Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I always find that controversy interesting, especially because the book and film really do go out of their way to say that transgendered people are quite decent people and that Gumb wanting to become a woman is just the latest in a string of identities he’s tried to take on. He even had a swastika in his basement.

Right, the movie has Hannibal specifically say he's not a real transsexual, and Clarice says there's no correlation between transsexualism and violence.

If you look close when he goes and grabs the gun off his bed when Catherine Martin has his dog hostage, he's got swastika bedsheets, lol.

The book implies he's also not really gay, despite having been Benjamin Raspail's lover. In the book, Raspail leaves him and later is involved with a sailor named Klaus whose head Gumb later leaves in Raspail's fridge.

So Gumb is just all over the place trying to find an identity.

Yeah, when you’ve got a film that is essentially based around psychological profiling of a madman that part of it shouldn’t be dismissed. It’s all relevant to the character and story.

I feel like when it comes to movies that deal with darker and more uncomfortable subject matter you do kind of have to look at everything to find the context rather than just going for the gut reaction.

I've watched Suicide Squad today for the first time since 2016, and I dread how bad Birds of Prey will be.

cHgY6YH.gif

I think it needs to be pointed out that this is a totally different creative team handling BOP. Different director, different writer, different editor, etc. Just about the only thing this movie has retained from Suicide Squad is the same actress for Harley Quinn. Don’t get me wrong: the movie could still end up being bad, but I have much more faith in this being good than if David Ayer came back to direct again.

Last edited:
I have yet to even watch the BoP trailer, but nothing about gets me even remotely excited. Unless it gets great reviews and I hear from other people that it's really good, I don't think I'll see it.

Wonder Woman '84 is the only CBM next year that looks good to me so far.

I think Margot Robbie made Suicide Squad worth watching despite its problems.

And while it's unfortunate for BoP fans that this movie isn't really about the BoP, I could care less about how 'faithful to comics' it is or isn't because that has jack **** to do with quality. I liked the WW trailer and I liked the BW trailer (more than I expected to even), but the BoP trailer has way more style and fun (and a surprising amount of comics wackiness - hammer, hyenas, etc - considering how much people complained about the costuming) than either of them. Between that and Robbie's performance, this is easily still my most anticipated movie of the year.

Margot Robbie was by far the best part of suicide squad and im always excited to see her reprise the role.

Saw bits and pieces of the CW crossover episode and...yeah, no thanks. And Kevin Conroy is too good for the CW. I love how Conroy who’s mostly a voice actor was acting circles around almost every live-action actors in the scenes he shared with especially that Batwoman actress(I didn’t care to remember her name but she was awful). :funny:

Sorry, I just can’t get pass how cheap the CW shows look. I mean look at this:

Someday I want these superhero shows to basically be a live-action version of this.

It’s ironic that even though this is all CGI this video game cutscene alone feels way more real to me than the CW stuff which always looks fake and cheap. This cutscene looks and feels like a real big budget superhero movie. In contrast to the CW which are just flat, cheap, and uninspired visually.
One day I hope superhero shows will have production values on par with movies.

Not all superhero shows need to be expensive but I do think a lot of superhero characters needs a proper budget to be well-realized(loot the good Netflix shows like Daredevil and DC shows like Doom Patrol) but man when you’re trying to do a crossover event like Crisis Infinite Earth’s I just wish the budget was there to match. I’m just not feeling it you guys.

I hope the upcoming Disney Plus shows like Moon Night and She-Hulk have production values on par with the movies(even if they won’t cost as much as them). I also hope HBO Max also brings their A-game with the Green Lantern show and those other DC shows, and avoids the cheap corniness of the CW. I suspect many here will strongly disagree with my opinion and accuse me of being a elitist snob, and say, “IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT WATCH IT!” Or whatever but I can’t help but complain. I respect people who like the CW, I really do, but it just isn’t for me.

Last edited:
I won't be surprised if BoP is one of those movies everyone complains about before it actually comes out, then it actually comes out and most people end up liking it.

Someday I want these superhero shows to basically be a live-action version of this.

That's the work of Tim Miller, the Deadpool and Dark Fate director. He's the main reason why Deadpool looked great despite the low budget. And he's probably the reason it was made at all, given that there's a 99.99% chance he was the fellow that leaked the sizzle trailer.

Mr. Miller also helped to introduce Iron Man to a broader audience before the MCU launch.

I saw the Kevin Conroy scenes from CW Crisis and I’m torn. It was great finally seeing a Bruce Wayne in one of these live action WB/CW shows, but it felt like a waste considering what they wrote for him. Then one scene looked like he was acting in the voice actor booth, but still he did better than Ruby Rose.

lol Snyder fans

Spoilers for Crisis Of Infinite Earths.

A lot of the Snyder fans on Twitter are claiming that Conroy Batman In Crisis(who’s a killer and has killed his Earth’s Superman) saying the lines the “world only makes sense when you force it to” is a nod to BvS(when in reality it’s a nod to a similar line in Dark Knight Returns and BvS was homaging that). Shows what they know about comics. :funny:

Yeah, I’m trying really hard to watch Crisis but it’s hard. I did like the Tom Welling bit and Brandon Routh makes a far far far better Superman than Ray Palmer. His Clark is pretty damn good but overall it’s pretty bad so far

I watched the Routh, Welling, and Conroy bits. Definitely a big joy to see them on screen, but aside from that i dont really feel like watching haha. Routh is still a fantastic superman, welling still has it, and Conroy was great.

WB really should have invested in Tom Welling years ago when Smallville was big. They could've ended that series sooner than they did, craft a whole Superman movie franchise around Welling and just went from there. His acting chops is one thing but to me he always had that classic Supes look.

WB really should have invested in Tom Welling years ago when Smallville was big. They could've ended that series sooner than they did, craft a whole Superman movie franchise around Welling and just went from there. His acting chops is one thing but to me he always had that classic Supes look.
Agreed. I felt smallville went on too long as it is, as much as i enjoyed that show, and it would've been better to transition him into Supes. I got a whole wave of nostalgia seeing just for those 4 minutes as Clark again.

Yeah, I saw the Welling bit and Routh as Supes so I don’t think I need to watch any further

That's the work of Tim Miller, the Deadpool and Dark Fate director. He's the main reason why Deadpool looked great despite the low budget. And he's probably the reason it was made at all, given that there's a 99.99% chance he was the fellow that leaked the sizzle trailer.

Mr. Miller also helped to introduce Iron Man to a broader audience before the MCU launch.

Not everyone has a CG company that they can make work for cheap.

I mean, I'm not sure what anyone was expecting. I'm having fun. But, I'm also not bringing in a ton of emotional baggage over the characters. Frankly, part 2 is really what I expected for the most part. I'm having fun, so whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"