Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve yet to see a Spiderman moment on film that tops the train sequence from SM 2. And not just the exhilerating action in the sequence itself, but the powerful moment following it where an unmasked, unconscious Peter is being held by New Yorkers who realize that this “masked menace” is just a young selfless kid who risked his life to save them. To me, that sequence and scene epitomizes everything Spiderman is about.

Couldn’t agree with you more, I watched the movie again the other night and that whole sequence still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Just amazing stuff and as you say it epitomises everything the character is about.

I'm not going to lie, I was over Spider-man before he got rebooted into the mcu and I know that a lot of general audience felt likewise. I know I'm in the minority, but if Sony takes him back I'll miss him for a while but will get over him. F4, Xmen and other obscure characters will be getting their own franchise soon so Sony can have him back, I'll just go back to not caring. Till date, I've not watched the amazing spiderman movies and from what most fans say about the films, I'm not missing much. Spiderman 1 and 2 were great but I just don't feel there's more story to tell. Its always the same thing; he fights the villain and fawns over mj or whatever love interest he has in the movie. At least in the MCU we see him get to play with other heroes. I want him to get three trilogy like someone said, but if we don't get it I'm not going to be broken about it.

Spider-Man was my favorite Marvel hero as a kid, but as I grew up, I kinda lost interest in him compared to others. I dunno, I guess his high school shenanigans just don’t feel that relatable or interesting to me anymore, which is why I’ve said I just can’t get hyped for Spidey films anymore. That said, the films are always still entertaining in that popcorn, forgettable way, and Into the Spider-verse was absolutely brilliant, one of my favorite animated films ever (not so much because of the character but because of the wildly imaginative filmmaking), so I still go see all the Spidey movies with expectations of enjoyment. But would I miss him if he left the MCU? Nah. I got to see him play with Iron Man and Cap. That’s all I wanted on that front.

I got to see him play with Iron Man and Cap. That’s all I wanted on that front.
I wish we got to see more interactions between spiderman and Cap. Looks like it's too late now, I don't think we'll see them interact in Endgame and Cap may be gone after that.

I wish we got to see more interactions between spiderman and Cap. Looks like it's too late now, I don't think we'll see them interact in Endgame and Cap may be gone after that.
Yeah I would’ve like to see a little more from them too. Oh well.

Spider-Man was my favorite Marvel hero as a kid, but as I grew up, I kinda lost interest in him compared to others. I dunno, I guess his high school shenanigans just don’t feel that relatable or interesting to me anymore, which is why I’ve said I just can’t get hyped for Spidey films anymore. That said, the films are always still entertaining in that popcorn, forgettable way, and Into the Spider-verse was absolutely brilliant, one of my favorite animated films ever (not so much because of the character but because of the wildly imaginative filmmaking), so I still go see all the Spidey movies with expectations of enjoyment. But would I miss him if he left the MCU? Nah. I got to see him play with Iron Man and Cap. That’s all I wanted on that front.

I wonder how they’d even handle that. The easiest explanation would be that the life got too much for him and he retired, but there’s no way Sony would recast Holland for the sake of MCU continuity.

I still need some Spidey Vs Hulk action, Spidey/Wolvie-- either a fight or a team-up-- and the Spidey/Deadpool bromance

Yes, that is unfortunate. :csad:

Cinematic universe actors should be allowed to freeze their real life ages so we get time for everything. :cwink:

I would have liked to see his reaction to meeting Thor and Hulk as well. Both to round out meetings with all the original Avengers, and to see the kid from Queens meet a god and a radioactive rage monster. I guess he got to see plenty of weirdness in Infinity War, but he didn't really have time to fully take it all in as himself given all the action and pressure.

I'm sure Chris Evans confirmed that he won't play Cap again after Endgame.

I'm sure Chris Evans confirmed that he won't play Cap again after Endgame.

Are you referring to the time when he thanked everyone for the memories? If so he came out and clarified that it had nothing to do with his future, just that the production for IW and Endgame were over. If you're referring to something else then I missed that.

Are you referring to the time when he thanked everyone for the memories? If so he came out and clarified that it had nothing to do with his future, just that the production for IW and Endgame were over. If you're referring to something else then I missed that.
If I can't find it, then I might have to apologize.

EDIT: Apologies need to be made:O

Last edited:
Raimi made Spider-man feel on the same level as Batman.

MCU makes Spider-man feel on the same level as Ant Man.

That’s my issue, really.

Why do we need Nick Fury? Why can’t Peter be the driver of his own story? Of his own actions? Where’s the character development? Why are they continuing to put Peter in a subservient position? He’s Spider-man. The second or third best comic book superhero ever created. Why is he being positioned as third tier?

