Superman & Lois General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!)

Actually, he kinda' is. There was an episode of Arrow that dealt with his stepdad, who was named Roy Stewart. It's a name he could adopt? Is there anything in GL lore about John Stewart's parents?
I’m aware, and that’s my point: retroactively giving him John Stewart’s name doesn’t make him John Stewart. John Stewart doesn’t have Diggle’s backstory and vice versa. They’re not similar characters beyond being black guys who served in the military. John Stewart was a marine, not army, who was court marshaled for striking a superior officer. He went back to school in California and became an architect. He’s from a poor area of Detroit. His mom was a liberal activist who didn’t approve of him joining the marines. He has a problem with authority figures due to his early experiences with police in his youth and the activist upbringing from his mother. He was married to Katma Tui and is now a widower. He’s not a husband to Lyla Michaels, nor a father. Nor does he have a dead brother. He would never have gone into business as a babysitter for a rich entitled playboy billionaire. They are simply two different, distinctive characters. So going back and “kinda-sorta” giving Diggle John Stewart’s name and acting like that suddenly makes them the same character is exactly what doesn’t sit right with me.

I’m wondering if CCXP will be where they reveal the new Superman suit, Batwoman has been confirmed for the event so it’s possible.

In theory, like I've read the comics have done, the Kents can pass Clark off as having been born during a snowstorm and he be legalized as their child. They can't just say they adopted him. Legalization, as far as I know, is necessary. Smallville had a way that it would look legal.
Well, of course. And this show could also have the Kents legally adopt Clark/Kal-El. The story could be that he was abandoned and found. Makes more sense in today's world than them suddenly having a 6-month old and hoping no one remembers or notices that Martha was never pregnant.

I’m aware, and that’s my point: retroactively giving him John Stewart’s name doesn’t make him John Stewart. John Stewart doesn’t have Diggle’s backstory and vice versa. They’re not similar characters beyond being black guys who served in the military.
Think of it as having a creative license with the character?

The new Batwoman is an entirely new character, they've wrote for three versions of the Black Canary character (all of which have been accepted), we've got a time travelling band of misfits... these are just some of the inconsistencies or out the box elements that nobody has too much of an issue with.

Regardless, there's an ample number of people who want to see this happen, I'd say more than those that don't.

I get why some people might want want this, but it's the best chance we've got at getting the Lantern Corps in the Arrowverse, and so I'm all for it. It's just a shame it couldn't have happened earlier.

Think of it as having a creative license with the character?

The new Batwoman is an entirely new character, they've wrote for three versions of the Black Canary character (all of which have been accepted), we've got a time travelling band of misfits... these are just some of the inconsistencies or out the box elements that nobody has too much of an issue with.

Regardless, there's an ample number of people who want to see this happen, I'd say more than those that don't.

I get why some people might want want this, but it's the best chance we've got at getting the Lantern Corps in the Arrowverse, and so I'm all for it. It's just a shame it couldn't have happened earlier.
The new Batwoman has at least been written to be Batwoman. She wasn’t retroactively squeezed into that mold after her character had firmly been established as not Batwoman, just because a fan theory sounded cool. This would be like taking some minor character with a completely different story and then deciding later to reveal her real name was Kathy Kane so she could take up the Batwoman mantle. Sort of like what they did with the Canaries, which was complete and utter garbage (and I don’t find that to be an unpopular opinion at all). There’s creative license, and there’s laziness. This is the latter, imo.

I’m glad you’re looking forward to it. I wish I could be. I hope it lives up to your expectations.

I’m glad you’re looking forward to it. I wish I could be. I hope it lives up to your expectations.
As far as the Arrowverse goes, my expectations have been quite low for a rather long time, and because of that, they're often met. :oops:

Well, of course. And this show could also have the Kents legally adopt Clark/Kal-El. The story could be that he was abandoned and found. Makes more sense in today's world than them suddenly having a 6-month old and hoping no one remembers or notices that Martha was never pregnant.
That's not the comic story.

