up because he's decided that her race is unsafe, while his is absolutely fine to be in charge of alien police.

All she's really done is try to stop him getting attached, earn some money and save his life under duress.

I mean he was getting into stalker territory and now he's just full out racist yet they're still pushing him as a hero. I think they should address this and soon. He's barely been nice to the other characters on the show, but he's stepping over the line here.

J'onn... His behavior, while understandable at a reach, is completely and utterly indefensible. Who does he think he is to lock her up?

So far this season he's been a jerk because she wouldn't have martian mind sex with him, been a jerk because she was fighting, been a jerk because she wouldn't spend time with him, beaten up a woman because she isn't the same skin color as him and now he's just locked her up because he's decided that her race is unsafe, while his is absolutely fine to be in charge of alien police.

I guess having his wife and kids (and species) wiped out in a genocide has made J'onn a tad cranky. :word:

Also one thing that is really grating at me, has been most of the season, and I really hope they pick up on it soon is J'onn.

His behavior, while understandable at a reach, is completely and utterly indefensible. Who does he think he is to lock her up?

All she's really done is try to stop him getting attached, earn some money and save his life under duress.

I mean he was getting into stalker territory and now he's just full out racist yet they're still pushing him as a hero. I think they should address this and soon. He's barely been nice to the other characters on the show, but he's stepping over the line here.

Yeah...finding out the person you thought was the last with you, went through what you went through, and understands who you are inside and out, is a part of the group that destroyed your entire race, including your family....yeah, he is being totally, totally irrational....damn him.

This episode was a mixed bag for me. First the good stuff: David Harewood was superb in his portrayals of two very different characters in the same episode. He was excellent as both Hank/J'onn and as the real Hank Henshaw/Cyborg Superman. And in his debut as the Cyborg, Harewood was nicely menacing and threatening. His acting skills and natural charisma really came through.

The Cadmus storyline was accelerated in a way I appreciated, and I loved all of Mon-El's scenes. Mon-El continues to be one of the best new characters on the show, and his interactions with Kara have been quite good for the most part.

The episode's biggest problems, as most people have already said, were James and his whole masquerade as the Guardian. These things are clearly the weakest elements in the show right now. The Guardian storyline was pretty dull, which was especially unfortunate because it took up a fairly large chunk of the screentime in this episode. Every time James was onscreen, I kept wishing that the show would go back to Kara and Mon-El, or Alex and Maggie, or J'onn and M'Gann. Winn was good as always, but he still couldn't do much to improve James' scenes.

The whole conflict between James/Guardian and that violent vigilante was pretty boring for the most part, and it felt like a poor, sloppy use of the usually compelling theme in which a hero clashes with someone who is more violent, extreme, or unethical and thinks his more extreme methods of fighting crime are better than the hero's ways. This theme has been done so much better this year on Daredevil, Arrow, and Agents of SHIELD. We saw it portrayed in compelling, thrilling ways with Daredevil vs. Punisher, Green Arrow vs. Vigilante, and Quake/SHIELD vs. Ghost Rider. James' storyline, on the other hand, felt like a pale imitation of these epic conflicts.

The weak elements aside, I did like how the episode escalated the Cadmus arc and furthered J'onn's arc, and I'm hopeful this will lay the groundwork for a good midseason finale in December.

Actually, the Guardian scenes took up about 7 to 8 minutes of the entire episode.

So, thoughts about this episode. . .

Well, my worst fears about the J'onn subplot didn't quite come to pass. White Martian blood isn't *intrinsically* evil, its just deliberate mad science experiments in bioweapons of which M'Gann is unfortunately infected. Still a little squicky, but not completely horrible. Will be watching this subplot with concern, though- if J'onn is being transformed into a white martian, that gives a lot of opportunities for "white martians are intrinsically evil" subplots, which would be ewww.

The Cadmus plot was fine, though for all their hatred of aliens, Cadmus sure loves using alien tech. Still, especially after revealing that they are led by Mama Luthor? I have no issue at all with them having fairly improbable technological superpower. The Mon-el susceptibility to bullets is still kind of dumb, though.

