Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - Part 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither company getting FOX is good imo

I think we can all agree with that regardless of what IP ends up where, but you were one of the people I saw who said they preferred Comcast. Do you still think that?

Did I? I think I said neither are good even back then

I think the only thing I said was that Disney getting FOX gives them more real estate in the film world But then someone pointed out that Comcast owns Universal, but still Disney getting FOX would give them Avatar, Simpsons and other huge properties when they already have the top 2 grossing film franchises of all time (and more than that if you include Pixar or Disney Animation as franchises).

Again the only thing I have against Disney from a fanboy perspective really is I don't want the X-Men to by MCU-ified. I don't want to miss things like Deadpool and Logan. I dont want all my SH movies to be the same meal with different seasoning.

And for people talking about how Comcast is a bad company, trust me it is, but let's also not forget Disney/Disney subsidiaries support of SOPA, multiple human rights violation accusations and stuff like this:
-Disney blocks LA Times from movie screenings over story
-Here’s Why ABC Shelved ‘Black-ish’ Episode On NFL Anthem Protests
And then ABC/Disney allowed racist ass Roseanne on the air

All these companies have their corruptions but Im just pointing out Disney's since I've seen multiple people point out Comcast's in different threads

But I have no beef with Disney or any shine to Comcast. I really have no dog in this fight. From what I can tell my life wont change whoever acquires it at least from what I can tell so far.

EDIT: Now if Disney was also acquiring all of FOX's sports channels as well as their films I'd be fully against it

Last edited:
Personally, I think Comcast is a better home for Fox, because they are less likely to strip-mine the studio in the way I suspect (no real evidence) that Disney will over the course of a few years. While Disney just wants the IPs and back catalogue, I suspect Comcast would allow most of the studio to remain relatively independent and reap the profits.

Regarding fanboy culture, this is bad news of course. But there I'm on the fence. I'm less and less optimistic about Fox's mainline X-Men films (I really want Dark Phoenix to work to prove the cynics wrong, but... that delay, man). And while I love what they're doing with Deadpool and X-Force, and Logan... the Fantastic Four should be at Marvel.

At the end of the day, I'd like to see the dice rolled Comcast's way, however that is just a personal preference. Who knows what the Fox shareholders will vote on, although I suspect they will continue to support the Disney deal given that is the Board of Directors' preference. At least until Comcast backs the money truck up.

Not sure about everything else, but I am 100% confident that Disney will at least obtain Fox’s marvel properties

Not a single worry

Not sure why you think that. If Comcast succeeds at getting Fox, which I still think is a lot less likely than the Disney-Fox deal, why would Comcast give Disney those IPs? Comcast's Universal Pictures has no superhero franchises and has struggled producing a long-lasting IP factory like Marvel, failing to do so with The Mummy for starters. Why would they give Disney and Marvel more IP to dominate the marketshare with? Especially if they think they can use that IP to their advantage.

Last edited:
I'm fed up with WB/DC, Star Wars, internet fandoms, and the lack of original IPs. I'm thinking of checking out.

I am not thinking about checking out, but I do agree fan culture seems to be getting smaller even though these movies' budgets and popularity (in theory) is only growing. This obsession with only strip-mining preexisting IP is starting to suffocate fandom as much as it is creativity at the studios.

Personally, I think Comcast is a better home for Fox, because they are less likely to strip-mine the studio in the way I suspect (no real evidence) that Disney will over the course of a few years. While Disney just wants the IPs and back catalogue, I suspect Comcast would allow most of the studio to remain relatively independent and reap the profits.

Regarding fanboy culture, this is bad news of course. But there I'm on the fence. I'm less and less optimistic about Fox's mainline X-Men films (I really want Dark Phoenix to work to prove the cynics wrong, but... that delay, man). And while I love what they're doing with Deadpool and X-Force, and Logan... the Fantastic Four should be at Marvel.

Same. I also feel the same way with New Mutants.

