World Superman-DOOMSDAY; How it should have been done

ubertroy

Civilian
Reaction score
Although I liked Superman-DOOMSDAY, Im such a big Superman fan that it took me a while to realize that there are many things I DIDNT like about the movie.

I think everything was done well except the story itself. It really was not about DOOMSDAY.

First of all, Death of Superman and Return of Superman should be at least two different DVDs. Im SURE there are enough Superman fans who will buy them both (or ALL of them if they want to REALLY do it right and do about FOUR DVDs).

What I would like to have seen:

1. First and foremost, I would love to see how others, including heroes and villains, dealt with Superman's death. You have to let it SINK IN. How do the people of earth and it's many places, deal with such a tremendous loss.

There is fear because, if anything can do this to SUPERMAN, HOW SAFE ARE WE?

2. YOU GOTTA HAVE DOOMSDAY PLOW through a team of other heroes. This brings Superman's sacrifice to an entirely new level. It shows the sheer Magnitude of his battle and sacrifice.

3. Superman should NOT have come back to life so soon. I like the way he was brought back. Even the clone idea was good. However, he still should not have returned so soon.

WHAT COULD BE DONE

DO THE DAMN THING OVER!!!!

Seriously, I think there are enough fans out there who would buy it. I certainly would buy all CDs pertaining to the story.

Death of Superman
and
Return of Superman

should be told over AT LEAST TWO CDs

How do you see it?

It should have been done, how they did. My only complaints are the short runtime (and I'm not talking 'bout stuff from the comic missing, just the runtime) and the score, especially the Superman theme, which sucked.

I didn't like the music either, but I also didn't like the Superman-Lois relationship. I like the way it was handled in the cmoics; I think the trust and the revelation of his secret should come first, and I think that Clark would want Lois to have the relationship with him, not with a superficial disguise he adopts when he's flying around.

Bruce Timm should have make three DVDs....

The Death of Superman
A World Without Superman
The Return of Superman

That's all. I loved Superman Doomsday.

I would have liked 'The Death And Return of Superman' to be an entire series of Justice League.

First couple of ep's could have the origin of Hank Henshaw but involving more of the league. Also introduce Hal Jordan who's been training GL recruits on Oa for the last few years. Subplot we see Lois is dating Clark. He reveals that he's Superman and proposes to her. The show Doomsday punching free at the end of an ep.

Have him fight take apart the league for a couple of ep' before killing Supe's. Have Hal return to earth for the funeral.

Then bring on a faithfull adaptation of the 'funeral for a friend' and 'Reign of the Supermen' arc.

Bruce Timm should have make three DVDs....

The Death of Superman
A World Without Superman
The Return of Superman

That's all. I loved Superman Doomsday.

I could not agree more. A GREAT story could be made of the reaction people have to Superman's death.

ok, i actually only heard of this at target, but is superman doomsday worth seeing or even buying? im curious how it is since its really the only comic ive ever liked.

ok, i actually only heard of this at target, but is superman doomsday worth seeing or even buying? im curious how it is since its really the only comic ive ever liked.

Well, in order to just sit through it you'd have to get past the fact that the entire "Reign Of The Supermen" portion of the whole Death and Return arc has been radically stripped down to a single story thread. (Though personally, I DO understand why Timm and Capizzi did that, and I can't really blame them.)

I rented the movie and while the fight between Supes and Doomsday is excellent a massive epic like this should have been told in a 2 hour running time, not enough time passed between Superman's death and return to see how Metropolis copes with the loss, and not even a mention of other DC heroes.

ubertroy's review is correct the movie is called Superman/Doomsday but the actual fight is within the first half hour and then it's like nobody cared how of why Doomsday was sent to Earth.

And it was certainly a better attempt next to Ultimate Avengers.

Newsarama July 21, 2017:
DEATH OF SUPERMAN & REIGN OF THE SUPERMEN To Be Adapted As Two 'More Faithful' Animated Films
Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced the adaptation of the iconic death and return of the Superman as two separate feature-length animated movies.

Revealed at San Diego Comic-Con Friday night, Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen will follow an adaptation of Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, and the original Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay.

DC describes Gotham by Gaslight as "An adaptation of the popular 1989 tale that introduced us to a Victorian Era Dark Knight who was in pursuit of Jack the Ripper.

"Written by Brian Augustyn and drawn by Mike Mignola of Hellboy fame, Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is largely considered to be the very first 'Elseworlds' tale. At 48 pages, the original comic is relatively slim, meaning the movie version will offer an expanded version of the story, something that’s sure to delight fans of its cobblestone-paved world."

That will be followed in spring 2018 by Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, the first Suicide Squad movie set within the DC Universe Original Movies’ shared continuity.

DC notes that Batman: Assault on Arkham, the 2014 movie that featured the Suicide Squad was set within the Arkham video game continuity.

Hell to Pay will feature an original story and what’s promised to be "an amazing, though sadly not-yet-revealed, voice cast."

ater in 2018 will be Death of Superman.

"Adapting the legendary story of Superman’s fatal battle with Doomsday, this will actually be the second DC Universe Original Movie to adapt the material," says DC. "The first, 2007’s Superman: Doomsday, was the very first DC Universe Original Movie and greatly condensed and altered the original comic book event to fit within its 75-minute running time. The upcoming adaptation will be more faithful to the source material, much less condensed and will include many of the fan-favorite moments from the story that were left out of Doomsday."

Finally, in early 2019, Reign of the Supermen, completes the two-part adaptation.

"While we’ll have to wait for an official synopsis to learn all of the details, that name should be a familiar one to Superman fans and suggests we’ll be seeing the rise of the Superman alternates that took his place during the year after his death. (For those unfamiliar with the story, they were Steel, Cyborg Superman, Superboy and the Last Son of Krypton.) This part of the Death and Return of Superman was greatly simplified in Doomsday, which instead featured a single alternate Superman rather than the four we saw in the comics."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"