Guardian. . . okay, two problems. One, the subplot had some of the laziest directing I've seen, in terms of not even *pretending* to justify stuff like "cops showing up don't see the big guy in armor who just started jogging to the said a second ago". Two, I realized that James Olsen has done nothing to earn being a superhero. All his ability to do heroic, he was given by other people ( Winn ), and only due to emotional blackmail. Which, if it were more purely selfless, might not be as big a problem. . . but its not. His entire subplot drips in attention-mongering. Its all about James.

I don't know why, but that comment about masks early on stuck with me. It's a testament, I think, to how naive the folks in Superman and Supergirl's world are, in any incarnation, that they can't recognize Clark or Kara for who they are when not in costume versus someone like Peter Parker.

That and I guess it helps that most of the people in Kara's life here are capable of protecting or handling themselves, except for maybe Winn. And given how often Kara's friends have been useful and helpful in battle, I guess that could be why they don't get how wearing a mask is beneficial to protecting the people close to them and hiding their identity since no one recognizes Kara.

Heck, Barry still had his mask on during battle when he came to Kara's world- though yeah, he did have it off when at the DEO- but based on the comments about masks and voice changers, I figure Kara's head might explode when she and Oliver are in the field together.

I don't know why, but that comment about masks early on stuck with me. It's a testament, I think, to how naive the folks in Superman and Supergirl's world are, in any incarnation, that they can't recognize Clark or Kara for who they are when not in costume versus someone like Peter Parker.

That and I guess it helps that most of the people in Kara's life here are capable of protecting or handling themselves, except for maybe Winn. And given how often Kara's friends have been useful and helpful in battle, I guess that could be why they don't get how wearing a mask is beneficial to protecting the people close to them and hiding their identity since no one recognizes Kara.

Heck, Barry still had his mask on during battle when he came to Kara's world- though yeah, he did have it off when at the DEO- but based on the comments about masks and voice changers, I figure Kara's head might explode when she and Oliver are in the field together.

I definitely think Kara is going to learn some very valuable lessons next week. :)

Am I the only one who really, really doesn't want Mon-El and Kara to hook up? I really like the "big sister" aspect they have going here as she helps him understand his place on Earth. She's fulfilling a role that she missed with Kal-El.

Wow. Calling her a 'big sister' to Mon-el makes it feel so weird. I'm going to have to wipe that out of my mind.

Man, there was a lot going on in this episode. Was really hoping for Power Girl rather than Henshaw having access to the FOS. Superman needs to not leave that key out anymore.

What he has to do is stop leaving the key laying on top of the door mat. I never did like that huge key either. They could have had a normal sized key made of dwarf star metal that still would have been impossible to pick up.

Through this episode, we now know Batman exists as well as Thanagar.

I will bet you that Jeremiah is a clone of the original like Jim Harper.

Both Jeremiah and Eliza Danvers are now comic book characters from Supergirl's rebirth comics series.

If you're wondering why Guardian got plenty of screentime, it's because according to David Harewood that Melissa's scheduled was packed with this and the crossovers.

If that's the case, then let's hope for a little more Supergirl and a little less Guardian. I was willing to give his new story-arc a try, but they haven't pulled it off too well. He still might mature into the role, but it's not right now. Of their scenes, I feel that Winn carries most of it. He's actually more interesting that Guardian.

I hope they don't. I love the idea of Kara/Mon-El. I think one of the downfalls of this season is they have killed off relationship prospects too quickly (James/Kara, Maggie/Alex).

I wasn't all in on the Kara/James thing, but if that was where they were going with it I was just hoping they would do it well. So I wasn't disappointed when they nixed it. Just that they nixed it pretty dang quick! Her sudden non-interest in pursuing what had been a long arc from Season 1 should have had a few episodes at least before it fizzled.

But for Mallex, I don't feel like they pulled the plug on it. Not yet. They are still attracted and interested in each other, it's just that their messages got crossed in the wrong ways. Now I feel it'll just take a little longer. If you think about it, they barely knew each other when Alex just started hanging out with Maggie like a love-sick school girl.

Alex rushed in like a newb and an already gunshy Maggie got a bit spooked and defensive. Now (I hope) they'll get to really know each other and that spark will still be there when they are both on solid ground.