Weird.

This movie really suffers for following Into The Spiderverse... which made being Spider-man an incredibly important, challenging, epic and heroic thing.

Last edited:
They’re kinda just all over the place with him. The whole point of his solo movie was him realizing how important it is to keep his ear to the ground and protect the little guy, and he becomes an Avenger and travels to another planet literally the next time we see him.

MCU Spidey has so many hits and misses. Tom Holland is great so that’s a plus, but I hate how they have to give him all these other heroes and AI suits to prop him up. It’s Spidey, he doesn’t need sidekicks or help, just let him be himself.

Raimi made Spider-man feel on the same level as Batman.

MCU makes Spider-man feel on the same level as Ant Man.

That’s my issue, really.

Why do we need Nick Fury? Why can’t Peter be the driver of his own story? Of his own actions? Where’s the character development? Why are they continuing to put Peter in a subservient position? He’s Spider-man. The second or third best comic book superhero ever created. Why is he being positioned as third tier?

Weird.

This movie really suffers for following Into The Spiderverse... which made being Spider-man an incredibly important, challenging, epic and heroic thing.

This is the Ultimate interpretation, thats why. This is Bendis’ Spiderman. Ultimate Peter was always following in the shadows of the Avengers in the Ultimate comics but not competent enough to be in their prescence. Its different from Stan Lee’s version where Peter, even as a teenager always had a mature edge to him. He could hold his own against any of the Marvel heavyweights. In fact, didnt he kick the Fantastic Four’s ass in the first issue?

Its the Ultimate interpretation thats why. This is the Bendia Spiderman, the one that is following in theAvengers’ footsteps. Stan Lee’s version of Peter always had a more mature edge to him even during the high school era and he could always hold his own against the heavy weights. Heck, he kicked the Fantastic Four’s ass in the first issue didnt he?!

I’ll take your word on that, as I’m not much of a Spider-man reader in recent years!

Just seems a bit strange to me to finally have your absolute most popular character, who has so much pathos and tragedy hard baked into him, and ignore all that in favour of a comedy jaunt around Europe, being Nick Fury’s little sidekick.

I kind of understood why the first solo movie did something different, but surely at this stage, with phase 3 done, there should be an effort to move Spider-man front and centre, by starting to tackle the deeper themes of the character, and building more of a sense of gravitas and ‘power’ about him.

This is the Ultimate interpretation, thats why. This is Bendis’ Spiderman. Ultimate Peter was always following in the shadows of the Avengers in the Ultimate comics but not competent enough to be in their prescence.
Really? He only needed to be with the Avengers to be less destructive, and for Daredevil to hate him less, but that was before Ultimatum.

When Iron Man first saw Peter Parker he asked Nick Fury if he went back in time to fetch Spider-Man, and Nick replied "He beat all of them with his bare hands".

I’ll take your word on that, as I’m not much of a Spider-man reader in recent years!
Fans say the new run fixes the character after the crap he was put through and being mutilated in the last run.

This is the Ultimate interpretation, thats why. This is Bendis’ Spiderman. Ultimate Peter was always following in the shadows of the Avengers in the Ultimate comics but not competent enough to be in their prescence. Its different from Stan Lee’s version where Peter, even as a teenager always had a mature edge to him. He could hold his own against any of the Marvel heavyweights. In fact, didnt he kick the Fantastic Four’s ass in the first issue?
I don’t know if I’d agree with that at all. Ultimate Peter very much had his anominity in his universe and had a lot of edge to him. This is the guy that punched Fury and then proceeded to tell him to “$&;@ off” and stop messing with his life. He always hated with SHIELD and the Avengers interfered with his life, at least early on.

But it’s really hard to compare they two of them. Ultimate Peter’s life is way more messed up than MCU Peter. Within his first few months Norman already knew who he was and trying to kill everyone in his family brutally, on top of other things. Also the Ultimate Universe outside of Spider-Man was kinda crap :funny:

I don’t think the MCU heavily leans on any one interpretation of the character moreso than others, it feels like very much it’s own thing, which I don’t mind.

This discussion of how important Spider-Man feels is interesting though. We’re kind of presented all these characters as if we were in the world. Spider-Man would be overshadowed by the other heroes. I’d comment further but I’m about to be late for work.

Also, probably the main reason Spider-man will always have some big-name Marvel cameos?? Marvel's deal with Sony.

Marvel gets to use Spidey characters and Sony gets to use Marvel characters, it's kinda the whole point. So there's no way Sony doesn't use some of those characters they have access to if its going to put more butts in theater seats. Samuel L and RDJ are proven money-makers, so Sony has a lot of incentive to use them.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see T'Challa or Carol or Strange show up in the next one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"