Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - Part 43

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Dec 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

New Mutants is delayed for 10 months? Looks like that film is doing totally fine...

2. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the delivery time the doctor has prescribed.

3. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Oh, cut the BS.

RDJ gets paid the amount he does because he, as Tony Stark, brings in exponentially more money than anyone else on Marvel's cast roster, and because his agent is able to argue that point in contract negotiations, and because Marvel in the end agree that he is worth it.

Scarlett got paid 3 times more than anyone not named Robert Downey, Jr on AoU (which you seem to take no issue with) because she and her agent made the argument, based on her track record, to Marvel.
    She didn't get RDJ's salary, not because of sexism, but because trying to argue that Scarlett had done remotely as much for Marvel as RDJ would be absurd to the point of being laughed out of the office.

In turn, Evans, Hemsworth, etc, could not put up an argument to be paid as much as Scarlett, because factually they don't have one, therefore they were payed 3 times less than she was.

This is not a case of a woman doing the same work as a man, with the same experience, education & bringing in the same revenue/results for the company, but still being paid less (Which is what the pay gap actually is supposed to be about, btw).

You get paid what you can argue your worth is to the studio. Your argument can really only be made on your track record. If you think you should be paid more than you are then either you are wrong, or you have a s****y agent, fire them and get a better one.

That's even without considering the original contracts they all signed.

How it is brought up in many scenarios where a man is making more than a woman is very often inaccurate. It usually reduces everything down to a singular criteria. That being "the man is making more than the woman?? SEXISM!". It throws out every other factor and makes it all purely about gender. Which undermines actual instances of sexism. So yes, that's f***ing silly.

See no further than the current RDJ paycheck discussion for an example.

Not really. He "suppoesd" MCU women/Scarlett weren't being paid as much as their/her male MCU co-stars because of gender. He was beyond inaccurate, but the wording was the ony thing he could nitpick in my post, so that's what he responded to.

4. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

I asked this in another thread but is it because of quality concerns or because of the Gambit missteps

5. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Well-Known Member

I wonder why this is such an issue with film. You never see it other fields. How many times have you seen someone complain that Brett Hundley isn't getting paid as much as Aaron Rodgers?

6. AlluAllu

AlluAllu Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time when a superhero movie was delayed this badly so close to the release.

7. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Infinity

Looking forward to the new version of New Mutants :o

8. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Seems like a domino effect of Gambit's habitual ****uppery. Though Fox must be fairly confident with Deadpool 2 if they're moving it up in the middle of May's usual craziness, especially with Infinity War and Solo in the mix.

9. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Deadpool 2 is going to be a monster. So is IW and BP.

2018 has a good chance to be the highest grossing year for superhero films.

10. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Well-Known Member

Okay.

11. CaptainWagner

CaptainWagner Cool. Cool cool cool.

The New Mutants delay is totally out of left field. There wasn't any talk about production issues, and now its pushed back 10 months? That's super-annoying, I was looking forward to it most out of all of Fox's films next year.

12. Timebomb

Timebomb Well-Known Member

Not sure why Gambit would affect it though? I think it has to do with the film itself, what, I don't know.

13. TalismanRing

TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

That story was debunked by Variety. They spoke to Marvel and they were told Scarlett/Evans/Hemsworth all got paid the same for AOU. None of them got near $20m (closer to $20m all together) Salaries for the sequel solos were much higher than for the first couple of Avengers. (except RDJ who gets a % which was negotiated after the first IM). The actors also get bonuses dependent on B.O. milestones. Also, these last two Avengers films because of required contract extensions for Avengers 4 have considerable pay raises.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  14. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Phoenix gets moved to 2019 as well once they start doing test screenings...

15. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Fox wants or needs a superhero film out in the first quarter of 2019. New Mutants is basically taking Gambit's spot now that Gambit's production has shat itself. They probably did need to do reshoots with New Mutants, but killed two birds with one rock by moving it to Gambit's vacant spot.

16. TalismanRing

TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

The odd thing is - he wasn't. He was so crazy talented and liked by the people he worked with that he always had work even if it wasn't the best work. I think the late 90s is when it finally caught up with him professionally as well as legally. But he did Wonder Boys when on probation (it was released when he was in prison) and was given Ally McBeal a couple of weeks out of prison. During his stay he was let out for a day to do an Elton John music video. He worked consistently from then on even after he was fired from AB after he was caught using - twice. He then had a couple of issues being hired because films couldn't get insurance on him but he was still working.

So many people believe his career was in the gutter pre Iron Man but he'd done Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, A Scanner Darkly, Good Night & Good Luck & Zodiac and a couple of other movies in just the previous 2 years. Iron Man though was his first sizable (not to mention huge) financial success. (even if his pay for it was less than a month shooting Ally McBeal).

17. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

The length of the delay is likely due to Maise's schedule. If they felt they needed more than the scheduled reshoots, they kind of have to wait for her to finish Game of Thrones.

18. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

It better be the John Wick 2 of the series.

19. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah true. A lot more lol.

20. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

21. honestbharani

honestbharani Well-Known Member

Nah, not at all. Perlmutter sabotaging such movies makes sense, Feige planning out phase 3 assuming Perlmutter as boss makes sense. Feige and Co. deciding to launch it now with Perlmutter out and the saga closing down makes sense. I am glad they did not do it coz they "had" to do a female led SH movie and are instead taking time and ensuring it makes sense plot-wise while also giving it time to become something good. Don't forget that Feige mentioned that they were most "emotionally" committed to doing a BW movie a year or so ago. The pacing seems right.

22. honestbharani

Funny you should say that. Did you also say "Thanks, Spiderman and Xmen" after BB came out? :p

23. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

Nolan pretty much did

24. honestbharani

I would hardly consider "sources added" as any sort of "debunking". Its just all pure speculation as it was from the original story. Basically we have no ****ing clue how much any actor/tress makes from these movies. So its a moot discussion.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  25. honestbharani

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.