Superman & Lois General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!)

Both WB and Paramount each own 12 percent of CW. A show or two from WB may remain in CW.

That's up to Nexstar now though. After the 22-23 TV season, the network has no contractual obligation to air a Paramount or WB show.

I do think they'll keep one or two, but I also feel they want out of the superhero side as it's simply too expensive.

They'd be wise to keep Superman & Lois because it's biggest superhero brand on TV.

Given all the signs and signals coming out of the new CW, it wouldn’t be a surprise if this was the last season for S&L. As to whether the show could be picked up by HBO Max… I dunno. Seems like they go for more R-rated DC stuff (like Peacemaker, Titans, Doom Patrol, Pennyworth, etc.). :shrug:

While I do think it's days are numbered (certainly on The CW), it would be absolutely crazy if Pennyworth got a fourth season and this didn't.

HBOMax is dying too. Only HBO originals like House of the Dragon are safe

No it isn't they are just merging it with Discovery Plus which means things are gonna shift. The previous regime burned through a lot of money so some things after gonna have to change.

If anything just in case Todd Helbing and his writing staff should be writing this season with an end in mind just like Geoff Johns is doing with Stargirl. If perhaps this doesn’t go to HBO Max we would at least have a satisfying ending if it doesn’t but leave the ending open but maybe a tease of the future but no cliffhangers if it does move to HBO Max. I think that would be the right move.

The CW's plan for the 2023-2024 season:

...lower cost, broader appeal, and more unscripted fare and minimal content from former co-owners Warner Brothers Discovery and Paramount Global.

There may some contractual holdovers. And going forward, “Warner and Paramount are not precluded from selling us programming. It’s just going to have to be a financial deal that we like. And there may be a couple of shows that distinguish themselves this year that we want to hold over to next year,”

What's the likelihood that S&L is one of those shows? :ebr:

The CW Just Needs A Few Shows Like ‘Schitt’s Creek’ – Nexstar CEO – Deadline

The CW's plan for the 2023-2024 season:

...lower cost, broader appeal, and more unscripted fare and minimal content from former co-owners Warner Brothers Discovery and Paramount Global.

There may some contractual holdovers. And going forward, “Warner and Paramount are not precluded from selling us programming. It’s just going to have to be a financial deal that we like. And there may be a couple of shows that distinguish themselves this year that we want to hold over to next year,”

What's the likelihood that S&L is one of those shows? :ebr:

The CW Just Needs A Few Shows Like ‘Schitt’s Creek’ – Nexstar CEO – Deadline

It would need to get gangbuster ratings and I'm not convinced it has what it takes in its third season. The production budget of each episode and price of the license fee might just be too high.

Hopefully WBD are thinking of putting the show on HBO Max. However, Gunn and Safran might want to put the whole CW era behind him anyway and let it go out quietly.

Reactions: Dr.
I also wonder what the effects of MoS 2 and the reintroduction of Cavill will have on the future of the show. It’s unfortunate because while the show can be a bit soap opera-y and the effects are clearly television budgeted, the creativity, passion, and characterizations in this show are superlative. Hoechlin is a great Superman and a great Clark and Tulloch is an amazing Lois. I love that we have a Rebirth inspired Superman who is also a dad and husband. And the flashback episode from Season One is the best Superman content I’ve ever seen on film.

Given it’s a Nexstar decision whether they keep the show or not I would say the Superman movie has no bearing on the Superman and Lois staying on air or not

Given it’s a Nexstar decision whether they keep the show or not I would say the Superman movie has no bearing on the Superman and Lois staying on air or not

One would think. Presumably, Berlanti & Co. duly paid for/licensed the rights to Supes from DC for the TV show. So, it doesn’t seem likely (legal?) that DC could suddenly and arbitrarily withdraw the license on orders from WBD Head Office. :shrug:

One would think. Presumably, Berlanti & Co. duly paid for/licensed the rights to Supes from DC for the TV show. So, it doesn’t seem likely (legal?) that DC could suddenly and arbitrarily withdraw the license on orders from WBD Head Office. :shrug:

I do get the feeling from recent comments that Gunn & Safran will probably be looking to end the shows they can. Feels like they want everything connected, aside from the Reevesverse stuff which will connect with its own stuff and Joker, although at most that’s gonna be a trilogy I’d imagine. So if S&L is canned by Nextar they’ll probably be happy about it.

Zaslav says otherwise. :o

I’ve finally caught up on the last couple episodes of S2. What a great show. I really hope it keeps going for at least 2 more seasons. Looking forward to season 3 and I’m glad they got rid of some of the ridiculous padding in the Superman suit. That being said, I’m sure if only has one more season, so I hope it gets wrapped up nicely.

The best TV episodes of 2022

Superman & Lois, "Waiting for Superman" (The CW)

(Written by Brent Fletcher and Todd Helbing, directed by Gregory Smith)

This season 2 ender had plenty of action, as Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) must recover his powers to defeat a cult leader-turned-superbeing from merging two different versions of Earth. But it's the & Lois part of this Arrowverse drama that elevates this episode to worthy of this list. While her husband is asking his estranged brother to literally throw him into the sun, Lois (Bitsie Tulloch) fights to make it back to her family — as does her friend Kyle (Erik Valdez) as well as her surrogate daughter (her actual daughter in an alternate universe) Natalie (Taylor Buck). Miraculously without feeling overstuffed, Superman manages multiple family reunions… and a few tears. —P.G.

With the big reveal at the end of season two that the Earth for Superman and Lois was Earth-Prime

Shouldn't that be wasn't Earth Prime? Since we know that S&L takes place on its own Earth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"