Why would the baby have to be six months old and not a newborn? I think the idea of the snowstorm was that it would make allowance for the idea that it's unlikely Martha would be seen in potentially months, depending on the snow situation. Like it'd been a freak cold thing for a maybe a few months, I think likely in january or febuary.
No joke, in that trailer where she hangs upside down and says "boo", I think I've never liked this shows version of Batwoman more.

No joke, in that trailer where she hangs upside down and says "boo", I think I've never liked this shows version of Batwoman more.
The part of my post you were quoting, I was actually referring to the Diggle/GL thing. I haven't seen that trailer yet, but I'm rooting for the new Batwoman. She can't be worse than Ruby Rose, imo.

That's not the comic story.
Yes, this entire show is an adaptation and "not the comic story". There are already several big changes to Superman lore in place, I'm just saying that the Kents (who seemingly have minor roles) being non-white could also be a change that the show could easily incorporate. The writers can write whatever explanation they need to about legalizing Clark, for any route they take. The point is, the Kents being non-white is an option. But I get that not everyone is going to like that.

...I'm just saying that the Kents (who seemingly have minor roles) being non-white could also be a change that the show could easily incorporate.

It could

Yet according to the woke faction, this might be an even worse scenario. The charge would be that this “diverse casting” is only superficially progressive — and the effort is betrayed by making the roles minor or fleeting. Think “bury your gays” and similar tropes.

I HATE the idea of making Diggle John Stewart. With a burning passion. Back when I was watching Arrow, I thought Diggle was an amazing original character and he should stay that way. In every medium, creators should be looking to expand lore, not shrink it.
Always just felt like people brought it up because his name's John, he's Black, and former military.

Yes, this entire show is an adaptation and "not the comic story". There are already several big changes to Superman lore in place, I'm just saying that the Kents (who seemingly have minor roles) being non-white could also be a change that the show could easily incorporate. The writers can write whatever explanation they need to about legalizing Clark, for any route they take. The point is, the Kents being non-white is an option. But I get that not everyone is going to like that.
I don't like changing the origins like that. I mean, why not have the Waynes die in a home invasion or something? That's not the comic story. There's also the whole, Clark is an alien and why would they find a baby in a spaceship and put him into the system to be adopted? I think in order to make that work, is more forced and, as far as I think the show would go, doesn't benefit the characters/story. What's the point?

I mean, anything is technically an option for the origin. Clark could've come to earth at age 8 and been taken in off the streets by a dojo owner who trained him how to control his powers. But that's not the comic origin.

If they went that route they should've just used Calvin Ellis or Val-Zod.

God is funny. I was thinking something similar earlier.

They can make that show, if you want to do that.
Agreed. That's what pisses me off so much about MCU Spider-Man (aka Iron Man jr) because they took everything that made Miles well Miles and gave it to Peter. My thing is if you wanted to use Miles then use Miles and if you wanted to have or use Ultimate Peter Parker then you should've continued with The Amazing Spider-Man movies and use him for the MCU. I just think it's wrong that they took Miles life and gave it to Peter because if they did that with Miles people would've been going nuts.

VoMSgill.png

Havinv a black adoptive parent doesnt infringe on Val's origin/character and doesnt call for a completely different character.

Agreed. That's what pisses me off so much about MCU Spider-Man (aka Iron Man jr) because they took everything that made Miles well Miles and gave it to Peter. My thing is if you wanted to use Miles then use Miles and if you wanted to have or use Ultimate Peter Parker then you should've continued with The Amazing Spider-Man movies and use him for the MCU. I just think it's wrong that they took Miles life and gave it to Peter because if they did that with Miles people would've been going nuts.

I can agree with that but thats the sad thing about newer characters. Pieces of them are taken and given to the original to help keep them relevant. Just like with Barry taking from Wally, etc..

I can’t believe the new suit hasn’t dropped yet, they’re filming outdoors tomorrow

Whomever created that fake, I must say, "Damn", that is a good manipulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"