Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got a severe case of floating heads and bodies.

Hardy's acting was bad, too. What the bad place kind of accent was he doing as Brock? Venom's dialogue was hard to understand. Not that I expect he had anything memorable to say. Its Venom.

It's really not. Looks good in most shots.

It really is. Looks bad in most shots.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the CG in the movie. Honestly, it's no worse than Tom Holland's floating head in IW (or RDJs for like, the last several movies).

Which is absolutely fine, as it’s not like The Dark Knight Returns is an elseworlds take on the character, who isn’t meant to represent the mainstream image of him, or anything like that.

To be fair, DKR is arguably the most influential Batman comic ever written, at least in how it the way the character has been portrayed and received in the decades since. The problem with BVS is that Snyder didn't *get* DKR, and used his Superman sequel as an excuse to awkwardly retrofit his dream project where it was not warranted.

I'm underwhelmed by the trailer, too, but even more underwhelmed by the endless "all CGI looks bad" complaints.

Truth is truth, underwhelming or not.

The inevitable "You guys hate it because its not part of the MCU" accusations have started to come in now in the Venom forum.

I just don't see how the CG in Venom looks any worse, than say the fight between Black Panther and Killmonger on the vibranium track. Only difference is Venom cost less money to make, so it has more excuses on that front.

Post comparison shots for clarification, because I'm not seeing what you're talking about.

All of this sounds like it could be interesting. Instead we get a generic looking superhero movie where the superhero is just gross.

"The world has enough superheroes" would imply that he is some kind of...Lethal protector.

Post comparison shots for clarification, because I'm not seeing what you're talking about.

I am at work, so I cannot. But look up the final fight in Black Panther and watch Killmonger and T'Challa fighting. The CGI is awful. They look fake, and their suits look even faker as the trains pass by and parts disappear when those mine trains pass by.

Venom had a smaller budget than your standard MCU film by most accounts I have seen. Venom I never expected to look as good as Thanos did.

I am at work, so I cannot. But look up the final fight in Black Panther and watch Killmonger and T'Challa fighting. The CGI is awful. They look fake, and their suits look even faker as the trains pass by and parts disappear when those mine trains pass by.

Venom had a smaller budget than your standard MCU film by most accounts I have seen. Venom I never expected to look as good as Thanos did.

I've seen the final fight in BP several times. That's why I was asking for clarification comparison shots because I don't think its remotely as bad as that.

Venom having a smaller budget doesn't change the end result. You're just offering a reason why it looks poor. I never expected Thanos level quality either. But this being a Venom spin off, I expected better than what they showed.

I've seen the final fight in BP several times. That's why I was asking for clarification because I don't think its remotely as bad as that.

Venom having a smaller budget doesn't change the end result. You're just offering a reason why it looks poor. I never expected Thanos level quality either. But this being a Venom spin off, I expected better than what they showed.

Difference of opinion I guess. I love BP, but that is one example where the CG looked pretty bad. Another being when T'Challa tackles the Rhino. My point is Black Panther had a like, 200 mil budget and still had meh CG overall. This had even less money and more intricate effects work required on Venom himself than say T'Challa's costume. So I think the effects work looks fine, especially given the level of ambition the movie is going for.

In hindsight it actually makes sense now on why they held off on showing Venom's look for so long. Even omitting footage of him from the first trailer.

The Panther on Panther final battle was roundly panned when it was released as a clip due to the fact that neither of them appeared to be following the laws of gravity. It actually had me concerned. But the film made up for it in many ways, and the inter-cutting between the shaky train sequence and the excellent above ground battle (CGI Rhinos included) lessened the impact considerably.

Black Panther was good enough to overcome the somewhat dodgy CGI in Korea and in the final battle. I'm thinking Venom won't be.

"The world has enough superheroes" would imply that he is some kind of...Lethal protector.

Yeah, but he still is clearly going to be a superhero. Or something more... that's it, huh, we're some kind of Venom?

I just don't see how the CG in Venom looks any worse, than say the fight between Black Panther and Killmonger on the vibranium track. Only difference is Venom cost less money to make, so it has more excuses on that front.

Black Panther had very shoddy CGI. If the rest of the movie, or at least most of it, wasn't so good, it'd be more picked at. I think the problem with the Venom trailer is it all looks relentlessly average, and then the CGI is even less so.

Venom just about looks goofy enough to hold my attention one night on Netflix in three years time.

I get that Spider-man 3 had a much higher budget but the symbiote goop itself looked so much more convincing in 2007 than it does in this newest trailer.

Black Panther had very shoddy CGI. If the rest of the movie, or at least most of it, wasn't so good, it'd be more picked at. I think the problem with the Venom trailer is it all looks relentlessly average, and then the CGI is even less so.

I agree that lack of perceived quality makes you less forgiving of faults. My points is just that I have seen many large budget blockbusters with CG of equal quality. Some that I think have less excuses due to their budget size vs Venom's budget. I don't think this movie looks amazing, either. It looks like the movie will have a generic plot, villain, and its ultimate quality will entirely hinge on how entertaining Venom himself as a character ends up being. I'm just saying I don't think the effects are so bad it needs harped on that much.

I get that Spider-man 3 had a much higher budget but the symbiote goop itself looked so much more convincing in 2007 than it does in this newest trailer.

Spider-Man 3 was also like, the most expensive Spidey film ever. Money helps. A lot. Like, a lot.

I think part of that is just design. I think they are going for a more liquid look, compared to the more goopy stuff Raimi was going for. Which also is probably why the symbiotes have that shiny glean to them, that I think many mistake for bad CGI, since they are going for a more liquid, T-1000 look.

This movie seems to exist because Venom looks cool, and even then Venom here looks less cool than in comics.

This has been a pet project of Avi Arad who famously cares more about selling toys than he does making movies.

I think it'll be PG-13, but you never know. They might surprise me.
Probably will be, they’ll be banking on the younger audience market that think Venom is cool.

Spider-Man 3 was also like, the most expensive Spidey film ever. Money helps. A lot. Like, a lot.
Not even just Spider-Man, it’s one of the most of expensive movies ever made period. 11 unadjusted, 6 adjusted.

I agree that lack of perceived quality makes you less forgiving of faults. My points is just that I have seen many large budget blockbusters with CG of equal quality. Some that I think have less excuses due to their budget size vs Venom's budget. I don't think this movie looks amazing, either. It looks like the movie will have a generic plot, villain, and its ultimate quality will entirely hinge on how entertaining Venom himself as a character ends up being. I'm just saying I don't think the effects are so bad it needs harped on that much.

Yeah. As I said in another thread, the CGI battle at the end of Black Panther looked incredibly cartoonish. The CGI fight at the end of Wonder Woman also didn't look great. But those were good movies. Shaky CGI isn't the deciding factor in what makes or breaks a superhero film unless it's laugh-out-loud bad like Hugh Jackman's Roger Rabbit claws in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. And even then, that movie would have sucked regardless of the effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"