Superman 3 vs Spiderman 3 vs X Men The Last Stand vs Batman Forever

Frodo

Avenger
Reaction score
Yeah , I know, another vs thread , but i'm interested in knowing your rankings , thoughts and comparisons of these films.

Which of these do you prefer? Which do you think is better? Which is your guilty pleasure?

You may not like any of them. If not, how would you rank them in terms of most tolerable.

I'd say....

Superman 3 - general concept is a solid one, just badly executed. Junkyard scene and Reeve performance are as ever superb.

Spider-man 3 - I'm a fan gotta say, take Venom out (which Raimi never wanted to begin with) and you have decent film.

Batman Forever - Absolute turgid dross.

X-Men : TLS - truly awful film, no redeeming features in my book.

Last edited:
Best to worst;

1. X-Men: TLS -- Never understood the hate. I've always enjoyed it.
2. Batman Forever -- Gets treated unfairly IMO, and lumped in with the atrocity that came after. And I thought Kilmer was great.
3. Superman III -- Reeve is great. The movie is all right, certainly not terrible (better than IV!).
4. Spider-Man 3 -- Without Venom, it's not bad.

I love all four movies, I do, but here is how I list them:

X-Men: The Last Stand: Guys, why the hate? A lot of complaints are harsh, the movie is really good and builds up properly on what came before it.

Spider-Man 3: A good movie, seriously good, even Venom is part of what works about it. It's like Alien 3: Assembly Cut, a good movie that is much better than its reputation.

Batman Forever: It has a lot of good ideas and some great action, but man is the execution hilariously wonky, and Val Kilmer is stiff both in and out of the mask. I certainly enjoy it more than Batman & Robin, which is a dumb fun film.

Superman 3: Somewhat mediocre, treads the line between good and bad, but leans more towards bad.

I'm not very familiar with Superman 3 but I don't think Spider-Man 3, BF and X3TLS are bad. All very flawed but they have a fair share of enjoyable and redeemable qualities.

Spider-Man 3 is definitely my favorite of the bunch, though.

For me, I find Batman Forever to be the most entertaining. If nothing else, Schumacher gave BF a unique style that makes it stand out from the crowd. The only real comparison is its far inferior sequel.

As for the rest, a case can definitely be made for Spider-Man 3 and depending on my mood I might just well go with it. There are pieces of a good film in SM3, but the flaws really stand out. TLS has some good ideas, but it is something of a rushed mess. The main difference between SM3 and TLS for me (since they have some similar issues) is that SM3 is such a better looking and directed film than TLS. You can still see Raimi's talent and effort on the screen, while TLS looks like it was directed by an amateur.

It has been years since I saw Superman 3, but I didn't like it at the time and would certainly have it bringing up the rear.

Last edited:
I would rank them as such:

Spider-Man 3 - it is a flawed movie, but plenty I like in here

X-Men: The Last Stand - The Dark Phoenix sucks and is overall rushed, but the Cure plot has some good elements and movie in general has great action

Batman Forever - Trash, but mildly amused by Dr. Chase Meridian. Funniest character in the movie for all the wrong reasons.

Superman III - Evil Superman is fun. Rest of the movie is nearly unwatchable.

Yeah , I know, another vs thread

Compared to most of the "vs" threads in this section lately, at least this one makes some kind of sense.

As for my ranking:

1. Spider-Man 3: Out of the four, this is the only one that isn't bad, just incredibly flawed.

2. Superman 3: Goofy as all bad place, but honestly, Chris Reeve gives a great Superman performance, Lana Lang is pretty good, Evil Superman manages to be iconic, and Clark vs Superman is one of the best scenes in the Donnerverse.

3. Batman Forever: There's a lot to hate in this, but I appreciate the attempt at giving Bruce a storyline, and I like Bruce and Dick's dynamic.

4. X-Men: The Last Stand: The absolute disrespect given to Cyclops. Their butchering of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Watered down Wolverine. Wasting the cure plot. Of the four films, this is the only one I truly dislike.

X-Men: The Last Stand: The absolute disrespect given to Cyclops. Their butchering of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Watered down Wolverine. Wasting the cure plot. Of the four films, this is the only one I truly dislike.
How so?

