Superman Live Action Films Marathon

I don't think he was intimidating or charming enough, I have no issue with Robert Vaugn as an actor but he wasn't right here. Originally Frank Langella was cast but something happened and he couldn't do it, he'd have been much better.
The one we got sure doesn't have the charm that Gene Hackman oozes, that hurt how the character appeared on screen.
I have not seen any movie I can remember that has Frank Langella in an important enough role to be memorable to me, so I can't tell if I want to see him in Superman III.

Superman IV, Quest for Peace, sorry, should have been more clear.
I forgot it is an acronym for that. :O
Sure, I'll watch the weird unintentional comedy that used the comic font for the film title. No way am I watching Superman Returns while ignoring this one. :up:

The one we got sure doesn't have the charm that Gene Hackman oozes, that hurt how the character appeared on screen.
I have not seen any movie I can remember that has Frank Langella in an important enough role to be memorable to me, so I can't tell if I want to see him in Superman III.

Oh please, call yourself a fantasy fan ? :funny: Masters of the Universe

Frank Langella is a terrific actor, his favourite role of his own was as Skeletor in the Masters of the Universe and he's brilliant in that.

@Batmannerism Want to chime in?

I decided to do Superman IV and Superman Returns in one day, so I will not watch the extended cut of Superman Returns, which -as it is- is a little longer than 2:30 hours. Thankfully (for my idiotic decision, not for another reason), A Quest for Peace is pretty short given all the deleted material with the failed clone being cut out.

And this movie is co-written by Christopher Reeve. I'm sorry man. :csad:

I'm not going to complain about voices in space here, cause I did not complain about it when Ursa did it in Superman II. I will comment that Superman heard this call for help (and singing) when we know he did not hear it in the previous movie.

Christopher Reeve sure must have felt it liberating to walk on set in civilian clothes without the need to put on glasses.

I don't think he sold the farm in the comics, so I'm not a fan of this plot that will serve nothing in the story, or the invisibility vision that makes his ship invisible.

Hey look, two Lex Luthors in one scene.

Ride wasted, let's walk home nephew. Or steal the prison guards car, the guards who clearly should have been killed, instead of being Looney Tunes characters around explosions.

Hey look, a train with no back-up driver, and no visible emergency that is suddenly an emergency cause the script magically told the cast (Lois Lane and the extras) that they need to panic, and fire crew were straight on the ready.

"Daddy holds all your contracts". Daddy shouldn't be a word said in a meeting.

"All trips are cancelled", the trips the company we bought paid for are cancelled, it's not going to be a loss.

Jeremy, you will be ignored completely after two scenes following this one. We won't miss you buddy.

An explosion proof strand of hair from the bullet proof and blade proof alien can be cut off very easily by a pair of tree trimming scissors.

New boss is quite the seductress, very professional.

Reading Jeremy's letter sounds like Christopher Reeve was trying to rap. I like it when I hear superheroes sing.

SUPERMAN SAYS: DROP DEAD KID
Professional journalism

*Superman: "Hey council of elders that did not care to listen to my dad's warnings, I do not know why dad gave me a crystal than make crystals with knowledge and advice from you guys on a planet you have no care and maybe no knowledge about, but I know you are here, so I'll ask for your advice about something I did not take your advice for before today.
Should I help people of this planet with my powers?"
**Council: "Nah"
*Superman: "Thank you for nothing. I will threaten the life of the lady I have a crush on after sulking over your words, and let her know I'm Superman one more time just to talk a bit, and then give her the memory bye bye kiss again."

When comics handled matters like this, it was Public Service Announcements that had no weight to the continuity, and remind us that things being fixed in comics won't be fixed in real life. Making a superhero movie specifically about this topic is not the wrong choice to make, but it wasn't handled properly for this movie.

They really weren't trying hard enough with their green screen effects, some shots honestly belong to Mortal Kombat Annihilation school of quality cropping of shots.

Superman meeting with Jeremy and heading to the U.N is an awesome scene in one of the stupidiest superhero movies, a charmingly stupid movie.

Should I ask why once he got out of prison, Lex Luthor suddenly has an expensive penthouse and can afford everything else?

Should I ask how the army did not recognize a famous villain just cause he's in a uniform and shades?

"Nuke-you-lar", says the genius mad scientist, that somehow managed to get his material in a nuke-you-lar missile nobody he knows touched, and nuclear fire did not burn genetic material in there.

At least the gym stuff is kinda funny.

Nuclear Man looks like a buffed up Hayden Christensen, dressed as a sleeveless prototype Sentry outfit.

Dinner party is both cringe-worthy and funny.

Best bit about Superman IV ? The very fact that they thought Milton Keynes could pass for a major American City......goooood laaaaaawwwwd. If some of you have not been to MK in the UK, it would like trying to make a Florida swamp look like Middle Earth on a budget of 50p.

Superman is too playful here, double dates with him. :nono:
Best bit about Superman IV ? The very fact that they thought Milton Keynes could pass for a major American City......goooood laaaaaawwwwd. If some of you have not been to MK in the UK, it would like trying to make a Florida swamp look like Middle Earth on a budget of 50p.
This is interesting to know. :hehe:

Heat vision sudden cooking that doesn't burn the duck, or any of the doors between the duck and Superman.

How did he ring the doorbell without being there? LOL

Thank you for cutting this crap short, Mr. Luthor. But wait, Superman alone can hear you, is he also the only person able to see you? What? How?

Nuclear Man returns, and nonsense ensues.

Superman
with Silver Surfer's power cosmic of fixing, in his eye instead of hand.

I'm too busy questioning everything to laugh right now.

I'm too confused I don't even have questions about any of the nonsense with the battle, the scratch, the effects looking worse than they do in some of the 60s Star Trek episodes, the weird stop motion, everyone knowing the cape not being a replica, how quick they all jumped to the conclusion that Superman died......

I have no questions, all I have is blank, emotionless stares, that hold me back from laughing.

I think I'll save Superman Returns for tomorrow, and continue reading Superman comics instead.

I love Superman IV, bad as it is it’s got some wonderful redeeming factors. Reeve is great as always, the scenes back at the Kent farm are great and we actually get Superman throwing Nukes into the Sun. The strongest aspect of the film is the score which is amazing.

I love that moment between Lois and Clark in the apartment when he was sick where she recognized his as Superman for the final time, and this time there was no memory erasing kiss.

It's odd that the guy powered by the sun, the -and they said it in the movie- largest nuclear reactor in the galaxy, can be knocked down by another guy and poisoned because... he has some sun powers in his cells as well, but you can defeat him with an umbrella.

In another watch this would be entertaining, but not this time.

I’m still hopeful that we will one day gets Superman’s II, III and IV extended on the Warner Archive releases. The TV cuts for this films were all longer and I remember IV had a great scene where Superman saves a child (played by his real life daughter) in a scene with a tornado.

S-A, you were talking of the 'extended' cut of SR last page, my version within the Silver Tin Collection only has those deleted scenes (the Krypton opening) separate to the main film, is there a version where it's all integrated then ?

S-A, you were talking of the 'extended' cut of SR last page, my version within the Silver Tin Collection only has those deleted scenes (the Krypton opening) separate to the main film, is there a version where it's all integrated then ?
I think so, yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"