Superman Red Son is coming

Kingdom Come will only work as a miniseries. If people think Civil War was truncated, I don't know how Kingdom Come could be done without any lead up movies.

I disagree I think you can do it in the length of one animated movie.

I'm defintely interested in watching this since Superman Red Son is one of the best Superman comics ever and its about time that they're doing this. I just hope the animation is good since they've become lackluster in the last few DC animated movies. In my opinion the New 52 movies have been boring and terrible.

I think it has for the Batman ones, but I think Throne of Atlantis was good and the Death of Superman was incredible. The animation in the latter just got better and better as the film wore on and the story itself, my word it's the best version of the Death of Superman I've seen or read.

I disagree I think you can do it in the length of one animated movie.

Well as a live action film you could do it in 2 hours 30 easily.

Every time I read Kingdom Come it surprises me again that it runs just four issues. The sheer scope makes it seem that much longer. It really is superbly tight storytelling.

It's been awhile since I've read Red Son, but I remember enjoying it. So um excited for it.

You would think with the hype surrounding Aquaman, they may would have tried to put in motion an Aquaman animated film. I know they made one. But I'd like to see some love given to some more DC characters.

I didn't get the appeal of the comic, it seemed clear that Superman established and for a long time ran an authoritarian state, in pretty brutal ways, and that Batman long thought that and at the end one particular comment makes Superman realize that he has, it's true and that's bad ... :huh:.

Also making Lex a Bad Evil American Capitalist felt OK but unimpressive, very basic, reversal of that '50s comics/culture demonized Soviet Communists (though weird though kind of interesting that he sort of redeems himself near the end) and it felt disappointing that the comic never went into, as you hoped and thought it would, discovering and reacting to that Superman was an alien (or more wondering about why or how else he had superpowers) and he ultimately wasn't.

It's been awhile since I've read Red Son, but I remember enjoying it. So um excited for it.

You would think with the hype surrounding Aquaman, they may would have tried to put in motion an Aquaman animated film. I know they made one. But I'd like to see some love given to some more DC characters.

Well we have 4 animated films this year so I’d say 4 are likely again next year 2 are the Long halloween and 1 is Red Son. That leaves one slot so maybe that will be an Aquaman animated film or maybe like Throne of Atlantis was where it was an Aquaman film disguised as a JL film.

I need to read Red Son again (have forgotten much of it, sadly), but I recall it as a truly fascinating Elseworlds story. If they get it right, I'm definitely in for this.

I didn't get the appeal of the comic, it seemed clear that Superman established and for a long time ran an authoritarian state, in pretty brutal ways, and that Batman long thought that and at the end one particular comment makes Superman realize that he has, it's true and that's bad ... :huh:.

Also making Lex a Bad Evil American Capitalist felt OK but unimpressive, very basic, reversal of that '50s comics/culture demonized Soviet Communists (though weird though kind of interesting that he sort of redeems himself near the end) and it felt disappointing that the comic never went into, as you hoped and thought it would, discovering and reacting to that Superman was an alien (or more wondering about why or how else he had superpowers) and he ultimately wasn't.

Interestingly everything you've said there is pretty much right....and also the reasons I loved Red Son.

As far as the world reacting to Superman as a alien....it does, as country after country falls under his reign. Also, Lex Luthor pretty much provides all the commentary anyone needs throughout the story on this particular point - referring to Superman as an alien in most of his speeches.
What the story also explores is what would happen if Luthor won: would he make good on his claim that he could solve all of humanity's problems, if that damn alien wasn't getting in the way.

I love the comic. A good example of why Superman is great character when given a good story.

For those who haven't read it, they have the motion comic on YouTube...

Here's the rest; 25 episodes, no more than 4 minutes each...

Superman: Red Son Motion Comics - YouTube

I think it has for the Batman ones, but I think Throne of Atlantis was good and the Death of Superman was incredible. The animation in the latter just got better and better as the film wore on and the story itself, my word it's the best version of the Death of Superman I've seen or read.
The Batman movies are terrible and the voice actor for the New 52 Batman isn't good imo. I haven't seen the Death of Superman yet but I heard good things about it so I will defintely check it out. But I'm glad that they're doing Elseworlds movies again.

The Batman movies are terrible and the voice actor for the New 52 Batman isn't good imo. I haven't seen the Death of Superman yet but I heard good things about it so I will defintely check it out. But I'm glad that they're doing Elseworlds movies again.

