Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn’t expecting to see something like that until Black Panther 2 so that was quite an unexpected tug on the heartstrings this morning. Well done, Disney and Marvel.

I was today years old when I found out that today is both Chadwick Boseman and Don Cheadle’s birthday.

Daredevil had a marvelous three seasons, let it rest. Launch the character in the movies now.

I’d be fine with a hard reboot with a new actor. If Marvel hadn’t made that deal with Netflix then there’s no doubt in my mind that it’d be Daredevil not Moon Night getting the Disney Plus series. I’m actually think MCU proper Daredevil would be tonally a cross between the more warm, optimistic, Mark Waid run and the more darker, grim and gritty Frank Miller run. The character shouldn’t be defined solely on one version. He can be open to another interpretation.

Last edited:
Or....how about they go the Ghostrider route and reboot but with Cox still in the role? Everyone else they can recast, new stories, new suit new everything. :sly:

Last edited:
Even though the topic has been discussed plenty of times before, I enjoyed Patrick H Willem's recent "What's the Point of R-Rated Superheroes?" video. Can't be posted here due to footage and language.

I'm not enthusiastic about Disney Daredevil. Disney has not shown a willingness to go as dark as the character should be, and the previous three seasons were so good that it is almost impossible for them to improve upon that portrayal. I just don't see any way how their version doesn't end up worse.

It kind of reminds me of when they cancelled Spectacular Spider-Man. They could never follow that up either.

I'm not enthusiastic about Disney Daredevil. Disney has not shown a willingness to go as dark as the character should be, and the previous three seasons were so good that it is almost impossible for them to improve upon that portrayal. I just don't see any way how their version doesn't end up worse.

It kind of reminds me of when they cancelled Spectacular Spider-Man. They could never follow that up either.

If Mikey Sutton's scoop is correct, then Marvel wants Charlie Cox back as Matt Murdock -- for both TV and movies. Whether the new show stays within the continuity of the Netflix series is another thing entirely.

If it does come to fruition, the new Daredevil show won't be on Disney+, but on Hulu.

Yeah I am very skeptical about a Disney Daredevil. I guess Moon Knight will be the litmus test wont it?

Yeah I am very skeptical about a Disney Daredevil. I guess Moon Knight will be the litmus test wont it?
Moon Knight and when we get there, Blade will be telling as to hard Marvel is willing to go I think.

The other shows, especially the two first on deck, W/V and F/WS might go darker than we all expect at times, but given how connected those characters are to the MCU as we know it, I don't see a big tonal or subject matter shift, even though especially with F/WS I think it DEMANDS they dig just a bit deeper to give the audience something with some resonance to the real era we are living in.

While I agree with you I also don't think it needs to be as good as the Netflix Daredevil, let alone improve upon it, to be good. Lots of good superhero shows and films are worse than that show in my view.

That said there's of course always a risk that the new portrayal will be bad, as is the risk with anything, and I'd definitely want Cox back if I can get it as I'm already invested in that portrayal, even though it may be a bit different in a new context.

I also have concerns about how adult they would let a Daredevil show get. I have this same fear with both Blade and Moon Knight as well. But we shall see. I honestly see little reason if Cox comes back to be Daredevil to not just at minimum leave the previous seasons as vague backstory that they may or may not vaguely reference without directly picking up threads. Why go backward and not forward?

I actually don’t see the harm in recasting Charlie Cox as MCU Scott Summers. With some extra muscle he would be amazing in that role.

Hmmm... i mean i think Cox could pull off Summers... but im willing to bet that by the time the mcu xmen is greenlit he’ll be too old for the Cyclops they want.

I think the X-Men are going to end up younger than some think they will be.

You think they’ll be teenagers again? Didn’t Apocalypse already cover that territory?

I think they will be, yes. We can argue they "tried" it, but not really. It was still really about Xavier, Eric, and Raven. At least halfway. I think this will end up more superhero Hogwarts.

I think they will be, yes. We can argue they "tried" it, but not really. It was still really about Xavier, Eric, and Raven. At least halfway. I think this will end up more superhero Hogwarts.
I don’t mind that approach though I’ve seen a lot of pushback to that idea online. I remember in the MCU X-Men thread the idea wasn’t received too well. Not saying that Feige and co actually care or should dictate their creative decisions around the wishes of some fans but I do think most prefer if the MCU X-Men are older and seasoned as opposed to being younger and green.

I also have concerns about how adult they would let a Daredevil show get. I have this same fear with both Blade and Moon Knight as well. But we shall see. I honestly see little reason if Cox comes back to be Daredevil to not just at minimum leave the previous seasons as vague backstory that they may or may not vaguely reference without directly picking up threads. Why go backward and not forward?
I'd rather they at least didn't outright contradict what happened in the shows, and also didn't give us an origin given we've already seen way past that. They should take advantage of the ton of goodwill that the show has generated, easy win sitting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"