Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her movies are better than Villenueve. Fact.

I’ve never been a fan of his work. They are beautifully shot and technically proficient, but I find him highly overrated. (Especially the overlong letdown that was BR 2049.) And this was before his offhanded comments about Marvel.
I can't say I've watched any of her movies so I have no reference to agree on the body of her work. I do however, love Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival, the last one is pretty weird time travel nonsense, but the things around it are a pleasure to watch.

I respect the heck out of Blade Runner 2049. It’s extremely well made. Perfect in a technical sense, (great production design, VFX, cinematography, ) with a story worthy of the original in every way but I had to agree with the poster who said it was a overlong slog. It’s captivating at several points, but it’s ultimately a pretty dull film to watch and invest myself in the characters. Funny enough I felt the same about it the way I did with the original so I think that movie perfectly compliments the original.

Last edited:
I can't say I've watched any of her movies so I have no reference to agree on the body of her work. I do however, love Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival, the last one is pretty weird time travel nonsense, but the things around it are a pleasure to watch.

Sicario was good, but that was due to the casting (Blunt, Del Toro) and script. Any competent director with that cast and script would've turned out a good movie.

I respect the heck out of Blade Runner 2049. It’s extremely well made. Perfect in a technical sense, (great production design, VFX, cinematography, ) with a story worthy of the original in every way but I had to agree with the poster who said it was a overlong slog. It’s captivating at several points, but it’s ultimately a pretty dull film to watch and invest myself in the characters. I felt same about it the way I did with the original so I think that movie perfectly compliments the original.

I really enjoy Blade Runner, it captivated and provided food for thought. It didn't overstay its welcome and I find something new every time I watch it. Is it a bit slow? Yes, but the atmosphere is palpable and it is a experience.

BR 2049 had little of what the original so good. I give Villenueve and the writers credit for not retreading similar ground -- but that's it. And that A-list cast was just wasted -- especially Ford and Gosling. They should've never made the sequel.

I respect the heck out of Blade Runner 2049. It’s extremely well made. Perfect in a technical sense, (great production design, VFX, cinematography, ) with a story worthy of the original in every way but I had to agree with the poster who said it was a overlong slog. It’s captivating at several points, but it’s ultimately a pretty dull film to watch and invest myself in the characters. Funny enough I felt the same about it the way I did with the original so I think that movie perfectly compliments the original.

I think Bladerunner 2049 is comparable to 2001 A Space Oddysey. Its an audiovisual work of art thats meant to be seen on a big screen with big sound in order to “get” the experience. Watching BR2049 in theater the first time was just incredible, those sweeping, grandiose vista shots of Los Angeles with Zimmer’s booming score just sucked me into the movie and the 2hrs and 45 mins just flew by. I walked out thinking it was a masterpiece.

But i have to say much later when I revisited the movie on home video…it wasnt the same experience. I still loved the movie but wasnt nearly as blown away by it and i felt the pacing and story issues and runtime a lot more watching it at home and i think its in large part because i wasnt watching it on a huge screen with the score engulfing my senses. Denis clearly crafted that movie to be a theatrical experience and I imagine Dune was made in the same fashion. I imagine watching Dune in theaters bs watching it at home on your flat screen on HBO Max is gonna give people two completely different experiences.

I remember Michael Rooker was spotted in an Infinity War production hat circa 2016-2017 so this may not mean much. Hardy could have just gotten one because he's part of the Sony family. Although, it is far more plausible for Hardy's Venom to show up in No Way Home than it was for Yondu to show up in Infinity War.

Tom Hardy will show up in No Way Home as Uncle Ben.

They do it for the clicks. Anyone with half a brain knows someone like Scorsese likely isn't gonna care about the majority of mainstream American cinema in this day and age, and they're hoping for a controversial response that'll drive tons of traffic. Same reason after Martin's comments went viral you saw reporters asking similar questions to the likes of Coppola and Ken Loach, knowing they were gonna get the same response.

Last edited:
I hope every auteur director gets asked the Marvel Question from now on. The people must know!

I hope every auteur director gets asked the Marvel Question from now on. The people must know!
First auteur: "It's a phase, it won't last forever"
*Fans of these movies write nasty editorials about him*

Second auteur: "I don't get the point of these movies, although you can count one of my movies as part of this genre"
*Fans of these movies jeer him*

Third auteur: "I'm Batman"
*Fans do the Robin thing from Titans trailer and say "F*** Batman"*

Actor says: "I'm not a fan of this genre"
*Fans call actor an a-hole*

I say: "Iron Fist is still part of Marvel"

They will, because that's how the interviewer gets their click bait.

As pretentious as I feel some aspects of his films may be, I do appreciate Nolan's honesty about his love for the Fast & Furious franchise and Michael Bay movies. Not everything needs to be an arthouse movie but at the same time, a lot of these filmmakers can step their game up instead of just blaming Marvel for what they don't like about the film industry.

But back to Villeneuve, I'd have loved it if the follow up question was "and what do you think about DC movies?" just to see him sweat at the possibility of upsetting WB with that answer. :o

Correct if I'm wrong, but I thought that what Nolan praised about Bay films was the technical craftmanship of his movies as opposed to the actual movies?

Mr. Christopher Nolan loves Michael Bay films? I have to really reconsider them then.

FragrantBogusHoopoe-max-1mb.gif

Has Spielberg ever made a comment about Marvel movies?

I honestly don't remember this intro being in any DC film since Josstice League. I'm sure it was in some of them but if it was I can't remember. It's obviously not as memorable as the Marvel Studios intro, which I do enjoy but I can also admit it goes on for too long.

The auteurs are too predictable. You know they will be moaning again that it was only luck and circumstance that led to Thor: The Dark World turning into a masterpiece rather than a practise that can be repeated through elite skills alone. Bored of it. :dry:

IIRC Spielberg also praised Black Panther. He's been one of the people who was warning about a Hollywood crash for years that essentially crowds out smaller movies, so I can't imagine he's too thrilled about superheroes as a genre, but he's definitely been diplomatic when asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"