Compared to most of the "vs" threads in this section lately, at least this one makes some kind of sense.

As for my ranking:

1. Spider-Man 3: Out of the four, this is the only one that isn't bad, just incredibly flawed.

2. Superman 3: Goofy as all bad place, but honestly, Chris Reeve gives a great Superman performance, Lana Lang is pretty good, Evil Superman manages to be iconic, and Clark vs Superman is one of the best scenes in the Donnerverse.

3. Batman Forever: There's a lot to hate in this, but I appreciate the attempt at giving Bruce a storyline, and I like Bruce and Dick's dynamic.

4. X-Men: The Last Stand: The absolute disrespect given to Cyclops. Their butchering of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Watered down Wolverine. Wasting the cure plot. Of the four films, this is the only one I truly dislike.

Donner didn't direct Superman 3, just checking. He was well gone by then.

Yes but it's set in the movie series established by Richard Donner and thus it's set in the Donnerverse. Same as Quest for Peace, Supergirl, and Superman Returns (though on a different timeline in Returns' case, obviously).

I never claimed he did. It's well known at this point that Donner only completely directed the first movie.

It came from the phrase 'Donner-verse' which I was 'questioning' but I can see what was being said in the sense of actors / characters being continued from the original release. :up:

1. X-Men: TLS -- Never understood the hate. I've always enjoyed it..

X-Men: The Last Stand: Guys, why the hate? A lot of complaints are harsh, the movie is really good and builds up properly on what came before it.

You can take a comic book story and turn it on it's ear or re-envision it because of limited/finite cinema space to properly tell a story. Civil War, Infinity War, Batman Year One, etc. When it works, it works. When it doesn't, you get the TLS. They made the DP saga into a secondary story, taking out Cyclops and making Wolverine the main star. I HATED that part ever since I saw it and maybe it's because I was always a Cyclops fan but regardless, the story felt slapped together due to actor's limited availability and Fox wanting to meet deadlines.

You can take a comic book story and turn it on it's ear or re-envision it because of limited/finite cinema space to properly tell a story. Civil War, Infinity War, Batman Year One, etc. When it works, it works. When it doesn't, you get the TLS. They made the DP saga into a secondary story, taking out Cyclops and making Wolverine the main star. I HATED that part ever since I saw it and maybe it's because I was always a Cyclops fan but regardless, the story felt slapped together due to actor's limited availability and Fox wanting to meet deadlines.

I think about 3 directors prior to filming came & went in a very short period before settling on what they did so if it feels rushed, it was. For me, it's just bloody awful at every stage.

I enjoyed TLS in the cinema and I'm happy to stick it on every now and then. But fair enough, I hate feeling let down by a film.

IMO, The performance was missing the edge Wolverine had in the first two films, especially the first.
Doesn't feel different to me.

Cyclops was disrespected in the previous movies already anyway, the only real highlight of his appearances before Jean killed him was saving Logan and Rogue. And people still call the trilogy 'Wolverine and Friends' for a very specific and obvious reason.

Dark Phoenix Saga isn't the great thing it's hyped out to be, once the Shia'ar entered the picture things got very very stupid, and it ended up being one of the most convoluted stories of all time, and future retcons didn't help either. The Last Stand is a massive improvement.

I enjoyed TLS in the cinema and I'm happy to stick it on every now and then. But fair enough, I hate feeling let down by a film.
:highfive:

I enjoy Spider-Man 3 the most out of those movies. But I also enjoy X-Men 3, warts and all. Batman Forever has its moments.

Doesn't feel different to me.

Well, it definitely did to me. Both TLS and X-Men Origins were Jackman's weakest performances as Logan.

Cyclops was disrespected in the previous movies already anyway

You say that as if X1 or X2 treated him as bad as TLS did. They didn't. There's a reason why a lot of Cyclops fans dislike TLS in particular.

Spider-Man 3 isn't a bad movie actually, It works all right when it's not falling flat on its face.

Batman Forever has some good things going for it (solid Batman portrayal and a well-done version of the Robin origin story)

X-Men the Last Stand is a total mess which I actually wouldn't mind if it weren't so damn depressing.

Superman 3 is just sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"