Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poster just solidifies that the Birds are gonna be a subplot in their own movie. Just like the Fox-Men. Barbara Gordon better be a surprise character in this thing.

Funny, because at least with Suicide Squad, if I showed you a picture of any of the characters you'd have a pretty good chance at guessing who they are. Here? I wouldn't be able to tell you who's who outside of Harley. I only know who some people are because I've been told. Never would've guessed Zsasz was on that poster.

I’m predicting this to be a Snyder like divisive release. I think the whole vibe and aesthetic theyre going for will jive with some people but the fans are gonna largely push back against it. Plus that leaked plot...hoo boy if true. Which would suck because that would mean Harley Quinn starred in two duds before appearing Gunn’s SS and that might poison that well a little even though i have every reason to believe Gunn will knock that one out of the park.
What's the supposed leaked plot?

I still think Jean Grey and Nightcrawler’s little catfight in that movie was hilarious.

Just watched the DP honest trailer. In the future just watch that

You must've been sick for a long time. Luv.
KittCat.jpg
Indeed. It’s not really great to claim race bending on a character when one of the most successful versions of her was a black woman.
thought we were talking about Poison Ivy? i'm confused.
Thought I'd put this here to show you what Predator jp is saying he meant.

Also, if they were talking about Catwoman, I don't think that's the same as race changing Selina Kyle. That was among I think 3 actresses to play the character in a story that may have or not have been the same character maybe I think...

Try to hold onto that feeling. Cherish it.

You know I kept waiting for the bottom to drop out and turn awful but it never really happened.

It also never really got "good" in any real sense but I was expecting this to be at/around Apocalypse-level bad and I can confidently say I'd prefer this movie over Apocalypse. Not a very high bar, but Kinberg at least has a surprisingly competent handle on shooting action.

Same reason I ended up watching Snyder's stuff and all the MCU films I didn't see in theaters. Curiosity, while not wanting to see it in theaters.

Yeah if it's got a Marvel or DC logo in front of it I'm going to at least rent it. I'm a sucker that way.

Still never seen Jonah Hex or Catwoman though :funny:

Same reason I ended up watching Snyder's stuff and all the MCU films I didn't see in theaters. Curiosity, while not wanting to see it in theaters.

I will probably watch Dark Phoenix at some point when it is available and won't cost anything.

Recasting BIRDS OF PREY with similar preferences:

Gugu Mbatha Raw as Dinah Lance/Black Canary

Emmy Rossum as Helena Bertenelli/Huntress

Shailene Woodley as Barbara Gordon/Oracle

Tiffany Espensen as Cassandra Cain/Batgirl

Gina Rodriguez as Renee Montoya

Sharlto Copley as Roman Sionis/Black Mask

Ben Foster as Victor Zsazz

Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn/She's the macguffin of the movie, not the star

Yeah. I actually intended to see Dark Phoenix in theaters because "comic book movie" right? But then I realized I just didn't care enough. I might watch it at some point.

You know I kept waiting for the bottom to drop out and turn awful but it never really happened.

It also never really got "good" in any real sense but I was expecting this to be at/around Apocalypse-level bad and I can confidently say I'd prefer this movie over Apocalypse. Not a very high bar, but Kinberg at least has a surprisingly competent handle on shooting action.

Yeah if it's got a Marvel or DC logo in front of it I'm going to at least rent it. I'm a sucker that way.

Still never seen Jonah Hex or Catwoman though :funny:

The movie really isnt the abomination people make it out to be. Like you said, its not “good” either but there are a plethora of cbms, some very recent, that i could name that are much much worse movies. I thought DP was a competently done film, the problem is that its nothing special at all especially in the shadow of Infinity War, Black, Panther, Endgame, Shazam, Wonder Woman or even Aquaman which all have a pizzazz to them that offer the audience something new. And i think thats why theres such extreme fan hyberbole behind it, because the Phoenix saga deserves an Endgame like epic.

Last edited:
The movie really isnt the abomination people make it out to be. Like you said, its not “good” either but there are a plethora of cbms, some very recent, that i could name that are much much worse movies. I thought DP was a competently done film, the problem is that its nothing special at all especially in the shadow of Infinity War, Black, Panther, Endgame, Shazam, Wonder Woman or even Aquaman which all have a pizzazz to them that offer the audience something new. And i think thats why theres such extreme fan hyberbole behind it, because the Phoenix saga deserves an Endgame like epic.
It was not a particularly good or engaging film, which is always disappointing. But almost nothing in it struck me as egregiously bad either, and what some might point out, which I likely would agree is suboptimal, also come off as nitpicks.

In the end my view is it was similar to many CBMs like GL. On a broad analysis everything is competently done but it ended up as a final product as being very run of the mill and lifeless. Dialog, acting (Yes... Even Lawrence's phoning it in was... competent. She's not bringing any verve to it but she's not laughable or the like...) SFX, production values... None are terrible or take me out of the film. They don't grab my interest much or soar to any heights either.

In the end my view is it was similar to many CBMs like GL. On a broad analysis everything is competently done

Eh, I'd say there's very little about GL that was competent. DP is a considerably better movie.

I think you’re right. I also think DP took the brunt of frustration that has been building for years against this franchise. They failed to sell this new team, or any team of the X-men for that matter, and by the time we're supposed to care about them at their last outing it amounts to nothing more than a shoulder shrug.

I think Days of Future Past is really where they should've stopped because all these sequels just pale in comparison. I still don't understand what was the point of traveling through time, changing things, setting up a good future for the original X-Men team, and then not using them. Then to add insult to injury you kill them all off in that Logan movie. So many missed opportunities under the Fox regime.

Thankfully those dark days are done.

I think the sale did dampen a lot of enthusiasm from the fans. And just a few too many other huge movies this summer. They really should have kept it in Feb. Also fairly certain the sale sort of killed the marketing team.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Saw it in theaters and was expecting it to get to Origins level bad, but it really isn't. DP isn't anything special, but I prefer it over Apocalypse or Last Stand. It's a fine movie. Certainly better than Venom and I'd even rather watch Dark Phoenix again before watching Thor: The Dark World or The Incredible Hulk.

Also, I'm late to all the Superman talk, but I would like to see a really solid animated Superman movie before we get another live action one. Something like Metro Man in Megamind

metroman-09a8671a371f3118dad63f90683eb22856c91fba-s800-c85.jpg

Didn't Vaughn want to lead up and finish with DOFP? Unfortunately, Fox loved it so much they wanted to move forward with it?

I think Days of Future Past is really where they should've stopped because all these sequels just pale in comparison. I still don't understand what was the point of traveling through time, changing things, setting up a good future for the original X-Men team, and then not using them. Then to add insult to injury you kill them all off in that Logan movie. So many missed opportunities under the Fox regime.

Thankfully those dark days are done.

Ending with DOFP and Logan would’ve been the best swan song the franchise could’ve asked for, honestly.

Eh, I'd say there's very little about GL that was competent. DP is a considerably better movie.

I think you’re right. I also think DP took the brunt of frustration that has been building for years against this franchise. They failed to sell this new team, or any team of the X-men for that matter, and by the time we're supposed to care about them at their last outing it amounts to nothing more than a shoulder shrug.

And I think audiences just had had enough of Xmen plain and simple. I could see this movie, the way it is, maybe five years ago grossing over 500 mill. I think in the shadow of Endgame this just looked like “another Xmen movie” to the GA. And one without Hugh Jackman or any characters they really clicked with. We all forget but First Class, even though critics and fans lauded it, barely made any money. I dont think the GA, honestly, ever quite fell in love with the First Class cast and DOFP made its money because of the crossover gimmick with the OG’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"