Especially New Mutants I hope it'll be good I just have little faith

I mentioned this in the Keep Hope Alive Thread, but I don't actually care much if X-Men and FF come to the MCU. Honestly, I'd be more than willing to trade both for Spider-Man being in the clear away from Sony. I just want them handled properly, whether it be at Fox or Disney or Universal. The two things that I really think need to happen are that Simon Kinberg gets fired and no longer has anything to do with any of these films and that the X-Men (minus Deadpool) are rebooted. The latter is just because the continuity is such a convoluted mess that it is really the only way to fix it. The former is a big problem because by this point we have enough evidence that the films that Kinberg is more deeply involved with usually end up being much worse than those that he isn't. It isn't 100% true, but when he has little to do with Deadpool, Logan, and First Class and his fingerprints are all over The Last Stand, Fant4stic, and Apocalypse there is a clear pattern there. Kinberg needs to go, period. Dark Phoenix would have to be truly amazing for me to change my mind on that. If Universal does those things and proceeds to make good films like Deadpool and not like Fant4stic, then I'll be perfectly content in that regard.

My issues with Comcast in general are more of a big picture issue than just what happens with the Marvel rights. Blackman is right that Disney does some scummy things too like bullying theaters and treating employees like slaves, but the difference is that Disney generally doesn't actively try to screw over its customers the way Comcast does. And as a customer, that's what matters most to me.

Last edited:
I am not thinking about checking out, but I do agree fan culture seems to be getting smaller even though these movies' budgets and popularity (in theory) is only growing. This obsession with only strip-mining preexisting IP is starting to suffocate fandom as much as it is creativity at the studios.

To be fair, it isn't like there have been no attempts even in recent years to establish new IPs. They just almost always fail or nobody goes to see them.

It's not getting smaller just because traditional forums are a lot less active.

I mentioned this in the Keep Hope Alive Thread, but I don't actually care much if X-Men and FF come to the MCU. Honestly, I'd be more than willing to trade both for Spider-Man being in the clear away from Sony. I just want them handled properly, whether it be at Fox or Disney or Universal. The two things that I really think need to happen are that Simon Kinberg gets fired and no longer has anything to do with any of these films and that the X-Men (minus Deadpool) are rebooted. The latter is just because the continuity is such a convoluted mess that it is really the only way to fix it. The former is a big problem because by this point we have enough evidence that the films that Kinberg is more deeply involved with usually end up being much worse than those that he isn't. It is 100% true, but when he has little to do with Deadpool, Logan, and First Class and his fingerprints are all over The Last Stand, Fant4stic, and Apocalypse there is a clear pattern there. Kinberg needs to go, period. Dark Phoenix would have to be truly amazing for me to change my mind on that. If Universal does those things and proceeds to make good films like Deadpool and not like Fant4stic, then I'll be perfectly content in that regard.

My issues with Comcast in general are more of a big picture issue than just what happens with the Marvel rights. Blackman is right that Disney does some scummy things too like bullying theaters and treating employees like slaves, but the difference is that Disney generally doesn't actively try to screw over its customers the way Comcast does. And as a customer, that's what matters most to me.

I agree with most of this, save for a reboot (unless Dark Phoenix burns everything to the ground). Continuity is overrated. Logan and the Deadpool films prove that. I would be fine with continuing from Deadpool and ignoring the rest though, or vice versa... but yes keep Kinberg away.

As for Comcast, I do worry about them having a larger market share. But same as Disney. However, from a film industry perspective, I don't think they'd handle Fox all that differently than Universal. And Universal has an autonomy to make their own film slates. Mind you they don't do it as well as Fox and Fox Searchlight, but that is because I think the execs have been better at Fox since 2011 or so, and able to attract really good filmmakers, especially on the Searchlight side.

Disney on the other hand micromanages all of their studios and subsidiaries and has historically gutted their non-IP, non-four-quadrant focused aspects of their portfolio by slowly letting Touchstone fade out, spinning off Miramax, and parting ways with the Steven Spielberg side of DreamWorks, including by treating Bridge of Spies as an afterthought.

The idea of that kind of brand-focused strategy dictating the future of Fox Searchlight and co. is quite troubling. Comcast terrifies me in regards to Net Neutrality, but their management of Universal shows a greater openness to risk taking than Disney's treatment of... everything.

