Superman-DOOMSDAY; How it should have been done

Discussion in 'Misc. Superman Films' started by ubertroy, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ubertroy

ubertroy Well-Known Member

Although I liked Superman-DOOMSDAY, Im such a big Superman fan that it took me a while to realize that there are many things I DIDNT like about the movie.

I think everything was done well except the story itself. It really was not about DOOMSDAY.

First of all, Death of Superman and Return of Superman should be at least two different DVDs. Im SURE there are enough Superman fans who will buy them both (or ALL of them if they want to REALLY do it right and do about FOUR DVDs).

What I would like to have seen:

1. First and foremost, I would love to see how others, including heroes and villains, dealt with Superman's death. You have to let it SINK IN. How do the people of earth and it's many places, deal with such a tremendous loss.

There is fear because, if anything can do this to SUPERMAN, HOW SAFE ARE WE?

2. YOU GOTTA HAVE DOOMSDAY PLOW through a team of other heroes. This brings Superman's sacrifice to an entirely new level. It shows the sheer Magnitude of his battle and sacrifice.

3. Superman should NOT have come back to life so soon. I like the way he was brought back. Even the clone idea was good. However, he still should not have returned so soon.

WHAT COULD BE DONE

DO THE DAMN THING OVER!!!!

Seriously, I think there are enough fans out there who would buy it. I certainly would buy all CDs pertaining to the story.

Death of Superman
    and
    Return of Superman

should be told over AT LEAST TWO CDs

How do you see it?

2. fabman

fabman Well-Known Member

It should have been done, how they did. My only complaints are the short runtime (and I'm not talking 'bout stuff from the comic missing, just the runtime) and the score, especially the Superman theme, which sucked.

3. dr collossus

dr collossus I've been expecting you

I didn't like the music either, but I also didn't like the Superman-Lois relationship. I like the way it was handled in the cmoics; I think the trust and the revelation of his secret should come first, and I think that Clark would want Lois to have the relationship with him, not with a superficial disguise he adopts when he's flying around.

4. Superman-Prime

Superman-Prime Well-Known Member

Bruce Timm should have make three DVDs....

The Death of Superman
    A World Without Superman
    The Return of Superman

That's all. I loved Superman Doomsday.

5. Jochimus

Jochimus Autobot Slacker

I agree.

6. DrMylesOBoogie

DrMylesOBoogie Well-Known Member

I would have liked 'The Death And Return of Superman' to be an entire series of Justice League.

First couple of ep's could have the origin of Hank Henshaw but involving more of the league. Also introduce Hal Jordan who's been training GL recruits on Oa for the last few years. Subplot we see Lois is dating Clark. He reveals that he's Superman and proposes to her. The show Doomsday punching free at the end of an ep.

Have him fight take apart the league for a couple of ep' before killing Supe's. Have Hal return to earth for the funeral.

Then bring on a faithfull adaptation of the 'funeral for a friend' and 'Reign of the Supermen' arc.

7. ubertroy

ubertroy Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. A GREAT story could be made of the reaction people have to Superman's death.

8. GoogleMe94

GoogleMe94 Well-Known Member

ok, i actually only heard of this at target, but is superman doomsday worth seeing or even buying? im curious how it is since its really the only comic ive ever liked.

9. Jochimus

Jochimus Autobot Slacker

Well, in order to just sit through it you'd have to get past the fact that the entire "Reign Of The Supermen" portion of the whole Death and Return arc has been radically stripped down to a single story thread. (Though personally, I DO understand why Timm and Capizzi did that, and I can't really blame them.)

10. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex Well-Known Member

I rented the movie and while the fight between Supes and Doomsday is excellent a massive epic like this should have been told in a 2 hour running time, not enough time passed between Superman's death and return to see how Metropolis copes with the loss, and not even a mention of other DC heroes.

ubertroy's review is correct the movie is called Superman/Doomsday but the actual fight is within the first half hour and then it's like nobody cared how of why Doomsday was sent to Earth.

And it was certainly a better attempt next to Ultimate Avengers.

11. Gabe99

Gabe99 Well-Known Member

Newsarama July 21, 2017:
    DEATH OF SUPERMAN & REIGN OF THE SUPERMEN To Be Adapted As Two 'More Faithful' Animated Films