Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - Part 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked that Homecoming was much smaller and less ambitious in scope in comparison to other CBMs. School life, prom, street heroics. Similar to Ant-Man, it was a really great change of pace in MCU.

For me, Ant Man is probably the most underrated MCU film.

Totally agree. I think the greatest appeal of these two movies were the fact that they understood that they needed to be on a much smaller scale and went there, when you could have easily had them do a paint by numbers large scale villain and event which might have made them more money in the short term, but staying true to the characters and their place in this universe just makes more sense for them in the longer term, through the overarching narrative they are going for. AFAIC, its a risk they took with these movies and it has paid off for them handsomely.

Yep!
attachment.php

I really think it is. At first it didn't impress me much, but I re-watched it several times this year to my own surprise and had a lot of fun.

I think it’s very middle of the road. Possibly the most forgettable MCU film I’ve seen.

Ragnarok is the most ridiculous superhero movie ever made. I love it for that.

I liked that Homecoming was much smaller and less ambitious in scope in comparison to other CBMs. School life, prom, street heroics. Similar to Ant-Man, it was a really great change of pace in MCU.

Yeah that's cool but you can so smaller scale and make it better than what Homecoming was to me. As you said, Ant Man was smaller scale and I thought it handled it very well for the most part. I like that they kept things "street level" in HC but they coils be done more

It kinda makes me wish they’d given Rudd another role.

I think Paul Rudd is great as Scott Lang.

...when he's directed by the Russos

I think Paul Rudd is great as Scott Lang.

His performance isn’t a problem for me. I just think he’s too good for the character he’s playing, even if he’s doing a fine job of it.

Ant-Man ticks the boxes of being a "competent" movie, but it's one I never need to watch again.

I feel like if there is one movie that suffers from being in the MCU, it's this one. The concept is great, there are some trippy elements and sequences, but they feel restrained, like they are not really doing the concept justice. The Quantum Realm sequence is cool yeah and I do like the movie, but the overall package just doesn't pack the punch I think it could have. The random "Here's an Avenger!" scene did not help. I really wish Marvel had decided to take it on the chin and allowed Edgar Wright to make his movie. No offense to Peyton Reed, who did a good job coming in late to salvage the production.

The Incredible Hulk is the most underrated one. I'm very familiar with how you think of it, that is one reason I bring that up again.

I'm a fan of Ant-Man the movie, and it's an underrated gem for sure.

Put me for TFA as one of the most underrated MCU movies.

Ant-Man gets a lot of praise, however during one of the most recent averaged rankings...Ant-Man was only above IM3, TIH, T: DW & IM2.

But again, those movies after the Top 6/7 MCU movies does get hard in terms of ranking....

I like Ant Man because Yea, it's a competently made movie. But let's be real... they made Ant Man pretty cool when he's an incredibly difficult character to make cool. The action sequences were very creative and just the whole portrayal of his powers were done really well. The director deserves credit where credit is due. The fight in the briefcase and the finale in the Thomas the tank engine play set were brilliant.

I thought Rudd was great. He seemed exasperated and out of his depth, but I could relate to him pushing himself into this crazy world for the sake of his daughter. It wasn't necessarily about saving the entire world. I thought Douglas was fantastic when in reality he could've just phoned it in. Michael Pena is probably my favourite supporting character in any of these films.

Considering the behind the scenes struggles the film had with Edgar Wright leaving in the 11th hour, it's a miracle it turned out as well as it did.

To me that Falcon scene is my favorite one in the movie. Yeah yeah, movies aren't supposed to have random guest appearances or something. But I love stuff like that in the comics and I welcome it to the movies. Plus, it served the story by showing us how competent Scott had become.

What is Ant Man a rip off of?

It's an Edgar Wright movie without Edgar Wright.

I think a better term I was looking for is knock off. I clearly see Edgar Wrights fingerprints over the movie. But it is executed in a way just off enough to be noticeable to me, that it feels like a cheap knockoff. Sort of how Agents of Shield is a Whedon show without Whedon.

Frankly, it is the only Marvel film that really angers me.

...when he's directed by the Russos

What did the Russo's do with him? All he did was make mediocre jokes and act like a cartoon. He was funny in Ant-Man and for the most part he wasn't so cartoony.

It's an Edgar Wright movie without Edgar Wright.

I think a better term I was looking for is knock off. I clearly see Edgar Wrights fingerprints over the movie. But it is executed in a way just off enough to be noticeable to me, that it feels like a cheap knockoff. Sort of how Agents of Shield is a Whedon show without Whedon.

Frankly, it is the only Marvel film that really angers me.

It does not feel like an Edgar Wright movie at all. You watch any of the Cornetto trilogy, Baby Driver, or Scott Pilgrim and I don't see that same kinda DNA in those that's in Ant-Man. The humor isn't similar, the cinematography isn't similar, the characters aren't similar, the dialogue isn't similar. I am not seeing how Ant-Man is an Wright movie rip off.

What did the Russo's do with him? All he did was make mediocre jokes and act like a cartoon. He was funny in Ant-Man and for the most part he wasn't so cartoony.

...They got him to act...even if it was just middle-aged Peter Parker. Not big on Paul Rudd's default shtick especially knowing what he's surprisingly capable of.

...They got him to act...even if it was just middle-aged Peter Parker. Not big on Paul Rudd's default shtick especially knowing what he's surprisingly capable of.

When did they “get him to act”? He had like ten lines in the whole movie and most of them were jokes.

When did they “get him to act”? He had like ten lines in the whole movie and most of them were jokes.

This guy gets it.

I don't even think it's an exaggeration to say that all his lines were jokes. He was just comedy relief. And while he was pretty funny, I mean it is Paul Rudd. But at least in Ant-Man he came across as competent and he was funny without just being a complete goof.

On another note: His involvement in Civil War actually pissed me off. After his whole arc in Ant-Man for wanting to be there for his daughter and not wanting to go back to jail, but like a month later he does something to become a fugitive. Just dumb development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"