Superman & Lois General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Superman & Lois' started by flickchick85, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

So how much of Supergirl do I have to watch for this show?

2. flickchick85 Admin of Might

None so far. There’s no real connection at this point. Even Lucy with the same actress is apparently a totally different take.

vantheman77 and Lily Adler like this.
  3. Karelia Always Hold On To Smallville...

The only episodes I watched of Supergirl were the ones that had Hoechlin's Clark Kent/Superman in it, but they really aren't necessary.

vantheman77, Lily Adler and Kev4000 like this.
  4. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

It's almost as if they've ignored all continuity and elements from Supergirl so you can pretty much start from scratch with S&L.

Prison Mike and Lily Adler like this.
  5. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

Didn't that woman in the mines say Bizarro was more powerful than they thought?

Luthor does create Bizarro in John Byrne's Man of Steel series. Maybe he tried to create a Superman clone and it went wrong and it was put down there. I remember the showrunner said there's a red herring villain for Lois which I'll assume is this cult leader but there's a real villain for Lois? Maybe it leads Lois to Luthor? Lot of assumptions and guesses, but it's fun to speculate!

Karelia likes this.
  6. NotNickFury Registered

Honestly, all you need for this series is probably Crisis on Infinite Earths and that's it.

Lily Adler likes this.
  7. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Not even that, because the pilot and one of the later episodes gives you all the backstory you need, and none of it even involves anything pre crisis. As far as anyone in that world is concerned too, no-one even knows about crisis.

8. Dr. From parts unknown

Superman’s first appearance on Supergirl (“The Adventures of Supergirl”) is definitely worth a look inasmuch as it was kind of a “medley of greatest hits.” E.g., classic shirt rip, heroic rescues and battles, bumbling/comedic CK (but still an accomplished investigative reporter!), commanding and revered as Supes, the supportive and wise cousin, etc.

Of course, due to “Crisis,” Superman’s backstory was rewritten. So many/most of the character moments in this Supergirl episode would have been erased from continuity. Therefore, it’s functionally irrelevant and unconnected to Superman & Lois.

dhandler01 likes this.
  9. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

We have to remember that Lois will have a villain of her own this season.

10. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

Finally got caught up...I love this friggin show! I love that they don't drag out the lame drama and just get right to the good stuff. Perfect amount of family, superheroics, teenage BS and Superman fokelore. They just get it.

Rick190293 and flickchick85 like this.
  11. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

if anything I'd say it's better to not seen anything from Supergirl... trying to draw a connection from the to shows just makes it confusing... it's best to think of this as it's own timeline

Karelia and vantheman77 like this.
  12. Slick Yup

vantheman77 likes this.
  13. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I wonder if S&L will feature Jimmy Olsen's younger brother whose name is also Jimmy. That way they could recast the role.

Slick likes this.
  14. Sithborg Registered

15. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

Wait...isn't that the stupid Smallville story where Jimmy was a drug addict or something?

16. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

[​IMG]

17. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Lucy Lane is the only one from the Supergirl TV series to appear for this season.

I can see other members of Supergirl cast to appear either later in the 2nd season or possible 3rd season if it gets renewed.

Alex Danvers previously did the Flash crossover as I can see as the next person to appear.

18. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

It was the Smallville story where Jimmy Olsen died before he was ever even able to work at the Daily Planet alongside Superman. And this was a permanent death, so it threw a spanner in the works as far as traditional Superman canon went.

So to get round that, in the very final episode they showed Jimmy Olsen's younger brother also named Jimmy (because his parents liked the name so much that they named both sons that) who grew up to look exactly like his older brother. And that's how they managed to realign with canon.

19. NotNickFury Registered

I don't see Benoist showing up, even though I'm sure many would want that. The show would have to concoct a scenario or threat big enough that Clark couldn't handle on his own- even if he had John's help. If Benoist only showed up as Kara, folks would see it as a missed opportunity that the two didn't suit up together again.

Plus, the only nod last season that would've referenced Kara was cut, so I don't see the series rushing to have her show up anytime soon.

Maybe she'll pull a Clark in Supergirl Season 1 and send him a text message.

vantheman77 likes this.
  20. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

Right but he was using pain meds before that after Chloe and him broke up and he was attacked by (not)Doomsday. It was stupid.

I like Smallville but I want nothing to do with that crap ever again. It was fine for Crisis but it needs to stay in its own pocket universe far away from modern comic shows.

21. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

She could show up as Supergirl but not fight a villain. Maybe she shows up to help teach the son how to adapt his powers or something. If she wants to they could find a way to make it work just like when they found reasons to have her do episodes of The Flash. Not saying they will, but there are ways to make it work without having to deal with any of the mess.

Most of any episode she is in though would be as Kara so it wouldn't matter anyways.

22. Dr. From parts unknown

It might be cute to have civilian Kara visit Clark and the family. But she’d have to do this on the QT. On the last episode of Supergirl, Kara “came out” and revealed her secret identity to the world. So it would probably arouse suspicion if the Girl of Steel was just kinda hanging out at the Kent farm. :ebr:

23. Sithborg Registered

Yeah, Thanksgiving, such a HUGE threat....

Snow Queen likes this.
  24. hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

I was just rewatching Elseworlds & Crisis & as much as I do love the Arrowverse in its own way, there are just so many cringe moments, especially in comparison to Superman & Lois. Watching the scenes with Lois & Clark it just feels so far from where we are now.

I think that's why I feel so closed to Kara making an appearance. I'm just so scared of it being cringe and out of place in this new tone.

But maybe I could be proved wrong!

25. Brierrose Registered

It’s nice that Tyler remembers that Supergirl and all it’s characters still exist, I sure wish the S&L showrunners did. I don’t blame Tyler for what I’ve read is happening on his show. At this point I wouldn’t trust the showrunners not mess with the established Earth-Prime characters, what they did with Lucy Lane is proof. From what I’ve read they can’t do a simple picture of Kara without cutting it. Short of Kara being shown as superior to her cousin in some way, no it doesn’t have to be a fight, I don’t want S&L to be given a chance to disparage Supergirl further. Hard pass.

Honestly since next season will probably be the last for Flash so if anyone from Supergirl is going to do a guest appearance it should be there. The showrunners on that show have a better track record. The three characters from Supergirl with the strongest ties to Flash are Kara, Alex, and J’onn. They should offer Melissa, Chyler, or David a directing spot to sweeten the deal.