Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 52

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Well-Known Member

I actually don't recall any obvious and blatant continuity snarls in Logan.

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I don't think DoFP and Logan really marry together. Logan states there hadn't been a new mutant since the mid-2000s. DoFP's ending took place way after that, and it didn't seem like mutants were dying out or anything there.

But it doesn't bother me like at all. Logan is a genius film. I looked at it as sort of an elseworlds story.

3. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

Different actor playing Caliban than X-Men: Apocalypse, Richard E. Grant's father being the one to put "this ****" into Logan's skeleton (as opposed to Stryker), the fact that it claims no mutants have been born in 20 years and it being set in 2029 when we see lots of young mutants going to school at the end of Days of Future Past, plus the young mutants in Deadpool if you want to count those as part of the universe (and I tend to given the overlaps and how it is clearly affected by post-DOFP events).

They are little things. But they really don't matter. Logan is a great movie. I could care less if it and Deadpool 2, which is quite an enjoyable little movie in its own right, contradict each other, when they are both incredibly different and refreshing for this genre.

4. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

He has adamantium claws, and a deleted scene mentions him stabbing Jean moment from the Last Stand.

5. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

The thing is though, as DOFP changed the timeline, Grants characters Dad could have had a hand in putting the adamantium in Logan. He may have been part of the Weapon X programme as we don't see Logan going through the procedure in the new timeline. So that one didn't bother me.

6. Erzengel

Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Those are very little things.

In terms of WW and BvS, if you ask Snyder fans, WW doesn't contradict as "Diana worked in the shadows."

I don't mind minor issues and I get the whole, doing your own thing so you aren't boxed in, but personally you can't have the same character popping up in multiple movies and being drastically different.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  7. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I took that one as him being a part of the team or something like that. It can be explained. Most of these things can be explained by the timeline changing. A casting change isn't a continuity issue at all. The no new mutants in 20 years is an issue, but a real minor one since there was just the one scene at the end of DOFP.

Basically these are all minor things, like "8 years later" in Spider-Man HC. I'm talking about major continuity issues. In particular, the decision to put all of the X-Men decades into the past creates a real problem going forward when they want films in the present. So you end up with a very obviously not middle-aged Havoc in Apocalypse and Quicksilver being the same teenager in his mother's basement that he was a decade earlier in the same film, and it ends up being completely not believable.

8. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Yeah can’t really argue with any of this. Personally I wanted the follow up to Apocalypse to take place 1 or 2 years after and I wanted them to do a quieter story, like Proteus, rather than jumping another 10 years forward and going straight into DPS again.

9. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Well-Known Member

How do y’all feel about the Aquaman pics (I’d post them myself, but I’m at work)?

IMO: Mera and Atlanna look fine (though I wouldn’t have gone with white for the latter’s color scheme); Black Manta’s helmet - assuming that’s the one he’ll wear for most of the film, which I doubt - looks ******; and I really would’ve liked another glimpse at Aquaman’s costume, because I’m over seeing Jason Momoa in skintight leather.

10. Erzengel

Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'll be honest, Aquaman has always been my least favorite Justice League member. After Batman, Superman, WW, Martian Manhunter, GL (Rayner, Stewart or Jordan), Flash (West or Allen), even Plastic Man, I still would put Aquaman at the bottom. So it's hard for me to get excited for an Aquaman movie. Who knows maybe Wan and do what Transformers did for Bumblebee, MCU did for a lot of their B and C list characters.

11. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Well, I'm just mostly looking at how they've handled the Big Three in their respective stories.

Seemed like Superman was hated but then it seems like he was beloved. He was supposed to be a first-contact story but we learn that aliens and all these super powered people were around way before that.

Batman was supposed to be like an urban legend but not at the same time. And then he's some crazy dude trying to kill Superman and now he wants to revive him. Dick is mostly likely dead but then we might being getting a Nightwing film anyway.

Wonder Woman left Man's World after the horrors on WWI but then she kinda didn't by staying in the shadows or whatever. Her boyfriend died but now he's back.

And who knows what else the other DC films will tell us about the history of their universe (based on whatever the writers and directors feel like doing)?

12. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

The new Aquaman pics don't particularly wet my whistle but nothing from EW ever does.

13. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

But all those things are still true.

He did sacrifice himself. His life was on the line. There was emotional fallout from his death.

I don't see how it undermines anything. In the moment, when the chips were down, he chose to sacrifice himself. It's not like he knew he'd be magically pulled into the 1980's when he chose to sacrifice himself.

14. Spider-Fan

I will see how Steve being in the movie plays out. Without context, I don't have an opinion. I am open to the idea of Steve being used by the gods for some purpose against Diana. But if he is just alive because reasons, yeah it is dumb.

15. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Agreed. It could go either way at this point.

16. Ninjablade

Ninjablade Jumping From Planes

This is how I'm feeling about it. I have no particular interest in this movie and the new photos aren't really swinging me any way. Maybe a trailer will change that, not sure.

Not a fan of Mamoa though, so I don't think I'll ever fully get behind this character.

17. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It doesn’t undermine what he did at all. He’s as much a hero and great character as ever. It just undermines the audience’s belief that a death will stay permanent. Next time they see WW lose someone close to her or even just be at the the threat of doing so, they aren’t going to trust it fully and that moment will be robbed of its impact. Even rewatching WW takes away the impact of his death if we know he comes back. It makes creating the illusion of stakes much harder when you created them well first time round, delivered on that, but now want to go back on it.

18. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

It's like making Peggy young again so Cap can catch up with what he had to sacrifice for good of others.

We will see how they handle his return, assuming it's not trickery.

19. Spider-Fan

Until proven otherwise, I am betting it is trickery.

20. Boy Scout

Yeah, I think there’ll be some sort of twist. If they were just bringing him back, no strings attached, they would’ve kept it a secret.

21. OutOfBoose

I think they had no choice not to reveal him because ninja set photos appeared on the next day.

22. Boy Scout

I’m sure they would’ve been more than capable of hiding him if they’d really wanted to.

23. OutOfBoose

Only if they film entirely on a closed stage. They didn't hide Talia in TDKR and every fan knew what was coming a year before the release.

24. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

I'm still not hyped for Aquaman, which is wrong on so many levels.

25. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

My guess is tomfoolery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.