World Superman Lives-Cancelled 1998 Movie

STC said:
I read somewhere that this is Superman's official suit for Superman Lives.
I do like this costume, it looks pretty cool.:up:

Supes was going to have the traditional red,blue and yellow suit from the comics for the begining of the movie, and this was going to be the suit used for the end. basically in the script the eradicator was almost like a living being he would wear like a suit (think venom almost) and this suit minus the cape and "S" was what he'd be wearing after he seperated from the eradicator, eraticator would sacrifice himself and throw the sharp poned \S/ and it would attach to the front of the suit and then supes would fly and grab the cape from the Superman memorial statue and thus he'd end up looking like this for the final battle.

I like the black suit a little bit, but I'd go with traditional red/blue/yellow.

Thanks for posting Kevin Smith's script pwl4life. There's alot I'd change, but it definitely had it's moments. The best part was that there were 3 dc supervillians in addition to Lex, I liked the brief scene in the first act with Deadshot in particular. Batman's speach at the funeral was a nice touch also, though I'd have been more subtle and used Bruce Wayne instead.

Only one thing that really bothered me. Who the F#<% is L-ron and why does a space robot continually throw out cheesy oneliners laced with contemporary Earth slang? I'll take Otis from the original Superman films any day, although I'm not a big fan of giving villians or thier henchmen/sidekicks a significant share of a film's comic relief.

Wally West said:
Only one thing that really bothered me. Who the F#<% is L-ron and why does a space robot continually throw out cheesy oneliners laced with contemporary Earth slang? I'll take Otis from the original Superman films any day, although I'm not a big fan of giving villians or thier henchmen/sidekicks a significant share of a film's comic relief.

blame Jon Peters... simple as that.

JackBauer said:
blame Jon Peters... simple as that.

yeh, he wanted a gay robot, polar bears and superman not to fly.

Kevin smith will actully sign copies of that script with the message "F*@K Jon Peters, Love Kevin Smith"

You people want to see Nicholas Cage play Superman yet despise Brandon Routh?

You're all despicable.

WhatsHisFace said:
You people want to see Nicholas Cage play Superman yet despise Brandon Routh?

You're all despicable.

Don't be ridiculous. The only person who wants to see Nicholas Cage play Superman is Nicholas Cage. And I don't know about anyone else but I've never met Brandon Routh so how could I possibly despise him?

yup, doomsday was the one that killed Superman

"In fact, the fans did a total 180 and started supporting the script, proclaiming that change is good and so long as Superman himself stays the same personality-wise, any change WB makes is OK by them. Pretty soon, those opposed to the "re-imagining" were reduced to a much-mocked and derided minority. (The fans also started voicing claims that the traditional Superman "has had enough of a chance and is now a failure," and that these changes were just what the doctor ordered to make the character a sensation again. Any criticisms of the project were condemned by the fans as ignorant, ignoble, needlessly negative and faithless, and "being afraid of change." Worse still, many fans adopted the attitude that anyone unhappy enough with WB’s plans to avoid the Superman movie has no right to utter one word of complaint about the project, that you can only complain about the movie so long as you go to see it anyway—in simpler language, you must be a two-faced, spineless WB tool in order for your opinions to be respected."
http://www.agonybooth.com/forum/topic2730.htm
Is This true? Who of you liked JJ Abrams/McG's vision?

Tim Burton's Superman Lives, loosley based on the Death and Return of Superman comics, would have been awesome. Joel Schumacher's Warner Brothers film Batman & Robin in 1997 killed the Superman Lives movie. Superman Lives was going to be an expensive movie and Warner Brothers executives were afraid after Schumacher screwed up the Batman franchise. Warner Brothers were cautious. It was going to be an expensive movie. So at the time in 1997 Warner Brothers had a choice. Superman Lives or Wild Wild West directed by Barry Sonnenfeld and starring Will Smith, and Jon Peter's and Warner Brothers opted for that and canned this one. Warner Brothers chairman Bob Dailey said "When the budget started geting out of control, thats when we decided to pull the plug." Designer Bradford Richardson said "I came into work the Monday after Batman & Robin had premiered and the plug had been pulled on our project." Superman Lives script was written by Kevin Smith, Wesley Strick and Dan Gilroy (adding a slightly darker version of Kevin Smith's script), Tim Burton directing, Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, Courtney Cox as Lois Lane and Nicolas Cage as Superman.