Actually, the Guardian scenes took up about 7 to 8 minutes of the entire episode.

Was that all?! It felt so much longer. Again, I think they handled the whole Guardian thing wrong. They rushed in with giving James 'a purpose' but there is nothing really natural about it.

I think they should have had something really terrible happen to him. Or to someone he loves. Say that after Kara turned him down he went back to Lucy on a rebound, but then found that 'hey, this is pretty good now!' But then something bad happens to Lucy. James is there but is powerless to stop her dying and could only watch it all. That would set up the mindset for Guardian. And as I write this, realize that is the story-arc for the Vigilante he battles.

That should have been James' story arc rather than wasting it on a throw-away villain!

And of course that is just Monday morning quarter-backing. Done is done, or begun. They have to either improve him with what they have - or kill him off in the season finale...

...or, put James in a wheel chair and start calling him Oracle!:sly:

Yeah...finding out the person you thought was the last with you, went through what you went through, and understands who you are inside and out, is a part of the group that destroyed your entire race, including your family....yeah, he is being totally, totally irrational....damn him.

Yes but look at it from the other side of the coin.

She hasn't done anything wrong. She went and found a bar to work in and stayed anonymous from the get-go. When he found her she was nice to him but understandably wanted to keep her distance which he would not let her do.

She attempted to leave but he stopped her from doing so. He then told her off for doing something he deems immoral.

She then gets asked to save his life and says no. However it's the only option aside from him dying, so she gives her own blood to do so. And then she checks he's okay.

Finally she decides to leave her life again. But before she can she is punched in the face. She does not fight back and then she is locked up.

And I'm just asking myself, what makes him right? I know this is going to end up well etc, but he's clearly the bad guy here genocide (which she did not have a part in) or not. He's being racist and abusive to women.

Berlanti's universe needs a Xander.

Berlanti's universe needs a Xander.
lol that's Wynn already ., we already have a Xander. the only difference is I hope he doesn't have the same fate. Xander got dissed and was left that way as in no hope in his personal life . Wynn needs a different path from Xander fate wise .

lol that's Wynn already ., we already have a Xander. the only difference is I hope he doesn't have the same fate. Xander got dissed and was left that way as in no hope in his personal life . Wynn needs a different path from Xander fate wise .

Wynn's a genius though. Xander was just a really good guy. Jimmy could have been that, but no, they had to make him a superhero.

Wynn's a genius though. Xander was just a really good guy. Jimmy could have been that, but no, they had to make him a superhero.
actually xander didshow some skill with budling things and he had the geek's beside him self he can help build things with. the problem is after the whole being dumped by cordilia after his stupid cheating with wilow and being hooked up to a former demon turned demon yet again only to watch her be killed .

the writers on buffy just gave up on Xander over all and he was just there on screen.

yeah they made him had a fling with faith and after it was still down hill for him.

he makes gear for the slayers in the books. but that's it . they could have extended it on the show but they didn't and it's kinda too late. so yeah wynn is smarter but only cause the former's writers didn't quite know what to do with Xander beyond relationships. they gave a skill as builder and maker of weapons . but didn't really do much with that where Xander was involved, cause of priority's and didn't know where to take xander direction wise.

james is another direction issue currently for the writers of super girl ,cause they made the mistake of not allowing him to be come a reporter and cameraman/ person like for example April O'neal in the first animated series of ninja turtles and there are other reporters that are them selves their own camera person .

this is a case of missed opportunity with the writers of super girl . and sadly miscasting . and where guarding being used james lack of understanding what it truly means to be hero and be selfish and black mailer to get it. and again his motivation was that his camera got broken cause got into it with not so bright street crook that had high end tech yes but he wasn't bright.

James should have put that camera he so love cause it belonged to dad in safe place before tackling that guy. . But nooooo and that his motivation for the series .

Macad was mis cast cause they just wanted Eye candy and they knew kara had thing for the character of jimmy where they dated in the books .

he really should have been steel.

Last edited:
Please tell me I'm not the only one who squeed when Jeremiah (Dean Cain) was revealed? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"