Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - Part 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the type of ******* for me. Especially once it becomes clear a director might be legitimately abusive on set and/or hold insanely awful views off it. I find out a director is obviously racist, sexist, homophobic or in general a bigot? Yeah.

Avatar had some seriously good legs, that's one of the big factors for the $2.7B. Same thing happened with Titanic.

Most superhero movies are frontloaded anyway, so I don't expect it to beat Avatar's record.

I completely separate the works from the maker when I watch them. I've seen plenty of Polanski's films and I'm glad I did since there were some really good ones. That has nothing to do with what I think of him outside his role as a creator.

Cameron might be an asswhole but he's also extremely talented and smart, I have a ton of respect for him. His Terminator movies are two of the best movies ever made, especially the first one.

I doubt IW is coming anywhere near Avatar's BO numbers, I doubt either of them will even get to $2B. Maybe it would've had a better chance if it wasn't split in two parts.

Anyone else here thinks the end of phase three is a good point to stop caring for MCU movies?

Anyone else here thinks the end of phase three is a good point to stop caring for MCU movies?

I feel like I already stopped caring. AoU and CW were some of my most anticipated movies ever, I struggled so hard to not read spoilers and watch TV Spots. Now I had even forgotten IW was coming out this month and I haven't even seen Black Panther. It's weird because Phase 3 has technically been better than the first two but I'm no longer as invested as I used to be. I'll still watch IW though.

I feel like I already stopped caring. AoU and CW were some of my most anticipated movies ever, I struggled so hard to not read spoilers and watch TV Spots. Now I had even forgotten IW was coming out this month and I haven't even seen Black Panther. It's weird because Phase 3 has technically been better than the first two but I'm no longer as invested as I used to be. I'll still watch IW though.
I love most of what we got so far, I'm thinking more like "This is too much".

I won't stop caring, but I would be lying if I said I would care as much as I do now when we may not be getting Cap in a film again, etc. But, once the FOX deal is official, we may be getting a MCU FF film! That is like, something that was on my bucket list, LOL!

So, the MCU still has me.

I only boycott people's work if they're criminals or I think they should be in jail because they are somehow morally reprehensible. But a-holes? I deal with those types everyday, and I assume many of them are still good at their jobs. I wouldn't want to be their friend, but if I'm not interested in them in a personal capacity and am there for their work, then the work is what I care about. I go to a restaurant, I don't care how the people there get along with each other or what kind of personality clashes are happening behind the scenes. I care about how good the food/service is. They do their jobs well, I'll go back.

What if the chef/waiting staff are really rude, would you go back then ? No, probably not.

Same applies for me, on the film thing, if a director treats his crew and support team like ****, I ain't watching their film. Karma. I appreciate me 'missing out' will do little to the film's said performance, I am sure Jim Cameron can live without my $10, but I'm supporting the team.

It depends on the type of ******* for me. Especially once it becomes clear a director might be legitimately abusive on set and/or hold insanely awful views off it. I find out a director is obviously racist, sexist, homophobic or in general a bigot? Yeah.

There is a line in this regard for me. Like, if they're legitimately physically or verbally abusive to people on set, not just known for being a jerk and yelling at people (like Cameron is mostly known for to my knowledge). On the front of bigoted views, yes it would turn me off if they're openly racist or something. But something like Scott Derrickson yelling at people about his religion on twitter, not enough for me. I also don't overtly care about Hollywood romantic entanglements, so if someone is cheating on their spouse, I don't overtly care. That's their personal business and not mine.

There is a line in this regard for me. Like, if they're legitimately physically or verbally abusive to people on set, not just known for being a jerk and yelling at people (like Cameron is mostly known for to my knowledge). On the front of bigoted views, yes it would turn me off if they're openly racist or something. But something like Scott Derrickson yelling at people about his religion on twitter, not enough for me. I also don't overtly care about Hollywood romantic entanglements, so if someone is cheating on their spouse, I don't overtly care. That's their personal business and not mine.

Again, if *icks be cheating, I ain't watching.

Again, if *icks be cheating, I ain't watching.

It doesn't effect my life. Like the whole Tiger Woods thing when he came on to apologize to the world for his serial cheating, my only thought was why are you apologizing to me? Go apologize to your family. If I don't know you personally, then I don't care what you do with who in that regard.

What if the chef/waiting staff are really rude, would you go back then ? No, probably not.

Same applies for me, on the film thing, if a director treats his crew and support team like ****, I ain't watching their film. Karma. I appreciate me 'missing out' will do little to the film's said performance, I am sure Jim Cameron can live without my $10, but I'm supporting the team.

That's not a balanced comparison. If the chef/waiting staff are rude to me, or to each other in front of me, then that's part of my restaurant experience. If people are rude on a film set that has no bearing on the film experience in the theater (or wherever you happen to watch it).

The people that are the equivalent of the waiting staff are the people working at the theater.

Last edited:
Mjölnir;36515159 said:
That's not a balanced comparison. If the chef/waiting staff are rude to me, or to each other in front of me, then that's part of my restaurant experience. If people are rude on a film set that has no bearing on the film experience in the theater (or wherever you happen to watch it).

The people that are the equivalent of the waiting staff is the people working at the theater.

Exactly. Heck, Gordon Ramsey is the nicest guy in the world...to his customers, LOL! Complete jerk to his staff very often, but everyone in the food industry basically wants to work with him (yes I am aware his on-screen persona is likely exaggerated...but he is a good example of what working with Cameron likely is like.).

Last few replies from everyone, ok, that's your bag, I got mine. :up:

If Marvel get X-Men and F4 back then it will go through the roof for me.

I feel indifferent towards MCU these days. I think they reached their potential a few years ago and team-up films don't have much appeal for me these days. Iron Man and Spider-Man smirking at each other isn't anything special now. Of course I want to see how the story with Thanos will end, but I'm not itching to see anything else.

There's also FF and X-Men, sure, but it's distant future. Probably not sooner than 5 years from now.

No because customer service is part of their job, so if they’re rude to me or other customers then they are not good at their job. How they are with each other behind-the-scenes is not my concern. Unless, as I said, there’s something criminal or equally morally reprehensible going on there. If I refused to support any place that employed a-holes in general, I’d be a hermit, lol.

Last edited:

I don't know about not caring, but I'll definitely be in a boat of indifference.

Outside of Spider-Man and Antman, I personally don't really care about any of the characters they're lining up to take the forefront. BP did nothing for me, and I found myself asking why I was even there during the movie. Once Infinity War comes out, I'm going to be taking it by movie. Probably won't rush to see most of them in theaters unless a trailer really blows me away.

At the very least we're due for a Spider-man sequel, a Black Panther sequel, and a Guardians sequel with the possibility of a second Dr. Strange (that actually might be confirmed) and an X-men/FF movie at some point. So nah.

Yeah, sexual predators like Polanski and that Jeepers Creepers pedophile aren’t getting my money, regardless of how good their movies might be. The same goes for grade-A creep David O. Russell, who didn’t see a problem with groping his transgender niece’s breasts. Speaking of Russell, that guy has to be the most overrated director in Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"