Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that in the terms of Kal-El wanting to be able to have some sort of normality to his life among people is the reason that he adopts the Clark persona in Metropolis. Along with the fact that he does not want people to realise Clark is Superman, otherwise he can kiss any semblance of a normal life goodbye.
Plus as a reporter he can have his ear to the ground for where he is needed when something major occurs.
One could argue that he could just be Superman 24x7 and live in his Fortress of Solitude. But who wants to live their entire life cut off from all others, even if they are not the same species as yourself?
My take is that the only time we see the real Kal-El is when he is at his adopted parents farm in Smallville.
My feeling is that neither Clark or Superman is a disguise but facets of his character. And as I just mentioned it is only on the farm does his real character come through because he has nothing to hide there.

Now, I am not an expert on Superman lore through the last 70+ years, but this is my opinion/feelings on the matter.

BTW
Well responded HS. :)

That's pretty much how I feel.

I'm not of the 'Clark is the man, Superman's just what he can do' pursuasion either. There is this assumption on these boards that if you don't think Clark is a disguise, you think he's the real person.

Which just isn't the case for me.

It's just that since the very beginning of the comics, it's clear to me that neither persona he shows the public is his 'true self'. He is acting like Superman, or he is acting like Clark Kent.

Some people believe that Superman is everything he is, and Clark Kent is all fake...

Some people believe that Clark is everything he is and Superman is all fake...

I just think both of those opinions are blatantly ignoring the reality of the character.

Clark is very much the persona that he needs in order to have some semblance of life, be friends with people, keep grounded and connected. And it's not 'who he really is' because he has to hide his powers, he has to not draw attention to himself or be heroic because; he's split that side of himself into a second identity to protect himself and others around him - Superman.

Superman is a huge side of himself, but it's not ALL he is.

And to suggest that Clark is a complete creation, that he's completely fake, just seems mad to me.

Superman is such a powerful figure that he does not need to hide behind a cocky/arrogant attitude.
I do agree that he could/should(?) intimidate regular criminals along the lines of, "You know I could kill you with a flick of my finger... But you will suffer the consequences of your actions better by sitting in a jail cell for the next ten years."

Or something like that...

But I would really hate to see an always arrogant Superman.

That sounds creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"