• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

  • Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

World Superman Lives-Cancelled 1998 Movie

"Iron Man"

Sidekick
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,319
Reaction score
0
Points
31
en.wikipedia.org/Wiki/Superman_Lives

Think they might use it for a "Returns" sequel?

Sounds like it'd be a good "Man of Steel" movie.
 
Don't think it will be used, Smith's script is a bit too geeky for the mainstream market. Also, the Death/Return story would need to take place over several movies, although I do think the Superman pretenders idea from Return would have been a better setting for 'Returns than the whole 'The world doesn't need Superman Anymore' thing.
 
They could use the title but not the story.

THat is what Tony...I mean "Iron Man" thinks :)

That is a great ttitle but I doubt it could fit a story for it. They coulds till use it though.
 
Iron Man said:
en.wikipedia.org/Wiki/Superman_Lives

Think they might use it for a "Returns" sequel?

Sounds like it'd be a good "Man of Steel" movie.

everything about Superman Lives sucked ass. thank god nothing ever came of it.
 
Catman said:
Did anyone read this: http://www.agonybooth.com/forum/topic2730.htm

It's like an expanded version of Cinescape's article on the film.

I already knew about that before, but I read anyway. it's a good read, but like some pointed out on that thread, the guy is just plain f***in wrong when he says there were many people supporting this.
 
I'd love to see Superman Lives! and especially Cage as Superman, just because they'd be so different to the norm.
 
Yeah Nicolas Cage's Superman would have been interesting.

He must really have wanted to do it since he named his son Kal-El and stuff.

Some of the Superman Lives/Reborn ideas were pretty good they were just written poorly.
 
boywonder13 said:
Yeah Nicolas Cage's Superman would have been interesting.

He must really have wanted to do it since he named his son Kal-El and stuff.

Some of the Superman Lives/Reborn ideas were pretty good they were just written poorly.

I think some of it would have been insane genius - Burton's approach to Superman as a confused alien who cannot cope with his messiah status, everyone wanting him, trying to touch him, begging for him to bless their sick child, all the time. That would have been fascinating.

And Cage as Superman. How could you not want to see that? Whether it's true to the comics or not....Cage as Superman!!

The bad stuff would inevitably the story, or lack of it with Burton, the action - not Burton's strong point either - and the nonsense John Peters shoe-horned in.

Superman Lives! would have been a spectacular, mezmerizing, unique mess.
 
Kevin Roegele said:
And Cage as Superman. How could you not want to see that?

cagesupes.jpg


does that answer your question? ;)
 
JackBauer said:
cagesupes.jpg


does that answer your question? ;)

LOL, no, Cage has several really weird and cool suits made for him, and a traditional red and blue suit, 90's style, and he actually did costume fittings so there are photographs in existance of (more-or-less) what he would have looked like as Superman.
 
Maybe it's just that manip but I dont think Cage would've done Superman justice. I do like some of what got out on Superman Lives (the logo especially) before it got canned though

here are some of what got into production before the project was abandoned.
Supes in his battle armor
Superman_battle.jpg


and this was going to be the official logo, not the one on the poster (kinda like how the symbol on the poster is different than the one reeve actually wore )
gilroyslives.jpg


concept art
small_haraldbelker_supermanlivesconcept.jpg


the teaser poster (movie got far enough into production that dozens of these were shipped to movie theatures before the plug got pulled)
livesposter.jpg


Kevin Smith's script for those who would like to read it
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Comet/2181/smith.txt
 
I remember printing out the entire Smith script at college - on college paper, on college time, lol - and telling the helpful librarian that it was okay, I wrote it for English Lit. She knew my name was Kevin so believed me. Oh, those were golden years.
 
Kevin Roegele said:
LOL, no, Cage has several really weird and cool suits made for him, and a traditional red and blue suit, 90's style, and he actually did costume fittings so there are photographs in existance of (more-or-less) what he would have looked like as Superman.

the costumes might've looked good (not the ones I've seen though, like Frankensupes), but Cage just doesn't look like Superman to me. it's just not there. hell, the guy has a major hairline problem, and when they try to fix it (like in Ghost Rider) it looks ridiculously obvious!
 
I have mixed feelings towards the project. Tim Burton came up with some great visuals but when your read about the plot and all that it sounds horrible. With a better script it could have been an awesome film. But, oh well, we're getting Superman Returns which will most likely be an awesome film. Hopefully they will atleast cover this all history on DVD. It will be great if they got interviews from Kevin Smith and Tim Burton. On the B89 DVD they had interviews with Tom Mankewich and Sean Young who were only involved with the project for a short time.
 
Catman said:
I have mixed feelings towards the project. Tim Burton came up with some great visuals but when your read about the plot and all that it sounds horrible. With a better script it could have been an awesome film. But, oh well, we're getting Superman Returns which will most likely be an awesome film. Hopefully they will atleast cover this all history on DVD. It will be great if they got interviews from Kevin Smith and Tim Burton. On the B89 DVD they had interviews with Tom Mankewich and Sean Young who were only involved with the project for a short time.

hell, with all the history behind this project, they could make a whole movie out of it, a la Lost In La Mancha.
 
Lost in la Mancha? Wasn't that the Johnny Depp film? Well that's different because they actually had footage. I doubt they have any footage, man.
 
Lost in la Mancha? Wasn't that the Johnny Depp film? Well that's different because they actually had footage. I doubt they have any footage, man.
 
Catman said:
Lost in la Mancha? Wasn't that the Johnny Depp film? Well that's different because they actually had footage. I doubt they have any footage, man.

it's the same thing. it's a documentary about failed attempts to get a movie done. in Lost In La Mancha's case, Terry Gilliam's attempts to make The Man Who Killed Dom Quixote.
 
I think Superman Lives could've been good, especially with Burton, Smith, and Cage all involved.
 
That movie would have probably destoyed any chances of a new Superman franchise starting.

It would be nice if they have pictures of Cage dressed as Superman on the SR DVD. They need to put them out into the world in some way, shape, or form.
 
Burton and Jon Peters don't have a ****ing clue about what makes Superman great. i can't really stand Kevin Smith, either, but i appreciate his love for the character and the bull$hit he had to go through on this project. what a ****ing mess this thing would've been. glad it got $hit-canned.

also, lol at that nic cage expression. the guys behind that manip must've had it in for Cage as Superman.
 
pwl4life said:
Supes in his battle armor
Superman_battle.jpg

I read somewhere that this is Superman's official suit for Superman Lives.
I do like this costume, it looks pretty cool.:up:
 
Is it me, or does Cage look like the "Evil" Drunk Superman from Superman III?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"