Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - Part 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I can't argue with that horrible line bit, but I can name movies that are significantly worse than BvS.
I'm genuinely still trying to think of a better execution of this.
As an action movie guy, I've seen countless "we must fight because you took someone I love" and so it was neat to get the opposite. I thought BvS didn't have the cutaway to the flashback scene, so glad it was there to jog the memory of the viewer and the character at the same time.
And this scene still involves a guy who kidnapped someone a titular character loved. :oldrazz:

I actually like the codenames scene in First Class. I thought it was very well-executed and entertaining.

The team-recruit scene is also very well-directed.
2761711-1657.jpg

And this scene still involves a guy who kidnapped someone a titular character loved. :oldrazz:
I meant in the permanent sense. The ol' "he killed my dad, mother, etc"
Neeson and Taken are here to stay forever.

I actually like the codenames scene in First Class. I thought it was very well-executed and entertaining.

The team-recruit scene is also very well-directed.

There is truth to this. They're awkward... but teenagers are awkward. I don't think it's amazing, but I think it plays well to the context of kids with powers being put together. A nice contrast from how serious everyone is in the Singer X-films.

I'm pretty sure all of them were in their early 20s except maybe Banshee

But it's whatever

Can Mystique be a teen? Charles meets her in 1944, and he is a legit professor in 1962. Beast has the kind of job that indicates he is at least in his 20s.

.... I think you're all right and I am wrong.

giphy.gif

Who cares if they're teenagers or not ? That scene works for me, no matter how old they are. It's just fun and entertaining.

Last edited:
Definitely agree on that. On a emotional level, it is clear what is going on and I think it works really well in that scene and the movie overall.

While we're on the topic of X-Men, part of me wonders if Dark Phoenix was delayed for reshoots to act as a sendoff of sorts for the series if it really is the last X-Men film from Fox before the rights go back to Marvel. Apart from New Mutants, I could see Fox squeezing out one more Deadpool movie before all is said and done.

While we're on the topic of X-Men, part of me wonders if Dark Phoenix was delayed for reshoots to act as a sendoff of sorts for the series if it really is the last X-Men film from Fox before the rights go back to Marvel. Apart from New Mutants, I could see Fox squeezing out one more Deadpool movie before all is said and done.

I've wondered that too. Maybe it ended on a cliffhanger and now they're trying to make it more final. Which if it was only half of the DP saga will be... interesting.

I suspect we will get X-Force still. That might be it though.

Honestly, after Logan, I kind of got the feeling that the X-franchise was starting to wind down outside of Deadpool, but that feels so removed from the rest of the franchise that I would almost exclude it if not for the blatant references and appearances of the X-Men in both films.

It's kind of weird that Dark Phoenix is the fourth in the series. We haven't gotten fourth parts in years in any superhero franchise.

Apocalypse always felt like a sleeper crash to me (that is, the opposite of a sleeper hit). Normally a film like that would destroy people's confidence in the studio, but the fact it came out between Deadpool and Logan kinda offset the bulk of the damage. It's not just that Deadpool and Logan were good, it's that they did something new with the genre. Without them there would be a lot more attention on Apocalypse's downfalls and the future of Dark Phoenix.

It's kind of weird that Dark Phoenix is the fourth in the series. We haven't gotten fourth parts in years in any superhero franchise.

Technically, DOFP is the sequel and forth movie in the original X-Men Series.

I'm genuinely still trying to think of a better execution of this.
As an action movie guy, I've seen countless "we must fight because you took someone I love" and so it was neat to get the opposite. I thought BvS didn't have the cutaway to the flashback scene, so glad it was there to jog the memory of the viewer and the character at the same time.

It really would have been simpler had they had Thomas Wayne say "Save your mom" and Supes says "Save My Mom"... The flashbacks and the co-ordinates could have been established easily and even if the scene did not work for some people, it would have at least not led to the memefest.

Technically, DOFP is the sequel and forth movie in the original X-Men Series.

If you really want to get down to it, not counting the Wolverine or Deadpool films, Dark Phoenix is the 7th X-Men movie. The events of The Last Stand may have been erased from the continuity, but it still exists.

It really would have been simpler had they had Thomas Wayne say "Save your mom" and Supes says "Save My Mom"... The flashbacks and the co-ordinates could have been established easily and even if the scene did not work for some people, it would have at least not led to the memefest.

The issue with that would be his dad asking his little kid to save his mom and somehow feels even more on the nose because of that.

The action scenes in the animated adaptation were way too long, which is characteristic of the DCAU in general.

Yeah. And Batman becoming the Hulk in the finale certainly didn't help. But overall I like the adaptation as a cliff notes version of The Dark Knight Returns and Christopher Drake's score is absolutely fantastic.

The issue with that would be his dad asking his little kid to save his mom and somehow feels even more on the nose because of that.

Come on, how can you with a straight face say that it meant something else when he said "Save Martha". There just is no conceivable way it could be worse than what was in the film really. And really, it also hints at the desperation of the dad at least trying to ensure a) his wife is saved and b) his son does not become an orphan.

Well, with Ms. Marvel being planned, I do hope they have learned the lesson of Black Panther, in terms of the creative team...

Infinity War is now the highest grossing CBM of all time.

I've wondered that too. Maybe it ended on a cliffhanger and now they're trying to make it more final. Which if it was only half of the DP saga will be... interesting.

I suspect we will get X-Force still. That might be it though.

That might work out for the best if that was the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"