Superhero Cinematic Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still bad. BvS would have been a poor movie 10 years ago.
Is there a time period where it would have been considered a masterpiece? Like the Victorian era or Middle Ages?

Is there a time period where it would have been considered a masterpiece? Like the Victorian era or Middle Ages?

Yes, during the Age of Heroes where Steppy got distracted by the flying ring :o

Snyder's visuals have this veneer of artifice to them that always put me off, even when his framing is good, and sometimes it is. I've never really gotten the praise for him visually speaking. Though he certainly has a distinct style and the skillset to realize it.

Looking through the DC catalog even before the DCEU debacle, DC seemed to have more misses than hits.

Superman
Superman 2

Superman 3
Supergirl
Superman IV

Batman
Batman Returns

Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Steel
Catwoman
Constantine

Batman Begins
Superman Returns
The Dark Knight

Watchmen
Jonah Hex
Green Lantern

The Dark Knight Rises

Not to mention all the movies that seemed to not have been able to make

Whedon's Wonder Woman
Superman Lives
Aronofsky's Year One
JJ Abrams' Superman
Wolfgang Peterson's Batman vs. Superman
Batman Triumphant
Justice League Mortal

Then there's the DCEU, where MOS the first in the series was done as a way to not lose the rights.

I don't think if the WB was able to do a DCEU prior to Marvel, if we'd be talking about the genius that is WB.

Looking through the DC catalog even before the DCEU debacle, DC seemed to have more misses than hits.

Superman
Superman 2

Superman 3
Supergirl
Superman IV

Batman
Batman Returns

Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Steel
Catwoman
Constantine

Batman Begins
Superman Returns
The Dark Knight

Watchmen
Jonah Hex
Green Lantern

The Dark Knight Rises

Whedon's Wonder Woman
Superman Lives
Aronofsky's Year One
JJ Abrams' Superman
Batman Triumphant
Justice League Mortal

Then there's the DCEU, where MOS the first in the series was done as a way to not lose the rights.

I don't think if the WB was able to do a DCEU prior to Marvel, if we'd be talking about the genius that is WB.

Hmm of the reds on your list there's only Watchmen where I could even begin to mount a defence lol. The rest are pretty much undisputed. Quality control needs to be improved when they don't have a visionary guy like Nolan making life easy.

If it happened earlier the "tone thing" would be more palatable because the tone at the time was the way Nolan saw fit; speaking for DC films. People definitely weren't going out in droves to catch the belated sequel to Donner's Superman.

Superman
Superman 2

Superman 3
Supergirl
Superman IV

Batman
Batman Returns

Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Steel
Catwoman
Constantine

Batman Begins
Superman Returns
The Dark Knight

Watchmen
Jonah Hex
Green Lantern

The Dark Knight Rises

Whedon's Wonder Woman
Superman Lives
Aronofsky's Year One
JJ Abrams' Superman
Batman Triumphant
Justice League Mortal

WB didn't even need Marvel to make them look bad. I think they've largely squandered the DC library and, as a superhero fan, I find it inexcusable. Batman is the only character they've made work for the past several decades up until Wonder Woman.

Last edited:
Hmm of the reds on your list there's only Watchmen where I could even begin to mount a defence lol. The rest are pretty much undisputed. Quality control needs to be improved when they don't have a visionary guy like Nolan making life easy.

If it happened earlier the "tone thing" would be more palatable because the tone at the time was the way Nolan saw fit; speaking for DC films. People definitely weren't going out in droves to catch the belated sequel to Donner's Superman.

Honestly, I almost can put Superman Returns in the red. It's not great but it's not horrible either. But I don't think I could honestly put both SR and Watchmen as green. I could be talked into switching them.

In terms of WB, I just don't see them doing what MCU did. That article of where Marvel Studios is from it's very humble beginning, selling off Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man to pay their debts. Then trying to create a studio, using 10 properties as collateral that they could have lost if Avengers didn't do well.

Marvel had a goal of not just making money, but for survival. DC movies are just a property that makes WB money. Yes there were thought of doing an early BvS movie or a JL movie prior to the Avengers, but there was never a long term strategy as there was for Marvel.

Last edited:
Honestly, I almost can put Superman Returns in the red. It's not great but it's not horrible either. But I don't think I could honestly put both SR and Watchmen as green. I could be talked into switching them.

SR should be a boring beige.

And actually I should have said I like parts of Constantine.

But really it's crazy that a company that owns so many awesome characters has done so little with most of them. One thing about JL for me is that at least the characters seem fine (apart from BatFleck who was almost asleep during it) and could translate to good solos if someone can salvage the DCEU.

Returns came back and capped off that franchise with a whimper. :oldrazz:
Watchmen foretold the beginning of the end. :o

giphy.gif

Seeing that Infinity War announcement trailer, can't help but feel bad for DC.

Even though it's a bad adaptation of Hellblazer I do like Constantine. Cool cast, cool visuals. Not a bad story. And Storemare as Lucifer is genius.

It’s kicking them while they’re down.... but... I’m sure they worked out this schedule between them long before JL came out. That’s how it usually works.

No, no, no. Call Snyder what you want. A hack, a bad story teller, whatever. But you can never deny Snyder has an eye for visuals.

superman-in-batman-v-superman-dragging-a-ship.jpg

bvs-trinity-header-161476.jpg

sdcc17jl_11.jpg

Only the Batman one looks "cool" to me.

Snyder seems to be more of a pose/slomo visual kind of guy.

I prefer visuals that mix style with a sense of naturalism to it while also telling the story so that's a big reason why Snyder's visuals while cool don't wow me as much as say a Fincher or a Denis Villeneuve for example.

Almost none of Snyder's Batman shots do anything for me. I prefer a real guy, a real cape and a realistic look for that.

I’m just glad I’m equally a fan of both DC and Marvel. Just imagine being someone who only likes DC right now. Thoughts and Prayers out to those folks.

Goes well with the previous Avengers teaser posters.

hJwK8BZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"