Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - Part 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOFP and X2 and in my Top 5 best CBMS ever. In terms of character development DOFP is easily better than IW but I don't understand why the comparision is being made. I hate when this happens, new movie comes out and has to be compared to everything else and of course people gravitate towards about the most recent one because it's the shiny new toy.

DOFP and X2 and in my Top 5 best CBMS ever. In terms of character development DOFP is easily better than IW but I don't understand why the comparision is being made. I hate when this happens, new movie comes out and has to be compared to everything else and of course people gravitate towards about the most recent one because it's the shiny new toy.

Not really. DOFP's only character arcs are Xavier's and, to a much lesser degree, Mystique's. Wolverine's practically just there because he's cool, Beast is fun to watch but again, just sort of there and, motivation-wise, this is probably Magneto at his worse, going full-on supervillain almost just because. Are IW's arc much more complex? No they're not, but DOFP is a plot-based movie and there's nothing wrong with comparing it with IW in that respect because both prioritize the same thing, not just because "it's the shiny new toy".

Not really. DOFP's only character arcs are Xavier's and, to a much lesser degree, Mystique's. Wolverine's practically just there because he's cool, Beast is fun to watch but again, just sort of there and, motivation-wise, this is probably Magneto at his worse, going full-on supervillain almost just because. Are IW's arc much more complex? No they're not, but DOFP is a plot-based movie and there's nothing wrong with comparing it with IW in that respect because both prioritize the same thing, not just because "it's the shiny new toy".

That's because there are no arcs. DOFP is more character focused. Their decisions, interactions and development are what drive the movie. IW is a big war movie with almost non-stop action and a few character moments sprinkled here and there. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but simply that if the basis of comparision is character work then DOFP is much better.

DoFP and X2 are definitely my favourite X-Men films.

That's because there are no arcs. DOFP is more character focused. Their decisions, interactions and development are what drive the movie. IW is a big war movie with almost non-stop action and a few character moments sprinkled here and there. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but simply that if the basis of comparision is character work then DOFP is much better.

Just because it focuses more on something doesn't mean that it actually executes better. Especially when it's the movie where the character with the second largest arc started to be uninterested in the role to the point where her lack of acceptance for make up directly contradicted the point the character was making. Still she had to get a huge role just because it's Jennifer Lawrence.

I'm certainly giving credit to McAvoy though. I don't love how they set up the arc but he has a really good performance in the movie.

I prefer DofP and FC. X2 didn't age well for me.

Just because it focuses more on something doesn't mean that it actually executes better. Especially when it's the movie where the character with the second largest arc started to be uninterested in the role to the point where her lack of acceptance for make up directly contradicted the point the character was making. Still she had to get a huge role just because it's Jennifer Lawrence.

I'm certainly giving credit to McAvoy though. I don't love how they set up the arc but he has a really good performance in the movie.

Well in this case it does execute it better. JLaw's acting was weak in Apocalypse(and in some of FC) but she was good in DOFP.

I think X Men 2 has aged fine. You can see the noticeable difference in the budget from film one to film two.

It's obviously from a different era but I love it as much as I did back then.

Question regarding IW: Does Black Widow have super powers now? That's not a spoiler, but she was doing some stuff in terms of holding off the Black Order that overpowered her way too much. It's like the same thing in JL/JLU with Batman where, I guess to help him keep up, they pretty much gave him superpowers.
What they did with Widow really seemed like that to me

Also very surprised by the lack of screentime she had as the, arguable, first lady of the MCU. But then again, as I said earlier all of Team Cap got the shaft screentime wise

I think X Men 2 has aged fine. You can see the noticeable difference in the budget from film one to film two.

Yeah I think X2 aged fine too. Other than SFX (which you can say with a lot of older movies) I don't see how it didn't age well

Last edited:
Apocalypse is my favorite X-film. Fight me!!!
What's that annoying thing you called me when I said I personally love TASM movies, although I did not diss what came before it? Cult of the new, was it?

It's time to use that on you. :o

I think it’s been alluded to that BW is enhanced but not to the extent as Steve is.

Yeah but in the first Avengers she has a hard time keeping up, but now she for the most part was fine.

They should just enhance her if she's gonna stick with close combat. At least Hawkeye usually stay from a distance

Yeah but in the first Avengers she has a hard time keeping up, but now she for the most part was fine.

They should just enhance her if she's gonna stick with close combat. At least Hawkeye usually stay from a distance

Her suit has those lines on it that light up, and I think it has some kind of “stinger function” since Age of Ultron. You can occasionally hear “shockwave” sound effects when she connects in combat.

Last edited:
how much do you guys wanna bet that the Ant-Man and the Wasp post credit scene is
Hope and Scott watching people crumble away ala IW. Particularly Hank Pym if he makes it through Ant Man and Wasp

Question regarding IW: Does Black Widow have super powers now? That's not a spoiler, but she was doing some stuff in terms of holding off the Black Order that overpowered her way too much. It's like the same thing in JL/JLU with Batman where, I guess to help him keep up, they pretty much gave him superpowers.

Also very surprised by the lack of screentime she had as the, arguable, first lady of the MCU. But then again, as I said earlier all of Team Cap got the shaft screentime wise

To be honest the power levels were pretty inconsistent throughout the movie.

how much do you guys wanna bet that the Ant-Man and the Wasp post credit scene is
Hope and Scott watching people crumble away ala IW. Particularly Hank Pym if he makes it through Ant Man and Wasp

I actually think they might put that in the actual movie towards the end.

To be honest the power levels were pretty inconsistent throughout the movie.

I actually think they might put that in the actual movie towards the end.

The only reason I say it wont be in the movie proper is because...idk but I just don't think they'd put it in the movie. Even if it's the last couple of seconds. I feel like the makers wouldn't like that shoe horned in.

However adding to my other prediction
Hawkeye shows up in the post credit scene as well

It’s just so weird that an Ant-man sequel is following Infinity War. Almost feels like an oversight.

I mean tbh to me it feels weird to get any MCU movie between IW and A4. Even if they are set before

[blackout]Captain Marvel needs her movie introducing her before A4 comes along.[/blackout]

Well yeah of course just like [BLACKOUT]Ant Man needs a movie to explain where he has been[/BLACKOUT]. But it still feels "weird"

Eh... she proved her salt during the first Avenger. Shoot, even Okoye fights and she has not powers either.

I never understood why they decided to have 2 movies in between A3 and A4. Not releasing anything would have increased the hype a lot. It makes more sense with Captain Marvel because the movie will be set in the 90s but it's gonna be weird with Ant-Man because his story is present day.

Btw they totally lied when they said A3 and A4 were gonna be independent movies, because IW is clearly part 1 and just because it doesn't say it in the title doesn't mean that's not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"