Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 53

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batfreakforever

batfreakforever A real fan

Doesn't matter. His opinions don't fall inline with Disney's family friendly attitude. He obviously isn't a smart person otherwise he wouldn't have posted those things for the entire world to see. What an idiot.

2. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

The problem is this is now the 2nd time he's had to apologize for bad social media behavior. First one was for blog and FB posts that were raunchy, homophobic, and misogynistic. Now he's getting dinged for his tweets about rape, pedophilia, and several other topics. Back in 2012 when he issued his first apology, the climate was vastly different than now and he didn't really face the pressure of needing to be fired. But with today's more hypersensitive social and political climate, this latest round of bad, tasteless jokes isn't going to fly and Disney didn't want to have to deal with another round of bad press, especially after the Roseanne Barr situation and the whole #MeToo movement running rampant throughout Hollywood. It's hard to feel too much sympathy for someone who had every opportunity to clean up their past and didn't but then decided to throw bricks at others' poor behavior. For someone with his fame and recognition, he should really have known that his past social media comments would find the light of day again if people dug hard enough.

3. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

:up:

4. jmc

jmc away for a while

He made his first apology about this prior to being hired for Marvel. Disney didn't do **** back then about it. The only reason the situation has changed is because the standards now being asked of people have been altered to the point where no matter what attempt you've made to change as a person, no matter how long ago it was, not matter what the context is, it's not good enough anymore. As bad as his attempt to be edgy was the fact that he acknowledged it publicly 6 years ago and attempted to change should be more than enough for him to have been forgiven. The problem is the bar has been set so high for people to fit into what's considered acceptable behaviour the alt-right trolls only have to do a little research to weaponise it and cost someone there livelihood. In their minds their only applying the same standards that are being used on people who they like. Who the hell wants to live in a society with this kind of pressure? Where one minor laps in judgement or a mistake can cost you every thing? Telling unfunny edgy jokes isn't the same as murdering someone, we have to have a conversation about when to actually forgive people because this kinda of behaviour will do nothing but ruin people who are genuinely trying to make themselves a better person.

5. Webfoot Hero

How hard is to behave on social media and not be a d-bag? The bar is not all that high as it's pretty dang easy not to tell racist, homophobic, pedophilic, and/or downright creepy jokes that can easily be taken the wrong way if not given proper context. He lacked discipline in not stopping himself from typing every random, stupid thought in his mind. Gunn had every chance the past 6-10 years to clean up his social media accounts and yet he didn't. The fact they were found by alt-right trolls means nothing since they could just as have been anyone else with an ax to grind or a point to be made against him, Disney/Marvel, or Hollywood people in general.

6. jmc

jmc away for a while

Twitter is nothing but people writing their stupid, illogical, idiotic thoughts online without context. What you're basically saying is that people should be hyper aware of everything they are saying, which is an impossible standard to put on yourself. But, you're forgetting - he apologised years ago. When do you start accepting someone's apology? What's enough for you to give someone a second chance?

7. Webfoot Hero

Actually Twitter isn't a complete cesspool like you think. People can be thoughtful, smart, and careful with their tweets pretty easily and not run afoul of anyone. It's all about having a certain amount of discipline and common sense while posting online, which is something I strive for when posting on my various social media accounts. I follow plenty of people like that as well and they aren't in danger of getting canned from their jobs or facing other real-life consequences. Gunn went the route of being a complete moron with how he tweeted and now he's paying the consequences for that carelessness.

8. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

Almost 10 years old, and Sabertooth never followed with his promise of revenge.

He's not an honest brother.

9. jmc

jmc away for a while

Disney knew about it before hand as he apologised for it years ago. Does this not matter to you? Or do you just prefer to throw people to the wolves regardless?

10. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

Here’s the thing though:

We’re not just talking about an isolated incident, or just a few stupid tweets done by someone trying be a Twitter edgelord.

I’ve forced myself to look at as many of his tweets as possible, to make sure I’m well informed about the situation. And we are talking about multiple tweets, posted over an extended period of time. None of which were taken down by Gunn in the intervening years.

If he had just posted a few tweets I’d completely agree with you, but I struggle to criticise Disney, when we’re talking about an extended period of vile and hateful tweets that Gunn has never removed. It betrays a deep-seated mentality in someone that I find deeply unpleasant.

And it’s not like he was young and stupid. He posted these things in his forties.

11. Webfoot Hero

12. jmc

jmc away for a while

Why shouldn't Disney be criticised also? They hired him knowing full well the type of person they were hiring.

13. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

Actually, that’s a more than fair point. You’re right. If they knew about it all, then they are as culpable for this mess as him.

14. AlluAllu

AlluAllu Well-Known Member

James Gunn was pretty much an internet troll who used his own name.

But anyway, I felt that his statement was pretty mature.

(My emphasis.)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  15. divan

divan Well-Known Member

Stupidity can come at any age, developing as a person can come at any age. We're talking about a guy with an already flawed personality whose professional envioroment did nothing but enforce his most negative characteristics, who also made those tweets in a time where "being provocative" was, dare I say, encouraged in the kind of work he was being hired.

It's creating a strawman Gunn that arguably doesn't exist anymore to attack instead of looking at the root of the problem, and ignore whether someone can develop beyond a series of flaws that, unless we get new info, never went beyond what's a tiny fraction of a digital, non-real sphere.

16. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

I don't get the "it was 10 years ago" argument. Like some of y'all know the past can haunt you right?

17. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

All I would ask of those who think Gunn’s firing is too harsh would be to think about how differently they’d feel about the situation if it wasn’t regarding somebody whose movies they like.

18. AlluAllu

AlluAllu Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I would probably be harsher or more indifferent on some director that I wasn't familiar with. Enjoying Guardians movies and seeing Gunn regularly interact with his fans led me to follow his social media. I've done that for couple of years, and based on what I have seen, I think he is a great guy. That's why it feels so bad that he is paying for his past stupidity in such way, when he has already learned from it.

Having slept on it, I can understand Disney's decision better, but I still think that he shouldn't have been fired.

19. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Again, the most surprising thing to me in all of this is that those tweets were left up for the world to see all these years later.

20. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight Uncle Ben's top boy

I don't like his films and I still think it's justified.

21. jmc

jmc away for a while

That's under the assumption the arguments are being made under those circumstances. I can't speak for anyone else but I think Guardians are fine as movies but I've only watched them once. I wouldn't call myself a fan of his work in the slightest.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  22. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

I think that Gunn's GOTG films were ok-to-good personally, though I understand the firing.

Moreover, I don't actually believe that he's genuinely changed. He continues to display a lot of problematic behaviour. Some of the jokes in GoTG are mean-spirited (I can't say the same of Thor 3), he acts self-important on Twitter, and he had that revolting dispute with Nicole Perlman.

It is the case in general however that a lot of people are defending him because they like his movies. Let's be honest, we wouldn't see this level of apologia if it were Zack Snyder who had written bad tweets 10 years ago.

23. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

Whatever. What's done is done.

24. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

It is fair to discuss the past.

25. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the GOTG films, but he had to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.