Pre-production art for Superman Lives when Tim Burton was working on the project.
ddheads.jpg
dd01.jpg

sm01.jpg

Braniac's alien tech suit.
Brainiac.JPG

Doomsday looks like ass and the Brainiac suit is uninspired Alien Queen $hit.

I think Doomsday looked pretty good he just looks a lot different than the comic version. He has no "bony protousions".

Darn I really wanted tos ee a Superman Movie in 1998. That would have been cool. Instead of wating 8 more years! :(

Doomsday looks like ass and the Brainiac suit is uninspired Alien Queen $hit.

:rolleyes: Heh.
Superman Lives would have been totally new and different for a Superman film and awesome in my opinion.
Maybe Superman Returns uninspired Superman The Movie nostalgia, with the old John Williams score re-used and the old Marlon Brando lines (from the dead) and so on, will be more to your likeing.
brando-jor-el.jpg

SingItWithMeNow said:
Who of you liked JJ Abrams/McG's vision?

Not I. JJ Abrams/McG's Superman FlyBy project (2001-03), where Krypton doesn't explode and is just like Naboo in Star Wars, Jimmy is gay, Superman fights using Matrix-style martial arts and Luthor is in the CIA, can fly and also fights using Matrix-style martial arts, and so on, would have not been a Superman movie at all. Just a Star Wars/Matrix rip-off. JJ Abrams script changed way to much Superman mythology. McG wanted Johnny Depp as Luthor, Topher Grace as gay Jimmy, Selma Blair as Lois and Henry Cavill as Superman.
Look, it's a Star Wars rip-off Krypton cloud car (Superman FlyBy art):
pipoca_news_supermanreturns_desenhosdeproducao02.jpg

top.gif

Nick Cage right after he did con air.. he was buff as ball. also that was the same time period when superman had long hair.. so yeah it could have worked

Sorry, as much as I like Tim Burton..... he's not the right guy at all for Superman. The article presented makes Burton out to be an ass. He's not. But he's easily pushed around, and with John Peters, that's not a good idea to have Burton around, because Peters will get Burton to think that his crap is a good idea.

Now, Burton was great for Batman (Even with the variation he brought to the character) because what Burton likes is naturally in sync with what Batman generally is. But Burton was going to try to make Superman into Batman with powers. And that doesn't work. Superman is supposed to be the polar opposite of Batman.

Thank goodness this didn't get made. Burton's stuff would be great for an Elseworlds graphic novel.... but not a movie. Superman films must be approached as Richard Donner did, and that's what Bryan Singer is doing.

theBat-Man said:
:rolleyes: Heh.
Superman Lives would have been totally new and different for a Superman film and awesome in my opinion.
Maybe Superman Returns uninspired Superman The Movie nostalgia, with the old John Williams score re-used and the old Marlon Brando lines (from the dead) and so on, will be more to your likeing.

No...a Superman movie more to my liking is one that's faithful and respectful to who Superman is and what he symbolizes.

I'll take this:
supes2.jpg

Over this:
supermanrebornLoRes.jpg

Any day of the week. :up:

are you guys seriously saying Nic Cage could have made a good Superman? this is a no-brainer: HE IS BALDING FOR F***S SAKE!!! AND LOOKS RIDICULOUS WITH A WIG!!!! (say hello to "Johnny Blaze")

and bat-man, I suggest you watch that Kevin Smith video. Superman Lives "would have been totally new and different for a Superman film" just as well as Abrams' version. if "new and different" is that Superman Scissorhands crap, I'll stick to a " uninspired Superman The Movie nostalgia". at least that's Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"