Superman: Godfall -- Anyone here read it? Any thoughts?

Milk Tray Guy

70s Man of Action
Reaction score
Just read this story for the first time. Thought it was okay...

I came away with very similar feelings to those I had after reading Superman: For Tomorrow. It was a nice idea, it looked great, and got off to an intriguing start; but by the point where the mystery was solved (roughly half-way through) I was finding it hard to stay interested (I guessed where the events were taking place too - but I'm sure I'm not alone in that). On top of that the climax felt pretty rushed. A real shame - I thought the premise had a lot of potential.

Anyone else feel the same/differently?

Last edited:
I thought it was very interesting and was a good starting point for future stories but sadly the characters in that story were for the most part never heard of again and wasted by Chuck Austin when they were used.

I thought it was very interesting and was a good starting point for future stories but sadly the characters in that story were for the most part never heard of again and wasted by Chuck Austin when they were used.

Do you know if any future stories were ever planned?

Do you know if any future stories were ever planned?
Preus was used afterwards for a brief time by Chuck Austin but Austin ruined him. I don't know if they planned to use them for any future stories mainly because after that they were gearing up for IC and then Johns and Donner took over Superman from there. So I really don't know what they had planned but I would've loved to have seen them use Lyla again. Preus could've been great but then they brought the real Zod back and there was really no more use for him after that.

I’ve started it a couple of times but just never have gotten into it enough to get past the first few issues. Beautiful art, but the story reminds me of a contrived late ‘80s/early ‘90s Stallone film. (Looking at you Judge Dredd & Demolition Man)

Preus was used afterwards for a brief time by Chuck Austin but Austin ruined him. I don't know if they planned to use them for any future stories mainly because after that they were gearing up for IC and then Johns and Donner took over Superman from there. So I really don't know what they had planned but I would've loved to have seen them use Lyla again. Preus could've been great but then they brought the real Zod back and there was really no more use for him after that.

I’ve started it a couple of times but just never have gotten into it enough to get past the first few issues. Beautiful art, but the story reminds me of a contrived late ‘80s/early ‘90s Stallone film. (Looking at you Judge Dredd & Demolition Man)

I know exactly what you mean.

Pretty good story and was Akira-influenced.

I liked the story, and I liked the Godfall costume ( though I'd prefer it in the traditional colors ).

plus, it featured art from Michael Turner, if I believe, and he was always one of my favorite artists.

I came away with very similar feelings to those I had after reading Superman: For Tomorrow. It was a nice idea, it looked great, and got off to an intriguing start; but by the point where the mystery was solved (roughly half-way through) I was finding it hard to stay interested (I guessed where the events were taking place too - but I'm sure I'm not alone in that). On top of that the climax felt pretty rushed. A real shame - I thought the premise had a lot of potential.

My feelings were about the same. Interesting concept, very underwhelming execution. The art was nice, though.

I feel differently. Godfall was quite cool. OK story but just cool and the change in the outfit was very fun. Too bad Preus wa not reused.
For Tomorrow was far better. Reading it issue after issue was really weird and cool. While re-reading it in TPB I understood a lot more and saw the consequences on the Superman myth. I think it's a very strong questions. What would Superman do if Earth exploded ? Doing an parallel answer to what his father did was a very impressive thing for me.
Now, I found the story/dialogues were sometimes too cryptic.
The only thing I did not like is the fact that Zod was "another" Zod. It makes the threat a bit empty. So when I read it, I always keep telling myself that it's the Zod I know somewhere in his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"