Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder Woman also had BvS to build off of, so people had a general idea of her character from that. I don't think Wonder Woman's marketing did anymore than Captain Marvel's marketing. I think fan reaction to BvS did more for it in that regard.

I liked the footage we saw in the latest trailer. It looks like watching her and Fury will be fun. They have playful chemistry in the clips from the trailer.

Diana is completely different in her own movie. Like, night and day different.

Diana is completely different in her own movie. Like, night and day different.

You couldn't tell that from the trailers, though. She looked bland in the marketing, but worked better in the movie.

I think fundamentally, in regards to WW comparative reaction or expectation of audience reaction, WW is so much more well known to the GA than CM and some 'comic fans' as well so there's a bigger hill to climb for her but based on the trailers I just think we'll see a 'lesser' success than the MCU are used too by now.

I think fundamentally, in regards to WW comparative reaction or expectation of audience reaction, WW is so much more well known to the GA than CM and some 'comic fans' as well so there's a bigger hill to climb for her but based on the trailers I just think we'll see a 'lesser' success than the MCU are used too by now.

Judging by how reports on tickets sales are going, this movie is going to be a big hit. Lots of reports of theater sell outs already for opening night, and the movie is 2 months away.

Judging by how reports on tickets sales are going, this movie is going to be a big hit. Lots of reports of theater sell outs already for opening night, and the movie is 2 months away.

That's good then for it if that's the case.

People are retroactively painting Wonder Woman's trailers in a better light. There was a lot of concern, warranted might I add, that Gal had no idea how to act and the trailers were hiding her performance behind some pretty bland snippets of footage.

I have some concerns about Captain Marvel, but if I gave the benefit of the doubt to Momoa and Gadot then I'm definitely going to give the same to a movie helmed by an Academy-award winning actress from the studio that famously nails it's central casting every single time.

Good to hear. There is going to be major hype building ahead of EG. I can’t believe within a few months both films will be out.

I enjoyed that special look of CM. It's clearly the best footage this far but it still feels like we're not being shown that much, which I'm all for. When it said "special look" I was afraid they would show us actual scenes, which is something I definitely don't want to see more of in marketing.

I’m judging Larson strictly based on what I’ve seen and heard from the footage that has been released. Comparisons to WW and preconceived notions aren’t a factor.

I doubt the film will be a financial dud (if Ant-Man can succeed, so can CM), but there is almost nothing appealing about this movie for me. Bland lead, generic sci-fi backdrop, an abundance of jokes that miss their mark...nah.

I’m judging Larson strictly based on what I’ve seen and heard from the footage that has been released. Comparisons to WW and preconceived notions aren’t a factor.

I doubt the film will be a financial dud (if Ant-Man can succeed, so can CM), but there is almost nothing appealing about this movie for me. Bland lead, generic sci-fi backdrop, an abundance of jokes that miss their mark...nah.
Which joke(s) missed their mark?

People are retroactively painting Wonder Woman's trailers in a better light. There was a lot of concern, warranted might I add, that Gal had no idea how to act and the trailers were hiding her performance behind some pretty bland snippets of footage.

I have some concerns about Captain Marvel, but if I gave the benefit of the doubt to Momoa and Gadot then I'm definitely going to give the same to a movie helmed by an Academy-award winning actress from the studio that famously nails it's central casting every single time.

Yeah, same here. I have to admit that Larson's line delivery in some parts of the trailers comes off a little flat to me but I'm not worried. She's a top tier talent and Marvel hasn't miscast anyone yet. They aren't going to F up their first female-led movie.

WW is much better known of course, but then even lesser known guys like Aquaman and Venom are doing big worldwide numbers without the support of the MCU. Venom didn’t even need a great film to achieve that. Domestically though there aren’t many solo characters who are going to get close to WW.

Thanos staring down Carol in the next Endgame trailer will add $25 mil to CM opening weekend

WW is much better known of course, but then even lesser known guys like Aquaman and Venom are doing big worldwide numbers without the support of the MCU. Venom didn’t even need a great film to achieve that. Domestically though there aren’t many solo characters who are going to get close to WW.

Not many, but some. Black Panther crushed Wonder Woman domestically. Almost $300 million more.

I think it will be successful too as all MCU films (aside from arguably TIH) have been. But wasn't this all true about Solo too? I remember reading reports at how strong Solo was looking leading up to release, and then all of a sudden it flopped. And much like the MCU, Star Wars had never had a failure (in live-action) before.

I think it will be successful too as all MCU films (aside from arguably TIH) have been. But wasn't this all true about Solo too? I remember reading reports at how strong Solo was looking leading up to release, and then all of a sudden it flopped. And much like the MCU, Star Wars had never had a failure (in live-action) before.

I will be honest, I didn't follow Solo closely in regards to reported ticket sales. I only tracked it's OW projections, and those were always sinking further and further.

I'm sure Captain Marvel will make money, I won't be contributing to it though. I don't fancy it a all and I'm sorry but Brie Larsson just doesn't engage me at all, her delivery is bad IMO. She looks bored.

Hopefully when I catch it in Sky TV (probably later in the Year) the film will surprise me and I'll enjoy it.

Not many, but some. Black Panther crushed Wonder Woman domestically. Almost $300 million more.
Yeah. A decent target for solo MCU films going forward (at least ones with a higher profile than Ant Man) I would say is $300m domestic.

Yeah, no one was predicting it to go as low as it did. Same applies for JL. Even the guys who wanted it to do badly were predicting higher opening weekends and final grosses than we eventually got.

tumblr_pl0xygUVkv1tctq75o3_540.gif

2012 really blew the doors off the genre after Avengers and TDKR.

The average domestic & worldwide total for a CBM between Blade and Ghost Rider (Last CBM prior to Avengers) was approximately $143M & $290M and that's only counting mainstream movies and your typical V for Vendetta, 300, etc.) Over 40+ movies in there, including the Raimi Spider-Man movies, TDK, Iron Man.

Afterwards, it's now averaging $272M domestic and $735M WW. Again about 40 movies from Avengers - Aquaman.

Solo had a lot of bad juju before release that was waved away by analysts due to the Star Wars brand and the fact that Lucasfilm managed to pull Rogue One out of free fall. But the film was saddled with well publicized behind the scenes turmoil leading to the loss of its very popular directorial team, the recast of one of the biggest character-actor pairings in film history, uncomfortable proximity to both Episode 8 and Infinity War, and the fact that the film was a prequel. The signs were definitely there for a BO underperformance.

I haven't been loving the CM trailers, although the last one was streets ahead of the prior two, But I think it will continue the MCU winning streak even if it garners tepid reviews. The one I am concerned with is the Black Widow solo, especially if it is a prequel as has been rumored. Age of Ultron gave us all we need to see of Natasha's ballerina days.

Seems like one of the directors of Into the Spider-verse (Peter Ramsey) has made the Snyderites mad by tweeting something negative about BvS...

...in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"