World Superman Lives-Cancelled 1998 Movie

Every Superman film does not have to be light and campy like the Donner films with Clark Kent bubbling like Jerry Lewis, the Luthor and Otis Abbott and Costello routines. I love the Fleischer's Superman animation from 1941-1944 and the first 26 episodes of the Adventures of Superman TV show from 1951 with the dark, shadowy Film Noir atmosphere.
Burton's Superman Lives would have been Mars Attacks/Planet of the Apes style sci-fi. Not Batman/Edward Scissorhands style gothic. Superman Lives is closer to Superman and the Mole Men weird sci-fi (my favourite Superman movie), then the Donner/Christopher Reeve movies.

supsatmm-1s.jpg

nicolas cage couldnt play any form of superman, he doesnt have the actual build or hair to play superman

Also he wouldnt be able to actwith the diveristy routh can between clark and superman

Nicolas Cage was buff enough. Watch Con Air, the Rock, etc. He had enough hair.

Nicolas Cage is a diverse actor. From comedies like Honeymoon in Vegas, to serious action like Con Air, to that weird Elvis like guy in Wild at Heart by David Lynch. Diversity.

theBat-Man said:
Nicolas Cage was buff enough. Watch Con Air, the Rock, etc. He had enough hair.

Nicolas Cage is a diverse actor. From comedies like Honeymoon in Vegas, to serious action like Con Air, to that weird Elvis like guy in Wild at Heart by David Lynch. Diversity.

sure for con air he was but the superman build is in a whole different league

its easy to diverse between comedic and serious roles, clark kent, kal-el and superman it far harder to go between

Cage was buff enough for Superman.
ncageap.jpg

Cage is a diverse actor and he understood the different between Kent and Superman without trying to just copy Chris Reeve's performance like Roth. Cage is a Superman comics fan himself. He named own son Kal-El.

theBat-Man said:
Cage was buff enough for Superman.
ncageap.jpg

Cage is a diverse actor and he understood the different between Kent and Superman without trying to just copy Chris Reeve's performance like Roth. Cage is a Superman comics fan himself. He named own son Kal-El.

naming your son"kal-el" doesnt make you suited for a superman role.

he would have butchered the role. look at that hairline.

LOL, back to his hair. Cage had enough hair for Superman. They could just style his hair and giving him the little curl.
niccage111.jpg
116_4_1001.jpg

admittedly if you look at the back of the soundtrack by hanz zimmer for the Rock... there's this picture of Nick Cage when he's pulling out those VX2 green glass balls and his hair is PERFECTLY styled like an older more broad forehead Superman... seriouslly the way it waves and goes back, it's perfect... hell even his head is in the perfect superman pose with the lighting... If I can scan the pic I will... or lemme try to find that on the net... he looked very much like Supes there

This could've potentially been a kick ass film HAD THEY NOT effed with Kevin Smith's original script, gotten Cage and hired an altogether different director... it would've been an excellent film imo

for those who think a Burton 'Supes' film would of been good, please read this. It's a great recap of the Superman V fiasco over the years...

http://www.agonybooth.com/forum/topic2730.htm

I apoligize if this link is already in this thread somewhere.... but this thread has been around so long I'm not sure if I've seen it pop up here...

theBat-Man said:
LOL, back to his hair. Cage had enough hair for Superman. They could just style his hair and giving him the little curl.
niccage111.jpg
116_4_1001.jpg

damn that pic just confirms that he really hasnt got the superman face, or hair.

PSU442 said:
for those who think a Burton 'Supes' film would of been good, please read this. It's a great recap of the Superman V fiasco over the years...

I apoligize if this link is already in this thread somewhere.... but this thread has been around so long I'm not sure if I've seen it pop up here...

Damn....just,Damn

Aarowned said:
damn that pic just confirms that he really hasnt got the superman face, or hair.

Actually, he does have the classic Superman face, the narrow eyes and eyebrows, the broad forehead, chiseled features, he just doesn't have the unrealistically big wide Dick Tracy jaw. Neither did Warren Beatty as Dick Tracy, or Michael Keaton as Batman, because it's exaggerated artistically.

theBat-Man said:
Actually, he does have the classic Superman face, the narrow eyes and eyebrows, the broad forehead, chiseled features, he just doesn't have the unrealistically big wide Dick Tracy jaw. Neither did Warren Beatty as Dick Tracy, or Michael Keaton as Batman, because it's exaggerated artistically.

no he doesnt, reeve and routh do.

he cant even compare to them.

Cage was not even trying to compare to Chris Reeve and that version of Superman/Clark Kent, just as Keaton was not trying to be like Adam West and that version of Batman/Bruce Wayne.

theBat-Man said:
Cage was not even trying to compare to Chris Reeve and that version of Superman/Clark Kent, just as Keaton was not trying to be like Adam West and that version of Batman/Bruce Wayne.

i never said he was trying to.

but face the facts if you enter the franchise your gonna be compared no matter what, and cage would have looked like a field mouse compared to reeves.

And adam west never was a muscley batman, half the shows you could see his belly hanging out.

Cage would have been controversial.
Keaton is still controversial as Batman.

cage approached Peters and Burton because he was a huge fan and wanted to play LEX LUTHER.... Peters And Burton decided to cast him as Superman (to be controversal.) Even Cage himself was perplexed by this... and now laughs about it.

