Comics Superman: For All Seasons

trustyside-kick

The Marine Marvel
Reaction score
I have heard great things about this Graphic Novel.

I love Jeph Loeb's writing, and when teamed up with Tim Sale is even better. I loved their work together on Batman: The Long Halloween, Batman: Haunted Knight, and Batman: Dark Victory.

I got a few questions though about Superman: For All Seasons

- Is majority of the book Clark growing up?
- Who is the villain in the book?
- Is there any sequels to Superman: For All Seasons that are by Loeb/Sale.

I have been thinking about buying it even though I do not read much Superman comics. Just something done by Loeb and Sale is hard to resist.

trustyside-kick said:
- Is majority of the book Clark growing up?

There are flashbacks to Smallville, but mostly it's set in Metropolis.

trustyside-kick said:
- Who is the villain in the book?

Luthor. Sort of. Part of the book is told from Luthor's POV.

trustyside-kick said:
- Is there any sequels to Superman: For All Seasons that are by Loeb/Sale.

No.

I might later on...but I just bought two other Graphic Novels and I do not like to purchase too many things in one month so I normally try to spread them out.

Yea that is what a lot of people have said. Is it sort of an origin story too?

trustyside-kick said:
Yea that is what a lot of people have said. Is it sort of an origin story too?

Yeah, it's sort of an origin story. It doesn't talk about Krypton much, but it shows Clark in Smallville and his earliest days in Metropolis.
But if you don't mind some contradictions it fits more as a tale from Supermans early years following the Birthright origin .

Okay. Well since I do not like to spend too much monthly I guess it will have to be a while til I consider getting it lol. I am more of a Batman fan and there are Graphic Novels as well as the TAS Volumes that I want to get first. :)

TheFalcon said:
Yeah, it's sort of an origin story. It doesn't talk about Krypton much, but it shows Clark in Smallville and his earliest days in Metropolis.
But if you don't mind some contradictions it fits more as a tale from Supermans early years following the Birthright origin .

No, it really doesn't. It was written after Man of Steel and was meant to be in the same continuity as Man of Steel.

The Question said:
No, it really doesn't. It was written after Man of Steel and was meant to be in the same continuity as Man of Steel.
well he did say "if you dont mind some contradictions." Yes, for all seasons was written to take place after MOS, but basically if you look at MOS and BR, they both cover his origin, becoming superman, his revelations about krypton, and luthor gets arrested. so with "some contradictions" it can take place after birthright.

It doesn't mention the revelation of Krypton at all, and Luthor was arrested in MoS.

The Question said:
It doesn't mention the revelation of Krypton at all, and Luthor was arrested in MoS.
I apologize if i wasnt clear, i meant that MOS and BR featured Kal-El's revelation that he's an alien from another planet, and that in the end of both, Luthor gets arrested. I was comparing MOS and BR to each other and how "with some contradictions" Superman for all Seasons could work with either.

The Question said:

Yeah, I know, but since Birthright is now the official origin I just mentioned that. It fits better after MoS, but if you're a new reader who's only read the Birthright origin then it can also be read after that. Of course, there would be some contradictions in the characters/stories, but you can find that between almost any stories.

Still, I think it's better to just ignore Birthright and read MoS and For All Seasons. Birthright throroughly ****s with continuity, and makes several aspects of post crisis Superman histroy (and post crisis history in general) make little sense. Making Birthright the nw origin was just a mistake on the part of DC, since it would require them to rewrite decades worth of continuity to make it fit.

Superman: Secret Identity
Superman: Kansas Sightings

Are both also very good.

I just finished reading For All Seasons, and it is definitely worth the read. It isn't so much of an origin story but it does flashback to his youth. I read it immediately after reading The Man of Steel, and I'm glad I did as those supplemented each other very well. I enjoyed FAS more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"