It's not getting smaller just because traditional forums are a lot less active.

I mean in the sense where we're really almost exclusively talking about franchises or popular characters from pre-established brands: Marvel, DC, Star Wars, live-action Disney remakes, Lord of the Rings. The studios are just so focused on franchises or "shared universes" that they're not creating anything new. That means fans are left seeing their favorite franchises getting milked until they reach diminished returns for fans like TLJ and Solo (which I liked), or The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, X-Men: Apocalypse, etc... which meh.

I'm fed up with WB/DC, Star Wars, internet fandoms, and the lack of original IPs. I'm thinking of checking out.
I'm not fed up with this stuff, I just don't pay attention to any potential original IP.

Just wanted to say I'm loving the 1984 influence (Orwell, not the year) on that first image of Wonder Woman 2. Or now Wonder Woman 1984. If the actual movie is Orwellian, count me as someone excited to see a superhero movie doing something outside the box.

I mean in the sense where we're really almost exclusively talking about franchises or popular characters from pre-established brands: Marvel, DC, Star Wars, live-action Disney remakes, Lord of the Rings. The studios are just so focused on franchises or "shared universes" that they're not creating anything new. That means fans are left seeing their favorite franchises getting milked until they reach diminished returns for fans like TLJ and Solo (which I liked), or The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, X-Men: Apocalypse, etc... which meh.

The risk of making original properties vs sequels and films based on existing popular material is unfortunately high. The situation described by your post is down to both fans and the GA together not rewarding/punishing studios when they have tried new things. For those who want this to change they have to vote with their wallets and time and go and see the films they want to see made, and otherwise promote that material as much as possible.

I used to act like a regular GA guy and end up seeing whatever my group or the person I was with at the time wanted to see (often they'd seen a film I wanted to see already or planned to see it at a future date and so not right now). That way I ended up seeing (and by extension supporting) Cherry Falls twice and missing out on Gladiator altogether in the cinema. From then on I decided to first see the films I want outside of the influences of other people, and then see whatever they want on top. Now I see films I want to support multiple times and also try and raise awareness and excitement for them outside of that.

Just wanted to say I'm loving the 1984 influence (Orwell, not the year) on that first image of Wonder Woman 2. Or now Wonder Woman 1984. If the actual movie is Orwellian, count me as someone excited to see a superhero movie doing something outside the box.

I love how the film is apparently taking the Snyder continuity, squeezing it tight until it's a crumpled ball of paper and throwing a hoop with it straight into the dustbin. It's off to A great start.

I love how the film is apparently taking the Snyder continuity, squeezing it tight until it's a crumpled ball of paper and throwing a hoop with it straight into the dustbin. It's off to A great start.
:applaud

So Comcast has outbid Disney for Fox. $65 billion cash offer.

And Disney has 5 days to counter with a bigger cash offer, something a few experts in the field say will probably happen

This is a direct result of nerd culture going "mainstream." Back when this stuff was niche at best, studios weren't throwing as much money at these adaptations, and had more to spread around to other niche properties. But now that Joe Public has embraced the superhero genre and certain other franchises and they know that's where the big money is, there's less to go around. The plus side is that we get to be out-and-proud about our genre nerddom without worrying about ridicule, and our genre faves get the big-budget, respectful treatment we formerly could only dream of; the downside is that there's less variety of things being put out there to nerd out about. Not a terrible trade-off, imo, but a bit bittersweet.

Eventually people will ask for something different. Nothing lasts forever.

I think in general people are going to theaters less and less for reasons such as cost and other entertainment options. So when they do go, they want something safe and familiar. Ultimately riskier stuff may have to find a home on places like Netflix and Amazon Prime where people are more willing to give it a chance due to not requiring as much of a financial and time investment for the viewer.

And Disney has 5 days to counter with a bigger cash offer, something a few experts in the field say will probably happen

Disney should "Price is Right" this sucker! Bid 65 million + $0.01

Honestly, it wouldn't be the end of the world if Comcast has Fox.

Im telling you beautiful people that there's no way that Disney is gonna get outbid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"