PSU442 said:

Most of that is rumor and gossip. A rumor was that Tim Burton had a problem with the casting of Cage. Tim Burton said "No, that was a done deal. I mean, that's why I wanted to do it. I love him. That's what people said about Michael Keaton for Batman."
Whoever wrote that article was trying to make Burton out to be a careless pompous ass who just wanted to make Superman into Batman. That's Jon Peters.
anti-jonpeters-poster1.jpg

Burton and Peters are not friends. Jon Peters gave Burton a hard time during the filming of Batman in '89. Jon Peters didn't even want Danny Elfman to do the music to Batman. Superman would have flown in Burton's Superman Lives with no "Supermobile".
Tim Burton said "I had been working on the project for a year, and it didn't happen. I basically worked very hard. I made the movie; we just didn't film it.
You`d have to ask Warner Bros, but I think—and this is only my opinion, of course—that it wasn't filmed because it was going to be an expensive movie, and they were a little sensitive because they were getting a lot of bad press that they had just screwed up the Batman franchise. Because of the corporate environment, all of the decisions are basically fear-based. So I think one of the aspects that lead to their decision was that somehow they were going to **** up another franchise. If they`d just allowed us to make the film I think that we could have done something interesting. And, you know, it was going to be an expensive movie. They made a choice. They had this and Wild, Wild West, and they opted for that and canned this one. It`s frustrating."
Nicolas Cage said "Superman, yeah, I went pretty far down the road with Tim Burton on that. And at the time, Warner Brothers just wasn't ready to pull the trigger so to speak because it was incredibly expensive and that was at a period in their career, Warner Brothers, where they were being cautious with the money."

PSU442 said:
cage approached Peters and Burton because he was a huge fan and wanted to play LEX LUTHER.... Peters And Burton decided to cast him as Superman (to be controversal.) Even Cage himself was perplexed by this... and now laughs about it.

Cage really wanted to be Superman in the movie. Cage said "I hope I can still do this because I think it will be a very enchanted movie. It's okay to be different because Superman is different. If one child sees that and says 'maybe I'm Superman' then I've done my job.
I believe that a movie based on Superman has an important value. The death of Superman and his resurrection will be a part of the story, but I have other points that I want to address in the Superman character that haven't really been examined before. Superman is a great story. It's one of those phenomenons that operates on so many different levels that still haven't been explored. One of the things I like about Superman is the notion of nurture versus nature. Is he more Kryptonian, or is he more the Kents, his adopted parents? These are big issues that we`re thinking about, like genetics and scientific things of that nature. So Superman is a remarkable achievement. These two guys, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, were considered nerds, who were from Canada, wore glasses, which back in the 30's was a big deal. These two guys who were oppressed invented the alter ego concept, of being a super man. And everybody said, `Oh, don't do it; it's ridiculous.` But they knew they had gold, and they held on to it for four years. Then, as soon as it came out, it was an overnight sensation. So there's something there, and I saw it for me as an opportunity to reach a lot of kids around the world and say something positive. To me, Superman is an opportunity to reach children all around the world, and to say something to them that I believe. I guess I'm trying to take the judgment out of the way kids treat each other. To me, this project is very important because it's going to affect children around the world. What do I want to see happen to children around the world? I can't claim that I'm really going to be able to do this, but at least I can try. Which is if I can play up to Superman's feelings of being an alien, feeling different, feeling weird—basically feeling like the kid I felt like when I was in school—then I can maybe get that little boy to stop teasing that little boy because Superman is different. That's my thought process. Maybe that's a little too weighty, but at least it's positive."

STC said:
I read somewhere that this is Superman's official suit for Superman Lives.
I do like this costume, it looks pretty cool.:up:

If you think this looks cool, then you don't know Superman.

theBat-Man said:
Correct you if your wrong? You are wrong. He would have flown in the movie before he dies, then after his resurrection he is virturally powerless and wears the Kryptonian suit.
supercaged2yw.jpg

Then the K suit would disintergrate to reveal Superman in an update of his traditional blue suit.

nick1.jpg

And everything you just said would have happened in the film is why the thing would have sucked. Burton would have destroyed Superman. Cage would have destroyed Superman. Thank God this never happend.

It would have been interesting, but definetely not Superman. Burton has a habit of when taking full control of something, to completely dismantle it and take it away from its core. He would have been great with some of the visuals though. But I do remember seeing that preview poster in cienmas. I think it was around 1998 or something like that. It must have been pretty far into production. Does anyone have a large picture of the symbol to be used on the suit? I want to make a t-shirt with it, and I need a large one in the classic colors. That would be much appreciated.

Superman is not dark and mysterious, Batman is. Superman is more cheerful and colourful, why make Superman a tim burton batman rehash?

Cage could probably play a superman villian but not superman himself, he definatly couldnt play superman like routh can

Superman isint meant to be a dark, evil, odd characther hes meant to be a Hero standing for human rights defending the earth and brining criminals to justice etc not a complete badass dark weird guy.

Casting someone because of controversy doesnt actually mean it will be good, "oh ill cast cage and everything will be amazing". No.

People complained about Routh's adjusted suit like heck and that was only minor changes (personally i think it is the best suit) imagine Cage's suit, it would have sucked, not keeping up with the classic style would have been wrong i think

I know this is a thread about Tim Burton's Superman Movie, but does anyone know how much Brett Ratner was going to change on the suit. The only thing I heard was that he was going to have a Black "S" face (More like Kingdom come) instead of the classic yellow, but what was he going keep Supes classic undies or was he going to take them away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"