The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Yeah, I agree with that.
I loved mos, but I can understand why it split the fanbase. I'm not even gonna speak on BvS or JL.
I wait for the day when we once again get a superman film that the majority either likes or loves.

Yeah, fans can see the portrayal of the character any way they want but at the end of the day, there aren't legions of people out there who felt that Christopher Reeve's Superman, at least in the first film, viewed protecting humanity as a burden. It's clear that he wants to do good and help people and it brings him joy, and that version resonated with people then and still does today. Even if Cavill's Superman was intended to come off like that, there was clearly an issue with the presentation that turned so many people off.

Yeah, fans can see the portrayal of the character any way they want but at the end of the day, there aren't legions of people out there who felt that Christopher Reeve's Superman, at least in the first film, viewed protecting humanity as a burden. It's clear that he wants to do good and help people and it brings him joy, and that version resonated with people then and still does today. Even if Cavill's Superman was intended to come off like that, there was clearly an issue with the presentation that turned so many people off.

For me personally, there's an aura around Snyder's Superman in particular that makes me feel like he thinks there's something wrong with the character that needs to be fixed. That's what informed his decision making. His Batman looked like he thought the character was uber cool and wanted to magnify that. Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman all got visual flair. Superman just seemed flat.

The decisions of what got emphasis, changed, ignored felt like someone putting their nose up. The way he did Jimmy Olsen so wrong was basically what made me realize it. Of all the ways he could have included him, as a photographer or web designer and left him in the background. He went with someone getting shot in the head for a beloved character of Supes fans.

The Maguire, Garfield, or Holland Spiderman have made changes I didn't like but I never felt there was a decision was made to change something out of thinking this part of the mythos is dumb. Raimi flat out admitted he didn't get Venom but that sort of shows what I'm talking about in decisions made out subtraction and not addition.

I wonder who will play her parents Jor El's brother Zor-El and her mother Alura? It stands to reason if they have Russell Crowe reprise his role as Jor-El for this film as well?

If Supergirl is gonna be a DCEU film then you have to have her cousin Kal-El/Clark/Superman show up especially since Superman pretty much started the DCEU film universe with his film back in 2013

However, you establish Kara and her own universe of characters but also with this film you can eventually use this as a bridge towards Man of Steel 2

Strictly my preference, but I'd skip another story of rehashing krypton's destruction.
I'd open the film with comic pages turning, show the why, how, and where.
The live action starts on the farm with a teenage Clark, or

And even older already established Clark/Superman in metropolis.
And oh, I'd set it in the 1950's.

I too would like it to start with an established Supes, and honestly, a brief montage reminiscent of the opening panels of All-Star Superman is all you'd need, imo. Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple. Less than a minute of screentime.

For me, Kal would be into his career as superman for about 6 to 8 years.
Lex is his mortal enemy.

By this point, Lex would have sent several foes to defeat superman, ie, intergang, metallo, toy man, etc. All failed and are housed in a supermax.

But now, a threat is coming that can not only kill superman, but it can destroy the whole planet. Brainiac.

Lex will have to decide, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, or watch his empire get destroyed just to see superman fail.

Well if he wants the job I gotta think it is his. The question is would he make a Superman film that is his own or would it be like TFA where it is just a remake of the original?

His Flyby script was certainly not a Donner remake so I don’t think that’s a big risk.

But frankly, I’d be thrilled to get a Supes movie on the level of TFA at this point, so I’m pretty much down for whatever he’d want to do if he gets on Supes. I think he’s proven he knows how to revive struggling franchises and get audiences into them again better than anyone currently working, considering he’s done it with 3 established IP’s thus far.

JJA signs with WB with the intention of doing DC movies

I doubt AT&T has to tell the WB executives or anyone else their plans thats beneath AT&T

AT&T sells DC

JJA is like WTF

This would be ****ing great

But in reality if AT&T does sell DC its probably gonna be to Bad Robot & it would be anticlimactic if they sold DC to Bad Robot though

ANTICLIMACTIC

So come on AT&T if you do sell DC sell it to Comcast & make them direct competitors with Disney

In what universe is AT&T gonna sell off DC?

