Superhero Film of the Year - 2012 Edition

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Lord, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Best Superhero/ comic book film of the year

1. Chronicle

2. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

3. The Avengers

4. The Amazing Spider-Man

5. The Dark Knight Rises

6. Dredd

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lord

Lord All Mighty

I finally saw Chronicle, the film was going well until the 3rd act.

Chronicle - B-
    The Avengers - A-
    The Amazing Spider-Man - B
    The Dark Knight Rises - A

Once Dredd is released i will add a poll

2. Hammer!

Hammer! Well-Known Member

Avengers: A-
    The Dark Knight Rises: C+
    The Amazing Spider-Man: C-
    Ghost Rider 2: n/a

Others just for fun!

Men in Black III: B
    The Hunger Games: C
    Prometheus: D+
    Cabin in the Woods: B
    The Dictator: D+
    Chernobyl Diaries: C

3. weezerspider

weezerspider Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight Rises-A
    The Avengers-A
    TAS-B+

4. Human Torch

Human Torch Well-Known Member

Avengers 10/10
    TDKR 9/10
    TAS-M 6/10
    Ghost Rider SOV 6/10

5. Baneis8feettall

Baneis8feettall Half face half amazing

The Dark Knight Rises by far.

6. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

The Avengers - 10
    The Dark Knight Rises - 10
    Dredd - 8
    The Amazing Spiderman - 8
    Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance - 5

Not based on a comic book but Chronicle was a 9.

7. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

The Avengers- A+
    The Dark Knight Rises- A-
    Chronicle- B+
    Amazing Spider-Man- B+
    Ghost Rider- D

8. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

The Avengers is not only my favorite superhero film of the year, but it's also my favorite film of the year (so far). It was a fanboy's wet dream. I can't wait to pick up the Blu-ray.

The Dark Knight Rises isn't too far behind. Not as good as TDK, but still pretty damn epic. Bane was an awesome villain. Overall, it was a worthy end to a great trilogy.

The Amazing Spider-Man was good, but I didn't fall in love with it like I did with Raimi's original film. But I will concede that Andrew Garfield is much better in the role, and Emma Stone was perfect as well. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance was one of the worst superhero movies I've ever seen.

9. The Englishman

The Englishman Marching On Together

The Avengers - A+
    The Dark Knight Rises - A
    Dredd - A
    The Amazing Spider-Man - B
    Chronicle - B-
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence - F

10. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

So far:

The Avengers: A+
    The Dark Knight Rises: A
    The Amazing Spider-Man: A-
    Chronicle: B-

Never saw Ghost Rider, don't plan to. Looking forward to Dredd next week, though.

11. BlackFox

BlackFox Red devil

The Dark Knight Rises 9/10
    Dredd 8.5/10
    Avengers 8/10
    Amazing Spiderman 6/10

12. kewlmatto

kewlmatto Well-Known Member

So far for me...

The Amazing Spider-Man - 9/10 (Just slightly more enjoyable than The Avengers for me)
    The Avengers - 9/10
    The Dark Knight Rises - 8.5/10

As a huge Batman and Nolan fan, I am very surprised that the other two movies edged out TDKR for me.

13. DoomsdayApex

DoomsdayApex Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight Rises: A
    The Avengers: B+
    Dredd: B
    The Amazing Spiderman: C-

All things considering, it was a legendary year for comic book movies. I doubt 2012 will ever be topped.

...Unless The Avengers 2, The Batman relaunch and Justice League are outstanding in 2015.

14. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

Scores
    1. TDKR (I liked this better than TDK) 9.5
    2. ASM - 9
    3. Dredd - 8.5
    4. Avengers - 8
    5. Ghost Rider - 6
    6. Chronicle - 6
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Likes and dislikes
    1. TDKR
    Dislike: nearly everything the final 5 minutes

2. ASM
    Dislikes: The villian is lacklustre

3. Dredd
    Dislikes: Climax is over pretty quick

4. Avengers
    Dislikes: Generic villian

5. Ghost Rider
    Dislikes: Generic plot

6. Chronicle
    Dislikes: Found footage (this is the last time I'm watching a found footage movie, I hate the genre with a passion)
    ------------------------------------------
    Blu ray purchases
    TDKR, ASM, Dredd and Avengers getting bought on Blu ray, the other two I'm not going to bother.
    ------------------------------------------
    Times at the cinema
    1. Avengers - 4 times
    2. ASM - 3 times
    3. Dredd - 3 times (seen it twice and I'm going to watch it again)
    2. TDKR - 2 times
    3. Ghost Rider - 2 times (only because I wanted to see the effects again)
    5. Chronicle - once (and wish I'd rented it)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  15. Lord

Lord All Mighty

Poll's up.

16. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

The Avengers: A
    The Amazing Spider-Man: B+
    The Dark Knight Rises: C+
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance: D

Didn't expect to place it at the top, but Avengers was pretty much everything I wanted out of the movie and more. I didn't go in expecting it to be that good or work very well at all, it defied my expectations. The chemistry between the actors was great, there was just enough of the main characters to balance the focus out, and it handled all of the plotlines left from each solo movie very cohesively. Not only that, but I felt like it was the most successful at adapting the actual feel, the scale, and the excitement of reading a comic book and translating it onto the screen without feeling forced, something I felt really hindered more direct adaptations like Sin City and 300. This felt like... well, a movie worthy of a team of superheroes.

