Superman & Lois General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!)

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like the producers could easily use the pilot as the start of a whole new Arrowverse.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like the producers could easily use the pilot as the start of a whole new Arrowverse.

I wouldn't mind that. Start fresh. Do you bring the same actors back for the roles (Green Arrow, Flash, Black Lightning, etc.) Or do you recast? Or just focus completely on Superman characters/villians?

That's great. A lot of people have been done with/checked out on CW superheroes, but a lot of positive reviews, youtbe reactions all across the board have pretty much been positive too. I don't think I saw one negative review for the pilot episode on YouTube. I watched quite a few too haha. I guess everyone is seeing what the hype is all about!

Encouraging signs for episode 2's ratings. As I said in another thread, Walker's ratings kinda took a dive after its premiere, so if this can hold its audience, it could be the top show of the network. As it deserves, imo.

It kinda remind me of the Smallville pilot when it aired and was a critical success. May Superman and Lois have a long successful run in a similar fashion.

It kinda remind me of the Smallville pilot when it aired and was a critical success. May Superman and Lois have a long successful run in a similar fashion.

I said this in another thread, but it really had the heart of Smallville in this episode, with the visuals/action of Man of Steel (for a TV Budget especially.) I really think this could be something special if they keep the writing as well as they did with this pilot. Who was the writers for this? The usual crew? I usually see Berlanti involved.

Yeah, I love Smallville, but if they ended it at Season 5 I wouldn't have been upset. There's great episode sprinkled throughout the other half of the series, but it did lose a little spark after awhile. Mainly being held back and not being able to move on to being a legit Superman/Metropolis show.

I said this in another thread, but it really had the heart of Smallville in this episode, with the visuals/action of Man of Steel (for a TV Budget especially.) I really think this could be something special if they keep the writing as well as they did with this pilot. Who was the writers for this? The usual crew? I usually see Berlanti involved.

Smallville is still very near and dear to me, rewatching Season One just brings back nostalgia.

It was Helbing. That's why I was happy when he was announced as showrunner, just because he was the one who gave us the best of The Flash S1 and was the only writer who treated Supergirl well in the first crossover. I always considered him one of the best Arrowverse writers...when he was engaged with the material, at least (he was pretty clearly checked out in the later seasons of The Flash that he worked on, lol).

To me this has the MoS aesthetic, but with the heart of classic Superman (and whatever you wanna include in that - comics, Donner, Lois & Clark, Smallville, what have you).

Smallville is still very near and dear to me, rewatching Season One just brings back nostalgia.

That was my Superman growing up. I still watch it from time to time to this day. It really does hold a special place in my life as well. Me, my brother, and mom use to watch every new episode together. Good times. Especially the earlier episodes. It was really the only superhero series on TV at that time. At least that I can remember.

It was Helbing. That's why I was happy when he was announced as showrunner, just because he was the one who gave us the best of The Flash S1 and was the only writer who treated Supergirl well in the first crossover. I always considered him one of the best Arrowverse writers...when he was engaged with the material, at least (he was pretty clearly checked out in the later seasons of The Flash, lol).

To me this has the MoS aesthetic, but with the heart of classic Superman (and whatever you wanna include in that - comics, Donner, Lois & Clark, Smallville, what have you).

That makes sense. I absolutely loved the first two seasons of The Flash. Unfortunately, the later seasons have been very mediocre to me with a couple of good ones thrown in. I really hope he stays on this series then. Agreed with the last part of the post as well. I really hope this series takes off, which it is off to a good start I'd say.

Edit: Sorry for double posting.

That makes sense. I absolutely loved the first two seasons of The Flash. Unfortunately, the later seasons have been very mediocre to me with a couple of good ones thrown in. I really hope he stays on this series then. Agreed with the last part of the post as well. I really hope this series takes off, which it is off to a good start I'd say.

Edit: Sorry for double posting.
Yeah, he left The Flash in S5 and you can tell he was ready to leave a couple seasons before that, lol. I hope he stays too, BUT only so long as he acknowledges and works to correct the representation issues Nadria Tucker brought up. A show about Superman should represent his values from the top down, imo, and that means inclusivity. The show just started, so there's still time to course correct on that front, and I hope they do.

Yeah, he left The Flash in S5 and you can tell he was ready to leave a couple seasons before that, lol. I hope he stays too, BUT only so long as he acknowledges and works to correct the representation issues Nadria Tucker brought up. A show about Superman should represent his values from the top down, imo, and that means inclusivity. The show just started, so there's still time to course correct on that front, and I hope they do.
Now that we are going to have a black film Superman, that is all the representation that is necessary. :o

In all seriousness, I didn't notice the lack of representation, until they got to the beach. Then it was a bunch of kids and for some reason felt noticeable. You know, when the one kid of color decided to start kicking the crap out of the super sons. :dry:

Work out that issue guys. Because outside of that, the episode was great.

Unfortunately knowing what we know it doesnt seem like it'll get better and even Lois's storyline may fall short. We'll see how it goes though and they wont really be able to course correct until S2.

The biggest thing that I'm concerned about is how far they can take the story with Lois and Clark's sons before it becomes stale and repetitive.

I mean there's only so much that you can do with them without jumping the shark. The only reason why it worked for Smallville was because we knew what Clark's endgame was.

The biggest thing that I'm concerned about is how far they can take the story with Lois and Clark's sons before it becomes stale and repetitive.

I mean there's only so much that you can do with them without jumping the shark. The only reason why it worked for Smallville was because we knew what Clark's endgame was.
I am hoping that the shorter seasons mean they don't linger on aspects too long in that regard. I was pleasantly surprised how fast the situations with the kids seemed to move in the first episode. I am sure it will slow down, but a reveal like that could have taken a half a season on some shows. :funny:

Last edited:

I feel like if they play their cards right, keep the seasons at 13-16 episodes they should be fine.

S1 will be about them discovering part of their lineage that they never knew about.
S2 embracing that lineage and figuring out do they want to follow in their fathers footsteps?
S3 learning how to be superheroes in their own right. Will power corrupt one of them?
S4 where do they go from High School? What does life look like? Will they join Teen Titans? Legion of Superheroes? Strike out on their own?

On another note, I'll be a little disappointed if they don't make any direct references to Kara's character before the conclusion of this season.

So is this series going to have less episodes than the rest of the CW superhero series? I'm down with that honestly.

On another note, I'll be a little disappointed if they don't make any direct references to Kara's character before the conclusion of this season.

I want her to come and visit the farm and maybe even babysit the kids.

But what happens if one of them used to have a crush on Supergirl? Wouldn't that be a bit awkward now?

Also, doesn't the Kent farm look different to how it looked in one of the Supergirl episodes?

They wouldn't have one of them have a crush on Supergirl. The way to avoid that awkward scenario is simply not to write it, lol.

So is this series going to have less episodes than the rest of the CW superhero series? I'm down with that honestly.

Because of delays due to COVID, the S&L team were able (I think :shrug:) to write all 13 episodes before production began. So in theory, this would make for a tight and cohesive season arc. (Apparently, this is atypical for a network series. Most operate with a make-it-up-as-we-go approach.)

However, just recently the CW ordered 2 additional episodes of S&L — which might mean some filler instead of tight and cohesive. :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"