Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about Into the Spiderverse being the best (and being more interested in that sequel than the live-action one), but I'm a little worried that this creative team is quite a different group from the first one. Lord & Miller weren't the only people responsible for the first being awesome.

I'll be controversial the other way and say I'll take what I can get from bringing back the Amazing Spider-Man franchise (and from the spinoff movies, if they can actually get a Spider-Woman or Black Cat movie going) and otherwise wait for a reboot someday, maybe as a TV show. Into the Spider-Verse didn't work for me. It was already off to a bad start being about a legacy character, but I didn't like the style/tone, and the off-brand Spider-people weren't as much fun as it felt like they should have been/wanted to be. Spider-Gwen was the best part, and she felt kind of shoved to the side.

I hope the secondary villains in Death Dealer and Razor Fist are pretty cool in Shang-Chi. I don't have high hopes though since most of the secondary baddies in the MCU have been pretty bland.

f0e94bd083ad045e9afce874d330dfd2a2eab4a4.gifv

Now if Miles' voice actor wouldn't have some really bad takes on Twitter, that'd be great.

I still really can’t believe he had the balls to say that about Rosa Parks. And I was rooting for him too, once upon a time.

Probably the vast majority of people who saw it. Because it's flippin' amazing. :atp:

Lol, I won’t say it’s overrated, but I’ll just say I thought it was beautifully animated and nice to look at.

I hope the secondary villains in Death Dealer and Razor Fist are pretty cool in Shang-Chi. I don't have high hopes though since most of the secondary baddies in the MCU have been pretty bland.

f0e94bd083ad045e9afce874d330dfd2a2eab4a4.gifv

I wanted Florian to be MCU Colossus so bad.

I am not that jazzed for the Spiderverse in live action. I would have preferred just another Holland solo. Garfield isn't a draw for me and while I love the Raimi movies, I don't need him in a crossover movie where they could just muck it up. I am more nervous NWH will be a mess than any prior MCU film. But that said, I hope for the best

I am not that jazzed for the Spiderverse in live action. I would have preferred just another Holland solo. Garfield isn't a draw for me and while I love the Raimi movies, I don't need him in a crossover movie where they could just muck it up. I am more nervous NWH will be a mess than any prior MCU film. But that said, I hope for the best

I'd feel more comfortable with Tobey's Spidey just appearing in Multiverse Of Madness knowing it's 100% Raimi at the helm.

I feel apprehensive about somebody else playing in the series he made, it's nothing against Watts I'd feel the same if it was anyone else too, it's just the Spidey films Raimi did were so distinctly and uniquely is.

But again I tell myself he probably had some input and approval at the least so I'm trying to stay optimistic about it.

I was hoping, after the climax of Far From Home seemed to finally set Holland's Spidey up to have fully come into his own as a full-fledged big-scale superhero in his own right, the third movie would lean harder into that.....instead of throwing him into multiverse shenanigans with two previous Spider-Men and their past villains.

Into the Spider-Verse is a perfect standalone film that has complete resolution of the arcs at the end so I'll say that making a sequel to that one is the most forced of the two things that are discussed. Trying new things in the MCU, which is made to be a continuous story, feels much more logical. Whether any given project turns out good or bad isn't something I can know until I see it so not much point in me stating anything about that.

Into the Spider-Verse is a perfect standalone film that has complete resolution of the arcs at the end so I'll say that making a sequel to that one is the most forced of the two things that are discussed. Trying new things in the MCU, which is made to be a continuous story, feels much more logical. Whether any given project turns out good or bad isn't something I can know until I see it so not much point in me stating anything about that.

Really?

I would say that the pre-cred/post cred scenes, along with the concept itself, portends a natural continuation of the franchise based on that first film.

Really?

I would say that the pre-cred/post cred scenes, along with the concept itself, portends a natural continuation of the franchise based on that first film.

I'll admit that I completely forgot the credits scenes. I went back and looked and I certainly remembered them when I saw them again, but clearly they didn't stick with me like the rest of the film did.

But while I expressed it in a wrong way in my previous post I still feel that the film feels like a great standalone story, despite that you can do anything in a multiverse. It just has that feel where I think things are resolved and the two characters with depth have a classic one shot endings where the future looks bright but it's something you'll just have to imagine. Maybe it's that I think the multiverse feels a bit more gimmicky when done with just Spider-Man versions.

That being said I'm of course going to watch a sequel. The first one was really good and hopefully they'll just build on that to something new and not just feel like a repeat.

I agree with the Spiderverse sequel being forced--only in the sense of too many adventures requiring the multiverse or spreading across it gets a little silly after a while. Eventually, it becomes a question of "why can't Miles just be the solo hero without help from other spider people?"

I already think the Spiderverse thing is getting pretty played out in general. The general audience seems to be fascinated with such stories (hence why they make money), but to me it's firmly a gimmick. Once the novelty of seeing some established, existing Spider-Men has passed, I'm not interested in seeing newly invented alternate Spideys just to keep the gimmick alive.

We're getting Maguire and Garfield's return in live action. We've gotten to see Noir and Spider-Ham already. Beyond Miguel O'Hara and the return of Nicholas Hammond, Fox Kids' Spidey, Spectacular Spidey and maybe Paul Soles or "Amazing Friends" Spidey... I'd have no interest in the Spiderverse thing any longer. I'm still kind of bummed that they had the '60s cartoon show pop up and didn't get Soles back to do the voice. He doesn't have much longer to live, and I think he still sounds pretty good, all things considered.

I can see the next Spiderverse movie bringing in even more alternate reality Spider-Men. It's entirely plausible to bring in Holland, Maguire and Garfield for cameos, especially if they're animated. I wouldn't be surprised to see Yuri Lowenthal's Spidey either given how successful the PS4 game has been.

Right.

I mean IMO, it has a lot in its plus column. It's something different than what Hollywood always gives us: a predominately Asian cast and Asian creatives leading a CBM; it's about a relatively obscure superhero and he's not someone who has umpteen movies/reboots that we've seen before; and I'm curious to see how this story fits into the greater MCU.

I'll give Shang-Chi and his ten rings a shot.

And if this damn Flash movie doesn't lead us into a Keaton-led Batman Beyond, then I'm going to have a temper tantrum. WB can greenlight the most absurd stuff except a live action version of that.

Yep, couldn’t agree more with these two posts. I think Shang Chi will have a bit more independence from the wider MCU also, which could be a good thing. Sometimes the solo’s get a bit too involved with the wider universe, which is understandable with some characters, but this should work just fine with some subtle hints.

Can't say this casting does much for me personally. Lately Clarke was great on GoT, but outside that meh. I don't blame her entirely for the bad movies she was in, but I also can't say I felt she was a positive in those films either.

How long until everyone starts speculating she's Sue Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"