The Amazing Spider-Man has some pretty heavy flaws, but I felt that when it worked, it really worked. It was a movie that showed real potential for future installments, despite being hampered by having to sloppily retell the origin story in the midst of trying to tell their own story, which also suffered as a result of it. In some ways, Garfield's performance as Peter easily saved the movie and made it able to stand on it's own. Whenever it hit the right beats it became the best realization of Spidey on film yet, but once again, it was the story that really threw it off balance. The structure of Connors' plot depleting as the movie went along, to the point where he ended up little more than a stereotypical villain by the end, comes to mind as one of the many missed opportunities. It was nice to see Spidey finally wisecrack, but there's more to the character than that. I hope sequels expand on it, because they set a really solid foundation in place.

The Dark Knight Rises... I hate to say it, but despite leaving the theater having enjoyed it, it hasn't sat nearly as well with me in the time since. Even after repeat viewings. The movie honestly felt kind of lacking, rushing along just to get to a place that I personally feel wasn't deserved in it's own narrative and didn't feel like the Batman I knew from any medium. Even beyond that, the story itself rushes by so fast that questions are left hanging over some sequences, something that neither Batman Begins or The Dark Knight made nearly as obvious. Truly important things were left as an afterthought, which is particularly baffling when you consider the movie's runtime. The performances were great. Bale gave perhaps his finest turn as Bruce Wayne, Hathaway nailed the Selina of the comics, Hardy blew me away as Bane despite the character's incredibly lackluster motivations, Levitt's part was nicely interwoven up to a point, and the usual suspects like Caine and Oldman faired well. But given the other two installments' roster of talent, that wasn't a surprise. The way that the movie felt so poorly put together was. It's easily the weakest of the three, despite the occasional spectacular moment, and just it barely manages to keep it's head above water. Honestly, looking at it in retrospect, I'm disappointed.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance had some interesting ideas and an improved CG head for it's main character. Little else left an impression on me. Cage felt bored half of the time, so whenever he really got into it, it was great. But the villains were terrible, the action sequences forgettable, the plot was pretty standard... really, there's just nothing there to gravitate to beyond a couple of moments. I thought it did some things better than the first movie, but overall, it wasn't really the movie it could've been.
    Despite that I keep hearing good things for Dredd, I doubt I'll get to see it in theaters. Which is a shame, because I like Urban as an actor and the movie seems to be a very faithful iteration of the character.

17. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

Why?

18. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

Lack of money to spend, personal limitations, free time. The classics. I'm sure I'll at least catch it on DVD.

19. TheGuy

TheGuy Well-Known Member

How about we break down every part of each movies. Cinematography, visual effects, score, depth, and story. Everyone's giving out scores without further explanation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  20. weezerspider

weezerspider Well-Known Member

Now that I have seen Dredd:

1. The Dark Knight Rises:The film bites a little more than it can chew, causing some sloppy moments, but overall the film is fantastic and a fantastic conclusion to my favorite film trilogy.Overall A

2. The Avengers:The film pretty much perfects what it was trying to accomplish. The only reason I give The Dark Knight Rises the SLIGHT EDGE is because The Avengers just lacks any type of depth and I personally will always prefer a deeper film to a non-deep film if the overall quality of the two is this close. I would say The Avengers is the closest thing Marvel's come to making a 'flawless' film.Overall:A

3.Dredd:Great performance by Urban and an overall really intriguing action film. There are a few acting hicups from some of the smaller actors and the overall story is pretty basic, but it manages to get what they were going for without too many bumps in the road. Overall: B+

4. The Amazing Spiderman: Andrew Garfield IS Spiderman. The actors and origin story are much better than Raimi's however, once Peter becomes Spiderman the lack of a strong villain hurts the story a bit. Basically TAS has a better cast and a better origin, but Raimi's story post-origin was much better and his villain was much better. Still, TAS is greatly entertaining and a very solid origin film that promises very good sequels. Overall: B+

EDIT: To answer some of Comics' questions(and a few more I came up with):

Best Director:Chris Nolan
    Best Film:TDKR
    Best Cinematography:TDKR
    Best Visual Effects: The Avengers
    Score:TDKR
    Story:TDKR
    Action Scenes: The Avengers
    Overall Acting for full cast: TDKR
    Best Actor: Christian Bale(Andrew Garfield a very close second)
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johanson
    Best Supporting Actor: Tom Hardy
    Best Supporting Actress: Emma Stone(Anne Hathaway a very close second)
    Best Scene: Sewer Fight between Bane and Batman in TDKR

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  21. grout

grout Well-Known Member

DREDD
    I think i had the most fun with Dredd. Sounds weird but if I had to pick so far its more up my alley.

Dredd never takes his helmet off, good pace, to the point action, dark & gritty fun.

TDKR, Batman never seems to actually put his helmet on in the movie, too many characters, just found myself bored to be honest, . But its just my view.. All depends on what you like.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  22. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I agree with this.

23. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

Finally watched Dredd.

Here's my top:
    1. The Dark Knight Rises - great movie all around, even despite having some pace problems and plot holes.
    2. Dredd - low budget for this kind of production, but great fun overall.
    3. The Avengers - really great movie, but personally it's too childish for my taste.
    4. The Amazing Spider-Man - good comic book movie, beautiful with great main cast, but the story is too familiar + weak villain. Also, just as The Avengers, too kids-friendly.

Haven't seen Ghost Rider and Chronicle. And not going to.

24. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

TDKR just bare nudges out Avengers for me, though I admit my obvious bias. I also throw Dredd into a very close 3rd, nowhere near as epic or spectacular as the holders of the first two spots, but damn near as enjoyable to me. I'd tie Spidey and Chrincle after that, loved them both, and GR (while better than the first one) is a distant last.

25. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

You should check out Dredd in theaters if you can. Damn good and it needs the support.