They’re kinda boring I find, Damien Wayne is what kills them for me mostly. I didn’t mind Batman Bad Blood though. Ya know I would have agreed with you but I don’t mind him in the JL ones.

Definitely check out the Death of Superman. Not sure where you live not on the 14th seems to be worldwide some cinemas are showing the Death of Superman/Reign of the Superman. That could be worth you checking out.

I might be in the minority where I think it's an overrated Superman story. Not even a top three Superman elseworlds IMO. Though, I've always disliked Mark Millar in general. His stuff here is more tolerable than the majority of his work though.

Death of Superman is better than any of the recent Batman animated movies. I honestly haven’t been a big fan of the voice actor for Batman or any of those recent movies in general. They were better when they didn’t adhere to any continuity.

I might be in the minority where I think it's an overrated Superman story. Not even a top three Superman elseworlds IMO. Though, I've always disliked Mark Millar in general. His stuff here is more tolerable than the majority of his work though.
Whilst I'm a fan of Red Son I agree with you about Millar in general.

Every time I read Kingdom Come it surprises me again that it runs just four issues. The sheer scope makes it seem that much longer. It really is superbly tight storytelling.

I re-read KC recently. It is superbly written, one of DC's best ever superhero stories. Great storytelling but also a great story itself - and a really satisfying conclusion.

I've never read any of the follow ups, and kind of glad I haven't - as from what I understand they are all inferior to the original - Alex Ross didn't like where Waid was going with some of the story elements and didn't want to be involved. I can't imagine KC without Ross' amazing artwork.

As for KC, the collected edition is the best way to read it IMO, as it includes the epilogue.

I re-read KC recently. It is superbly written, one of DC's best ever superhero stories. Great storytelling but also a great story itself - and a really satisfying conclusion.

I've never read any of the follow ups, and kind of glad I haven't - as from what I understand they are all inferior to the original - Alex Ross didn't like where Waid was going with some of the story elements and didn't want to be involved. I can't imagine KC without Ross' amazing artwork.

As for KC, the collected edition is the best way to read it IMO, as it includes the epilogue.

On the follow ups:
- The Kingdom is abysmal.
- Thy Kingdom Come is superb.

Last edited:
On the follow ups:
- The Kingdom is abysmal.
- They Kingdom Come is superb.

A lot of Waid's work in that period(1999ish) was terrible. It was disheartening for me as he was my favorite writer growing up. The Kingdom was him pulling a Lucas - an awful prequel that crapped all over the original(coincidentally Phantom Menace released in the same year). I remember Waid throwing a tantrum about Ross's criticism of the project. His Flash stuff got to be tiresome too. Morrison injected some life into the book the year before with his short run but Waid returned even worse than ever. He was probably burnt out at the time.

I always thought that red son would be awesome as animated movie but should be done in a long movie or two parts like death of Superman but both parts released together in two disc blu ray. Hope it will have awesome animation and put cameos of the Russian Batman and others in this film. I would get this movie for sure on blu ray.

I always thought that red son would be awesome as animated movie but should be done in a long movie or two parts like death of Superman but both parts released together in two disc blu ray. Hope it will have awesome animation and put cameos of the Russian Batman and others in this film. I would get this movie for sure on blu ray.

There seems to be a lot of people asking for different movies as two parts, personally I don't think Red Son needs to be two parts at all and there's many others I'd lump in the same category. I'd rather not have too many two part ones cause then you miss out on more individual animated movies.

A lot of Waid's work in that period(1999ish) was terrible. It was disheartening for me as he was my favorite writer growing up. The Kingdom was him pulling a Lucas - an awful prequel that crapped all over the original(coincidentally Phantom Menace released in the same year). I remember Waid throwing a tantrum about Ross's criticism of the project. His Flash stuff got to be tiresome too. Morrison injected some life into the book the year before with his short run but Waid returned even worse than ever. He was probably burnt out at the time.

Sad to hear. Waid wrote my favorite ever Flash story "The Return of Barry Allen" which contains IMO the best ever issue of the Flash "The Once and Future Flash". But that was back in 1993.

A lot of folks rave about Superman:Birthright, but it didn't do much for me, I prefer Byrne's Man of Steel but enjoyed Johns' Secret Origin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"