The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Be kind of cool if a new cinematic Superman came out of the Crisis On Infinite Earths story getting ready to be told.

DC fans to WB for a Superman movie..

dcf237.gif

Please, please, pretty please..

Just a rumor, again I stress it's a rumor, but, It's being said JJ may direct Cavill in a soft reboot, lex will most likely be recast ( God I hope so )
New lois, and Possibly ties in to supergirl with a cameo by cavill.
Again, take it with a mountain of salt.

saw the same rumor but JJ looking to recast cavill instead and get a new GL as well

now we know why WB turned down mcquarrie

Where are y'all seeing these rumors? They honestly just sound like someone's random wishful thinking of the day.

I want it to be true but the source is so poor. The Superman and Green Lantern combination sounds like they simply took McQuarrie's ideas and place it into a bogus J.J. Abrams exclusive.

Huh...The "source" in question is cosmicbooknews... It's one of the worst sites around, famous for spreading fake news and all kind of rumours that never get anywhere.

Not that it matters, but I heard from somewhere else. A person not connected to that site, or any other site.

They stress its one of many ideas being thrown around. One being no superman film at all for SEVERAL years.
Still, it's nice to know they are at least talking about Superman.
That I know for sure.

A few years ago I used to talk with a higher up at WB involved with these films and they were nice enough to keep me in the loop back then in regards to Superman. I don't have that anymore so I'm just blindly speculating now but I feel like it's Abrams or bust. If he doesn't sign on I think Superman will be on the backburner for a while and Supergirl will be at the forefront.

Just a rumor, again I stress it's a rumor, but, It's being said JJ may direct Cavill in a soft reboot, lex will most likely be recast ( God I hope so )
New lois, and Possibly ties in to supergirl with a cameo by cavill.
Again, take it with a mountain of salt.

Thinking about it now, it would be weird seeing Cavill with a new Lois, and a new cast...it's like when they revamp a TV show because of bad ratings and something doesn't feel quite right...Not that it couldn't work and I guess I prefer it over no Superman for several years. But ultimately of course I want the movie to work and if that takes several years (though it doesn't need to be that long) then I would prefer the wait than another cut and paste rush job.

I want an entirely new cast. New direction. I don't want to have to make all these compromises just to squeeze Cavill back in. It's not worth it. A complete fresh start gives you the greatest creative freedom.
Agreed. The only advantage of keeping Cavill is a faster start date since you can skip the hunt for a new guy. Other than that, there’s no compelling reason to keep him, and lots of good reasons to recast.

Personally, I think a solo Supes film isn't gonna happen for at least 5 years.
I hate it, but they really don't need him now.

They have WW 2 AQ2, birds of prey, supergirl, sequel to shazam, SS 2, batman, ( and hopefully black adam ) etc.
Why would they? If anything, he'll probably become the nick fury of DC. a cameo here, one there. Maybe.

Last edited:

They have WW 2 AQ2, birds of prey, supergirl, sequel to shazam, SS 2, batman, ( and hopefully black adam ) etc.
Why would they? If anything, he'll probably become the nick fury of DC. a cameo here, one there. Maybe.

If it does take that long, having a Superman cast and making appearances in other movies would certainly help tide things over, just knowing he exists in the DC cinematic universe. Having some certainty would help, whether it's Cavill or not, and having the excitement of casting if it is a new actor. The worse thing is the uncertainty. If we know his involvement (or lack of involvement) in the Supergirl and/or Shazam movies then that is better than not knowing anything.

Thanks.

I personally would be totally on board, as I highly enjoyed the final draft of Flyby more than any movie featuring Superman we've gotten since, but I ain't getting my hopes up here. Not 'til it comes from at least a somewhat reputable source.

I should have read that when I had the chance. A lot of people seemed to like it. I just have a bias against JJ for some reason and I let it get the best of me.

That might not be the worst way to introduce him either. Clark Kent shows up investigating in one film, Superman cameos (with a head) in Shazam 2. Do what the films tried to do post BvS where Superman is referenced all the time but obviously not shown. Build him up for a few years then put it on the screen. Dont rush it just cause another Batman film is coming out.

Right now the Abrams thing is sketchy because it comes off like one of those common sense ideas. Anyone can say they heard the rumor that WB is planning an Abrams Superman movie because that was the lightbulb that went off in everyone's head as soon as it was announced that WB was bidding for his production company.

True, but 5 years isn't that long. It would take around 3 years from when they decided to greenlight a new film before we got it anyway. He might benefit from a break. I'll be happy if he gets a showing in a Supergirl film to start getting audiences interested again.

I'd be perfectly happy if we got a new Supes film 5 years from now. Because that would mean they greenlight it in the next two years, and almost 3 of those years would be spent getting hyped for it, hearing script rumors, watching casting fall into place, set pics, etc. The hype is half the fun, and 5 years is no time at all. It took almost 5 years from when they announced Captain Marvel to the movie actually being released, I was hyped all throughout those 5 years, lol.

I so wished they would have accepted Mcquarries ideas with Cavill. What the hell were they thinking. WB when it comes to comic book movies are so ridiculously poor with the exception that seems to be Joker

Again...do you know what his ideas were? Should they just accept them because its a director certain fans like? Do some research into the Aronofsky Batman pitch and see if that changes your mind.

Not every director is perfect for every project no matter how much fans fancast them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"