Superman Lives-Cancelled 1998 Movie

Discussion in 'Misc. Superman Films' started by "Iron Man", Jan 2, 2006.

1. fabman

fabman Registered

Kevin Smith's script was good. Tim Burton's vision COULD HAVE BEEN GOOD but I didn't really want a zombie Supes.

2. Kevin Roegele

Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

It was good, it would have made a very intresting film. It reflected the 90's comics, so we would have seen a John Byrne-esque Superman, with self doubts, and perhaps the longer hair as well.

3. ReevesFan

ReevesFan Guest

Actualy he looks like the goofy hired thug that poses as Superman in one of the classic 1930's cartoons. If anyone knows what episode I'm talking about, they should be able to see the similarity. He just looks like a goofy hired thug named buggsy or something for the mob back in the 30's. Thank god he didn't get the role, or that would have really killed Superman.

4. SUPERSEBAS

SUPERSEBAS Registered

5. batman strikes

batman strikes Registered

Here are three manips of Nicolas Cage as Superman. I think this gives us a better idea on what the suit would of looked like. Remember when burton was on the project the suit were going to be made out rubber like Batman.

Edit: The links are not working sorry

6. pwl4life

pwl4life Registered

links don't work

7. batman strikes

batman strikes Registered

I going to find the pics.

8. PSU442

PSU442 Guest

9. Mr. Socko

Mr. Socko Registered

With all due respect to Tim Burton, this movie would have sucked.

10. TheCalling

TheCalling Man of Steel

I totally agree.

And i wonder why Cage was ever up for the role? I mean he's a cool actor and all but he's no Superman, not even close.
    Makes me realize that Brandon's one hell of a catch.:D

11. theBat-Man

theBat-Man Creature of the night

Again, that's the same thing they said about Keaton before Batman came out.

12. boywonder13

boywonder13 Registered

They also said the same about:

- Chrsitopher Reeve
    - Brandon Routh
    - Tobey maguiree

- and many more actors for different things

Lets just say Cage's Superman would have been interesting!:supes: :up:

13. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

Correct me if I'm wrong here,but superman would not have flown in this film correct?and also, he would not have worn the traditional suit either right?That would not have been a superman movie at all.Sounds more like Edward scissorhands to me.each to there own I suppose.

14. theBat-Man

theBat-Man Creature of the night

Correct you if your wrong? You are wrong. He would have flown in the movie before he dies, then after his resurrection he is virturally powerless and wears the Kryptonian suit.
    [​IMG]
    Then the K suit would disintergrate to reveal Superman in an update of his traditional blue suit.

[​IMG]

15. Katsuro

Katsuro Registered

After reading the wikipedia article, there's only one redeeming quality that entire film would've had...

Micheal Keaton's Bruce Wayne speaking at Superman's funeral. Seriously, i'm not even the biggest Burtman fan (get it? Burton and Batman, i just made that up!), but even I think that would've been awesome to see.

16. Lightning54SC

Lightning54SC Registered

thank GOD we didnt have to witness that crap..... i still have shivers looking at that!

i will admitt i kinda like the costume but NOT ON CAGE!

17. buggs0268

buggs0268 Registered

Because at the time he was hot property. He had won an Oscar for LEAVING LAS VEGAS, and was a box office draw for THE ROCK and CON AIR.

18. Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero Ice Cold

cage was pretty buff when this movie was in development hell. i think its kinda ridiculous to have him in a molded suit. i hated the idea of cage as superman, but i think he would've done the role tons of justice. he's a megafan! he named his kid KAL-EL for god's sake!

19. Binker

Binker Registered

I feel like I should make my own version of Superman Lives just using the pre-production art and nothing else.

20. boywonder13

boywonder13 Registered

http://www.freewebs.com/superman-5-archives/index.htm

Here is the Superman 5 Projects webstie that I am making with scripts, scripts reviews, project historys and more!!! From Cannon Film's (Pre WB) Superman V with an Ecological theme (much like Superman IV had a theme) to Batman vs. Superman and Superman Flyby!

With an exclusive review of Superman:The New movie script which would have been a sequel to the Superboy TV series adn also the first II reeve movies Here's an excerpt:
    It's action packed, and feels like Superman when you read it. It's written by Cary Bates and Mark Jones. Bates is a former Superman comic book writer, and both he and Jones were script editors/writers on the now defunct Superboy TV series. It's very faithful to the mythos, and all the characters we love (Superman/Clark, Lois, Perry, Jimmy) are there. The script comes to 136 pages long and is dated July 23 1990.

The earliest battle scene reminded me of later Superman scripts (those I mentioned above). It's clear that later writers must have at least been shown this script when they were hired to write their Reborn/Lives drafts. Brainiac, at the script's beginning, is the robot he was in the 80s comic books, later becomes the green-skinned humanoid that appeared in the comics prior to his transforming into a robot, and later reverts back to his robotic form. He has a sidekick on his ship, called Kosmo, also from Brainiac's planet of Colu. Early scenes between Brainiac and Kosmo are a little humorous, not campy per se, but they strangely work better than perhaps my description implies. They are are eerily reminiscent of similar scenes in Poirier and Smith's scripts, though they took the humour too far.

The script is clearly a sequel to the Salkind produced/Christopher Reeve starring Superman movies (which excludes Superman IV, as that was made by Cannon Pictures). In that I mean, Martha Kent is alive and Jonathan Kent is not (as we saw in Superman The Movie), and there are flashback scenes from STM.* The Daily Planet gang seem to be the same as we saw in the Reeve movies, except Clark is more in line with the current comic book version of the character (ie. not a nerd).

21. boywonder13

boywonder13 Registered

email me at [email protected] if you would like to help in some way! (ex. scripts, old rumors etc.)

22. Kevin Roegele

I think that's as close as we've ever seen to what Cage would have looked like. There were arguments about a hairpiece, I recall Cage not wanting to wear one.

23. Kevin Roegele

Superman Lives! would make a fantastic Elseworlds graphic novel or mini-series.

I'd love to see Lives! as a version of Superman, not the version of Superman. Superman doesn't have as much leeway as Batman; Bats can be gothic, gritty, superheroic or a detective. Supes is less flexible. Which is why going all Edward Scissorhands/Borg and angst on him doesn't sound like a good idea for a major movie. I'd love to see it in some form though.

24. ChrisBaleBatman

ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

Yeah.....Bats is open to so many different takes.

Superman isn't.