DC is the only set of IPs possible to compete with Marvel.

And it has 2 of the most recognizable around the world. (Superman and Batman) AT&T would need to get what LucasFilm got for Star Wars to even entertain the offer...and even then they would be stupid to do so.

So come on AT&T if you do sell DC sell it to Comcast & make them direct competitors with Disney

Comcast (which owns NBC, Universal) cancelled Constantine Series just before airing their final episode, they just sat on Hulk property when they had movie making rights, they still have rights to Namor and don't intend to do anything with it. Good luck to DC if they get sold off to Comcast, we would end up with nothing for years.

I don't trust Abrams with Supes. HIs last Superman ideas were really dumb. I do like Abrams even if he wears his influences on his sleeve, but I just don't trust him with Superman

On another note: I would not mind another origin story. With Spider-Man, Batman, or even Iron Man they've gotten good,semi, modern tellings of their origin. Superman hasn't. And going back to the Donner films, I think those leave a little to be desired when it comes to some elements of Supes' origin.
I really wanna see Clark growing up in Smallville, Superman first arriving in Metropolis, Clark starting at the Daily Planet, etc. done well. I really don't think we've gotten that yet.
Just take elements of Superman Birthright, American Alien, and TAS and I think they have some solid groundwork for a Superman origin

Last edited:
And it has 2 of the most recognizable around the world. (Superman and Batman) AT&T would need to get what LucasFilm got for Star Wars to even entertain the offer...and even then they would be stupid to do so.
DC > Star Wars by far.

A lot of people think Abrams will just jump right on to DC properties, but I think he's going to try making his own things. I joined SHH back when the Flyby script was in production, and I remember all the drama surrounding the making of that film(I also remember JJ tried to get the chance to direct it back then but WB wouldn't let him. How times have changed). JJ has so much clout now, that I don't think he'll have any desire to do anything DC unless it's a dream for him.

A lot of people think Abrams will just jump right on to DC properties, but I think he's going to try making his own things. I joined SHH back when the Flyby script was in production, and I remember all the drama surrounding the making of that film(I also remember JJ tried to get the chance to direct it back then but WB wouldn't let him. How times have changed). JJ has so much clout now, that I don't think he'll have any desire to do anything DC unless it's a dream for him.
You might be right, but everything you said there is what I thought in regards to the "Who will direct the new Star Wars?" question that hung over us when Disney acquired LucasFilm. I knew he loved it, but I absolutely never thought he would actually do it.

And on top of all that, the article singles out IP as a reason he didn't go with Apple and did go with Warner. So the way I see it, it's a DC thing or he just walks in, tears down a Fantastic Beasts poster and informs everyone he's making a new Harry Potter.

Yeah, it's the fact that they specifically say he chose WB for their IP's which gives me the most hope. I mean, what other WB IP's would he actually be interested in? Harry Potter? Looney Toons? DC seems like one of the more genuinely likely options from their stable. Even more so with his long-time BFF and occasional creative partner already involved with that corner of their universe.

I just don’t see him jumping into another beloved franchise rebuild after Star Wars and Trek.

Green Lantern makes more sense. It has the imagery of Star Wars and no one has done a good version of it to compare.

Yeah, it's the fact that they specifically say he chose WB for their IP's which gives me the most hope. I mean, what other WB IP's would he actually be interested in? Harry Potter? Looney Toons? DC seems like one of the more genuinely likely options from their stable. Even more so with his long-time BFF and occasional creative partner already involved with that corner of their universe.

To be fair though he could want to do some other DC character not Superman.

WB have many other underutilized IPs like Hanna Barbara and other properties like -

MV5-BZm-Fi-YTFi-OTkt-Zj-E2-OS00-Mm-Nm-LTlm-M2-Ut-ZWQ4-MDlj-M2-Qz-YTdm-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde.jpg

659386-SX360-QL80-TTD.jpg

ben-10-ps4-xbox-one-nintendo-switch-658x381.png

jetsons.jpg

301512-2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Bren

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member